Thread: The future of Propellers ???

The future of Propellers ???

Re: The future of Propellers ???

Seen this on fb today the image on their looked photo shopped i thought it actually was a joke

Is it a Japanese invention for shallow water?

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Is it a Japanese invention for shallow water?
    That's funny.

TMC

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Looks interesting. Info on that website, if correct, suggests a lot of testing and data to support claims of efficiency improvement.

Wonder how long until they are available in Australia?
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

More to the point, how much and can the prop guys fix them when you kiss a rock?
    What could go wrong.......................

Interesting for sure. Lets see appropriate reviews before saying yae nor nae. We are a skeptical bunch for sure, but then havent we seen it all before, hahahahaha.
    9-15% improvement is a massive call. If its too good to be true............

Link to their Australian patent application HERE . Just because it's in a patent, doesn't necessarily mean it works. But the interesting word in the claims is "lift". Screw type propellers don't provide lift.

I wouldn't rule out the possibilities. And if you think there's nothing new under the sun, have a look at the SailGP vidoes. Who would have thought that 10 years ago. Key word again is LIFT.

Will be interesting to watch.

Probably working on 9-15% less blade area to give the performance benefit.
    Will they be 15% more expensive??
    I'd reckon more.
    Jack.

Guess we will have to wait and see when people start spending their hard earned and real world figures start hitting the streets. There is specific mention of a propeller design in regards the efficiency gain - "the industry standard Wageningen B series design". I did a quick google search and as a layman understood about sweet F- all of the first couple of sites I looked at. Not all propellers are created equal now so whether or not there will be a rather large "individual results may vary" hidden in very fine print will remain to be seen. At a guess though it will be there somewhere. Good to see someone thinking outside the box though.

Expect the racing guys to use them first if they are good.
    Especially in US where they put a heap of HP on the back of a long glass console boat
    Cheers

Trev

interesting idea , reinventing the wheel. yeah naaaaa i use something like that at home to whisk eggs, lots of bubbles..

I would have thought that either props with variable pitch designs, or automatic gearboxes that increase RPM at the prop would enhance boating performance well before static prop designs would.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.