Thread: GPS active tracking

GPS active tracking

Gday guys, just after a suggested active track reading interval? I can use either time based or distance based. It is a Garmin GPSMAP 7012.
    Long story but I have put a transfer of information into my unit off another blokes unit and I am now showing his active track. He was tracking in 15m intervals but I think originally I was a lot finer than this but am not certain? I have researched to find I can store 50,000 track points. As I can store 50 saved tracks I am guessing this 50,000 points is on the active track only?
    How fine do I need this to be set? I am thinking 2 seconds as I think this will give me 27 hours of tracking? I am thinking with the likes of Caloundra bar crossing and Fitzroy / Musgrave lagoon entrances, the finer the better?

What’s the normal for something like this if there is a normal?

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Re: GPS active tracking

I just use my own active track from my trip 'out' across the bar or 'up' the river. I then track back on it if I'm in any doubt.

Having surfed Caloundra bar, I wouldn't rely on a track from days ago, let alone weeks or months ago. The sand movement across there can be dramatic in a few days.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Hi Ah, yeh mate I use it the same way but I am trying to get it as accurate as I can without overwriting it too quickly. I am referring to how often the unit drops a point on the track if you know what I mean.
    Yeh the Caloundra bar does change a bit but it really hasn’t varied much in the last couple of years. Always good to get a fresh track every trip but.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    ... I am referring to how often the unit drops a point on the track if you know what I mean.

TBH, didn't know there was such an option.

But.

I have a Garmin Echomap Plus 65cv which is all very new to me. So no doubt there is an option in the active track menu somewhere.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be along soon.

Personally I run a fairly tight time based resolution on my gear - usually a few seconds but it will depend on how long you want your track log to last. The number of track points given as a specification is usually the total number a machine can store - which includes any saved tracks as well - if you have a total of 10 000 points used in saved tracks, you would then have 40 000 left available to work with as an active track. Both methods of tracking resolution have their up and down sides. When travelling through a tight, complex entrance, a distance based interval can cut the corners off your track if the interval is set too large for the corners turned. As such when doing this sort of thing, time based on as short an interval as possible is my preference. When high speed transiting open water using such an interval can uneccesarily use track points which, if you are trying to keep a track of your entire trip for record keeping or otherwise, means a longer duration or distance based interval is required.

Hi Scottar, thanks for this info. I might go out to 3 seconds and try that. All my saved tracks are really only a few km as it is only bar tracks and lagoon entrances that I really save.
    Thanks again for you wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums