Thread: Buyers Choice... My recent experience.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Buyers Choice... My recent experience.

Hey crew, thought I'd start a conversation (discussion, debate, thought process) around the choice(s) we have for Sounders / GPS tech these days.

I've recently upgraded our family boat. Gone from an essential river based (with occassion great ocean) use boat (Stessco Squire 385 with 18hp Tohatsu) to a larger boat with an increased ability to handle 'less than perfect' ocean conditions (Quintrex 420 Renegade with 50hp Tohatsu).

7 years ago when I set up the Stessco, combined sounder GPS chart plotter units were a lot more $$$. So too colour.

When I started researching Sounders and GPS options for the new boat I was blown away by the price points, options, inclusions and technology.

Everyone I think makes a choice around budget, use and features. I think access to retailers may also influence decisions.

For our needs, I quickly ruled out the $1k+ options. Then, focussed on what I could touch and feel, and checked price points. It quickly came down to Lowrance vs Garmin.

I ended up around the $800 price point and was weighing up side view tech vs quickdraw contours (you'll see my comments on this in that thread soon).

Overall, I am amazed at the improvement in tech, price points and the options we have compared to 7 years ago.

Having gone from a 3.5" grayscale sounder only (seperate GPS) to a full colour, chirp based unit with chart plotter I'm blown away.

All I can say, add, is if you haven't upgraded in several years, DO NOT go looking unless you want to spend money! Envy will drive you crazy.

Am I the only one thinking like this?
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Re: Buyers Choice... My recent experience.

pretty spot on!

I recall the hype when the first 5" colour lowrance fishfinder/gps with maps came in at under $1000, that was the elite 5.. maybe??. 8 or so years ago? or 9 years?. and since then things have gone extreme for sure.

which is good i guess, you do get a lot more for your money but there is a lot to be dazzled by now and choice has exploded.

lowrance/garmin are really duking it out in the lower end of town, with humminbird, raymarine just outside the party. and now simrad has come in a little with their cruise range

Usability is still one of the bigger drivers, if you cant use something it doesnt really matter how good it is.

on another note, sometimes its worth playing the game a few rounds behind everybody else, if you purchase a generate or 2 older than whats current, you will save some big dollars.........whilst always upgrading from what you have. much like cars or phones i guess, things will always be new to you.... but not new pricing. my brother is still pretty excited to have a reversing camera in his new 2009 toyota work car.

moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

I'm not sure of the discounting and new product cycle in these sounder / GPS chart plotter products, but have noticed the product I decided to buy has gone on sale a few weeks after I bought it.

I guess like cars, phones, fishing reels, golf clubs, surfboards, TVs and we'll almost every product these days, it's probably best to just to get out and use them rather than checking their current price and the latest product.

Next boat I will move back to two separate units...one chart plotter and one sidescan unit. really not a fan of running imaging and charts as split screen.
    Jack.

yes for me it was budget first and simplicity second, pretty happy with the my unit. for what i do its great, like mention above if your got the budget and space go for two seperate units. if your thinking about upgrading go for it. i think electronic gadgets are like buying boats, you own at least six until you figure out what your fit is....i just need to buy two more sounders and ill have it figured out i reckon .

I’m really loving all the new features and how much the big players have leapt in technology over the past decade. The one thing that still shits me is the huge increases in pricing just for the larger screen. Same tech, same power, but thousands of dollars extra for a few inches extra in screen size. When 50inch TVs are a few hundred bucks with smart tech in them, I see no reason why units with a few inches larger creep cost 2-3 times the price.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I’m really loving all the new features and how much the big players have leapt in technology over the past decade. The one thing that still shits me is the huge increases in pricing just for the larger screen. Same tech, same power, but thousands of dollars extra for a few inches extra in screen size. When 50inch TVs are a few hundred bucks with smart tech in them, I see no reason why units with a few inches larger creep cost 2-3 times the price.
    Good point.

Prices for bigger screens do jump up a lot.

Market based pricing rather than cost based pricing. The manufacturers would know they buyer of a larger screen had most likely dropped a lot more $$$ for their boat, so able to, willing to, pay more for a larger screen.

When I bought my latest boat 18months ago they included and elite 5ti.
    I had a price point to stop at and that’s all was in the budget

It was a waste of money tbh as 5 inch screens are too small to show any detail

But every time I’ve saved enough lowrance releases something else just to keep their prices at a certain level
    And basically fobs you off with anything that’s not latest tech

9 inch minimum and hoping to afford something 12 inch when some sales come on

Also ah ting don’t get too adventurous off shore. It’s still only a 4.2m boat

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

Also ah ting don’t get too adventurous off shore. It’s still only a 4.2m boat
    Having upgraded from a Stessco Squire 385, the 420 Renegade feels quite sturdy and capable on the Ocean.

I've had the Squire out to Windarra, which is approx 7nm from shore. Was a beautiful ocean though.

I'm wary of the Ocean. Having surfed my whole life, I know her power and ability to change quickly.

My trips will be well within her limits.

If in doubt, I don't go out.

Simples.