Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BRP buys telwater

Re: BRP buys telwater

Micky that is some great fuel economy, any new engine is a good engine u know u have the reliability and as long as its covered by warranty it should be a good deal, resale only suck on etecs because they are still branded a 2 stroke in todays market of leading 4 strokes

If i had a pick of a brand new engine it would be a etec as long as it came with factory warranty

Doung 100kms a trip sound like your having fun

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Micky that is some great fuel economy, any new engine is a good engine u know u have the reliability and as long as its covered by warranty it should be a good deal, resale only suck on etecs because they are still branded a 2 stroke in todays market of leading 4 strokes

If i had a pick of a brand new engine it would be a etec as long as it came with factory warranty

Doung 100kms a trip sound like your having fun
    I dont agree based on my experience at least as to why people are wary of.2nd hand... Everyone I know who dodges second hand boats with Etecs on cite the reason of reliability concerns due to how lean they run or issues with injectors etc nothing to do with the fact that they are 2 stroke. I too have concerns about them due to the complexity of the system but as for them being a 2 stroke that is the very point that could tempt me to one over a 4 stroke...it fires twice as many times per cycle and has a lot more throttle response and straight out grunt than the same cubic inch 4 stroke. Last time I looked Etec was cleaner running than a 4 stroke. Of course people.with long memories also associate Etec with Ficht...

I would buy an Optimax but unfortunately Merc stopped making them.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

A lot of the last generation have grown up with 4 strokes being the market being 90's kids everything is 4 strokes the older blokes are still stuck on 2 strokes becauae that were your generations thing

For me i was born in the 80's i grew up on every thing 2 stroke i mean everything motor bikes, jetskis, lawn mowerswhipper snippers everything were 2 strokes except cars but i love technology and converted to 4 stroke over the last 10 years

I would still use a 2 stroke if thats all my budget would allow

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    A lot of the last generation have grown up with 4 strokes being the market being 90's kids everything is 4 strokes the older blokes are still stuck on 2 strokes becauae that were your generations thing

For me i was born in the 80's i grew up on every thing 2 stroke i mean everything motor bikes, jetskis, lawn mowerswhipper snippers everything were 2 strokes except cars but i love technology and converted to 4 stroke over the last 10 years

I would still use a 2 stroke if thats all my budget would allow
    Mate I grew up on two strokes also. I have to say my ETEC is nothing like the two strokes of old or other models of 2 stroke on the market. It is quiet, more fuel efficient than most 4 strokes and is one of the cleanest running engines on the market. And also despite what people who don’t own one say, they don’t burn much oil in my opinion and based on my usage. Check the comparison videos on YouTube, one that springs to mind is by Caloundra Marine.

Also from all the research I conducted, most of the injector problems are from older models. Look as I said I don’t think you can go wrong with any current model 4 stroke but in what I consider an unbiased assessment the ETEC shouldn’t be overlooked. I would ring a reputable service centre like Downes Marine and ask if they still get many injector issues.