Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BRP buys telwater

Re: BRP buys telwater

i just read their terms and its no different to a bank higher purchase loan with fees attached
    have used them 5-6 times with no issues

when taking finance its up to you to manage your life and any unforeseen circumstances and if you cant dont take the finance
    i have income protection to cover any unforeseen unemployment

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    Yep.

Just don't miss a payment!

Heard some horror stories.

Bit like the interest free payment plans from some retailers.

All good while payments are made on time, in full.

First default, and interest rates jack up (by way of huge fees and charges for 'administration'), from there on your chasing ya tail.

A mate had finance for his outbound a few years ago. List his job, missed a payment by 3 days. Kept paying, but had to sell his boat due to job loss. Cone time to settle to clear debt for clear title to buyer, he finds out he owes more than his motor cost ... After paying it off for 3 years! Explaination was due that one missed payment, the ongoing fees and charges (interest disguised as admin fees) had been slightly more than his monthly payment.

So, yeah, just watch the 'easy' finance option.
    Yamaha finance is pretty good i think, Not a outboard but my nephew got a new bike on finance thru Yamaha than his boss decided to be a spiteful p... and sack him because the boss made his son pay for everything with cash up front and strictly no finance, after he lost his job he missed a few payments than Yamaha offered him a 2 month no repayment hardship offer to get back on his feet he shortly after got another job but he had to catch up on those missed payments, the bike was just bought outright and all finances paid

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    You hit the nail on the head regarding your dealer.

If you have a good one then there appears to be no reason to avoid Etecs as the BRP warranty support is claimed to be pretty good.

The next question is really about the dealer up north who is proposed to be used. I know nothing about him / her so cannot comment.

Glad to hear you are having a good run with yours Ducksnutz, now with the proposal by BRP to buy Telwater perhaps the training of techs will be easier and even more local ( I didn't know it wasn't local at the moment, do they have to travel to Canada or the US now?)

What HP G2 are you looking at ?

C
    C
    150HO Gen2 mate.
    Checking out now in the states in regards to reviews etc. looks like it might be a good thing from what I can read.
    For what it’s worth to others looking at the Etec motors, I’ve owned a 135 Honda, 200 Suzuki, 100 Yamaha and 60 Mercury.
    All four strokes and all wonderful engines. All had over 200 hours plus in use from me.
    I will add to this the Etec is as good if not better than any I’ve owned.

Not bagging brands because in my opinion all modern engines are great and if you can find the technician to service your choice of donk, that is the key to longevity and performance of your investment.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post

... if you can find the technician to service your choice of donk, that is the key to longevity and performance of your investment.
    That is, I agree 100%, a key to long term outboard motor reliablity and longevity.

Owner abuse (or lack thereof), is right up there too.

Yes. Some brands, models, in various periods of time, definitely had some engineering issues. But, in the vast majority, outboard engines just work.

I just think total cost of ownership needs to be considered more. Servicing and oil costs between brands can add up to significant differences, then the resale value factor has to be weighed up.

4 Strokes the good thing is when the engine is 20 years old you'll be able to buy a powerhead for next to nothing from a car wreckers while a marine dealer will want a f..... fortune for it

their was a guy looking for someone to rebuild his 225hp Suzuki i think it was, a 4 banger, he could just look up what model that Vsix is in a Suzuki car and go pull one out as a runner and cheaper too

Just buy a car engine from the wreckers and bolt it onto an outboard??
    Methinks there might be a bit more to it!

I like your can do attitude gazza, but...................no. In twenty years time, you might be dead. I definitely wouldn't put my hat to that idea. Theories like this are always doing the rounds. Unless your so batshit crazy into engines that you can spot a possibility, its fraught with danger, money pit ahead.
    Havent you been down this road with an Etec, lol? Are you not insane? hahahahah

The problem with the Etec was reliability playing on my mind Andy i would be able to only afford the first rebuild if it let a piston go again in 5 months i wouldn't have the funds to repair it again as i will still be paying for the first loan

i was being hypothetical about the 20 years but just in general anything marine often comes at a huge asking price because of the wealth we have in the country but lets say that same powerhead is in a automobile they will sell a lot less there is no difference in using a car engine for your outboard as, as it sits outboards are basic engines they are pretty much a block there is no gearbox or housings there is no miles of wiring and shit to go with it all you basically want is the short block ie: crankcase, cylinder head, crankshaft, rods and pistons its likely everything else wont be interchangeable from a car to a outboard possibly the starter motor may fit but things like injectors, car flywheel, intake manifold,wire harness, ECU will all be different but generally the block will be identical

Honda and Suzuki use their car engines as powerheads in outboards its a known fact and that is where they get such good reliability from

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    I like your can do attitude gazza, but...................no. In twenty years time, you might be dead. I definitely wouldn't put my hat to that idea. Theories like this are always doing the rounds. Unless your so batshit crazy into engines that you can spot a possibility, its fraught with danger, money pit ahead.
    Havent you been down this road with an Etec, lol? Are you not insane? hahahahah

Meanwhile my 2nd hand Parsun 90 hp (that Gazza bagged me about) is performing well. Good economy, quiet for a 2 stroke, boat not bothered by only 120 kg on the transom.

PS: And I actually get to go boating.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The problem with the Etec was reliability playing on my mind Andy i would be able to only afford the first rebuild if it let a piston go again in 5 months i wouldn't have the funds to repair it again as i will still be paying for the first loan

i was being hypothetical about the 20 years but just in general anything marine often comes at a huge asking price because of the wealth we have in the country but lets say that same powerhead is in a automobile they will sell a lot less there is no difference in using a car engine for your outboard as, as it sits outboards are basic engines they are pretty much a block there is no gearbox or housings there is no miles of wiring and shit to go with it all you basically want is the short block ie: crankcase, cylinder head, crankshaft, rods and pistons its likely everything else wont be interchangeable from a car to a outboard possibly the starter motor may fit but things like injectors, car flywheel, intake manifold,wire harness, ECU will all be different but generally the block will be identical

Honda and Suzuki use their car engines as powerheads in outboards its a known fact and that is where they get such good reliability from
    You know of any like-for-like that are current?

Getting back to the original post, I see nothing wrong with the buy out. I see pluses in that more money will go into R&D and package prices could make others worry. For BRP, the low australian dollar means they get modern boats at " american " prices. ( always so much cheaper than us)

You can google it mate I'm not up to date with new flash cars so i donno what they run in them, will do a quick search now before posting, cant find anything cant even find the doco that said they use the car engines block for outboards

A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Here it is scrolls down to Marine Engine on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_engines

Marine engines (current range)[edit]

• 1-cylinder (OHV)
      • BF2.3, BF5

• 2-cylinder (OHC)
      • BF8,bf8 BF10, BF15, BF20

• 3-cylinder (OHC)
      • BF25, BF30 (552cc, 6-valve)
      • BF40, BF50 (808cc, 6-valve)
      • BF60 (998cc, 12-valve)

• 4-cylinder (in-line, 1496cc, SOHC, based on L15 automotive engine)

• 4-cylinder (in-line, 2354cc, DOHC, based on K24 automotive engine)
      • BF115 (new), BF135, BF150 (VTEC)

• 6-cylinder (V6, 3471cc, SOHC, based on J35 automotive engine)
      • BF175, BF200, BF225 (VTEC)

Ausfish Platinum Member

But unfortunately, "Based on" does not necessarily mean interchangeable. Might share a bore and stroke configuration, perhaps, but there can be a multitude of little things that can render it either impossible, or so hard it's just not worth it. The alloys used in the construction are likely to be different, as you are looking at salt water direct cooling vs freshwater/inhibitor, for a start.