Thread: Boat buying process?

Boat buying process?

Hi all,

I’ve just put an offer on a boat and it’s been accepted, and I’m wondering if I’ve covered everything needed in buying a second hand boat?

Here’s what we’ve done so far:

- Viewed the boat and went over it

- Put the offer in (and it got accepted pending a professional inspection of boat, motor, trailer etc). Put a holding deposit down.

And then from there I guess all I need is to get the seller to sign the relevant transfer paperwork for the transport authority (at time of payment)?

Anything else that’s worth doing or that I’ve missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Boat buying process?

Do a PPSR search to see if theirs anything on the boat, motor or trailer

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Do a PPSR search to see if theirs anything on the boat, motor or trailer
    Thanks Gazza, great idea!

Make sure u get your paper work for the inspection and make sure its a good document as another guy on this forum a few months back got the ass end of a inspection and the boat was rooted but the inspector said it was ok

What size is it. The trailer may require a COR better to check than buying a boat trailer that can't be registered.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    What size is it. The trailer may require a COR better to check than buying a boat trailer that can't be registered.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    The boat is 6m (or just under)

transfer papers check......with the receipt of sale, make sure it states the vessel number, trailer vin number and off course outboard serial number and also make it so that it says "moneys paid in full" as your handing over that big fat cheque..with some interstate buys, sometimes might need a seperate reciept of sale for the trailer as well. for some reason NSW RMS sure do get eagle eyed when presented with interstate boats, i know have bought two..and its the same all the time, spanish inquisition.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

PPSR search as others have stated, but, I'll also add do it on the hull, trailer and motor. Only cost a couple of dollars each, and remember to keep a copy of your search.

Check rego papers match drivers licence. Could be selling stolen goods! Cross check is drivers licence.

Insurance... BEFORE you hook it up to your car and drive away!

yes insurance is a must. having just insured my new second hand boat and ready for a 10 hour trip, you wouldnt believe it, 110kph on the freeway only 30 minutes into the trip and bow eye breaks clean of the hull . thank goodness the back straps was on as its only what was left to hold the boat on.

good point above to check licence as a cross reference too..

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    yes insurance is a must. having just insured my new second hand boat and ready for a 10 hour trip, you wouldnt believe it, 110kph on the freeway only 30 minutes into the trip and bow eye breaks clean of the hull . thank goodness the back straps was on as its only what was left to hold the boat on.

good point above to check licence as a cross reference too..
    Close call my friend. That would’ve scared me

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

What brand / age? Some boats can have have serious specific issues (I.e. rot) that won't be picked up in a $200 dollar inspection.....