Thread: Quickdraw Contours: who's using?

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quickdraw Contours: who's using?

Garmin Quickdraw Contour mapping; who's using it and how do you find it works? Is it worth it?
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Re: Quickdraw Contours: who's using?

it doesnt cost anything other than a blank SD card, and it can be quite useful, adding it to other users who have generated mapping does make some areas very very detailed compared to what they have been before.
    it is a bit.......you doing there work for them-ish... but hey. its better than nothing

Yep. its good

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

should be interesting, ive this feature but have only spent minutes on it, should be good for upper rivers and the like id be thinking.

have mapped my 2 favourite haunts and sat down with a few beers and planned..... worked well and put me on some fish

when your mapping (if thats the word for it ) take careful note of the current direction , i lay a mark every so often and name it with the current direction and tide run.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post

when your mapping (if thats the word for it ) take careful note of the current direction , i lay a mark every so often and name it with the current direction and tide run.

BigE
    Hey mate, can you please explain why the need for current direction information?

Do you keep different quickdraw Contours for the same area?

Are you using in the river, lake or open ocean?

What model Garmin do you have?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I am genuinely curious, interested.

I found the contours to be quite problematic with tidal changes between visits chopping up previous grids. The bigger the tide the worse the image.
    Jack.

current against structure will almost always hold predators so you are looking for current running onto tight deep contour lines. Fishing is just hunting in water so you still need to think like a hunter you need to focus your effort where the prey is.

I fish saltwater bay and offshore reef

I'm running a garmin 7410 and a 750s

BigE

BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    current against structure will almost always hold predators so you are looking for current running onto tight deep contour lines. Fishing is just hunting in water so you still need to think like a hunter you need to focus your effort where the prey is.

I fish saltwater bay and offshore reef

I'm running a garmin 7410 and a 750s

BigE

BigE
    Yep, understand the behaviour of fish, just not sure why the need to make a note in the Quickdraw contour file.

Do you have different quickdraw files for different current directions?

thats a nice setup helm area, its neat layout with everything in the right place.

Good thing no one's chimed in saying it's a waste of money. I bought a Garmin Echomap Plus 65cv for the new Renegade.

I chose the QuickDraw feature / function over side view scanning, because I thought it was a better feature for my use.

So far, I am very happy with the decision. The QuickDraw contours I'm getting are giving me an awesome map of my fishing areas. It's really good to have an actual reference point of the drop off etc. Even in a river. I knew a lot from just using a sounder, but having it mapped to zero in is pretty cool. I used marks on my old GPS for key spots, so with this no need to have as many marks as the detail gives you the spots via contour lines.

I'll try and grab some screen shots.

I think it's a great feature well worth considering in the buying decision. With it, there is no need to buy detailed maps. You just make your own!