Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

I have a Jigging Master PE5 narrow. Bought it about 8 years ago and have taken it to the Swains reef or Coral Sea once a year for 7 days. It is a joy to fish with all day, has plenty of drag being a twin drag reel and has never had a problem.
    It cost me $750.00 back then. They are about $900.00 now.PE5n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    I have a Jigging Master PE5 narrow. Bought it about 8 years ago and have taken it to the Swains reef or Coral Sea once a year for 7 days. It is a joy to fish with all day, has plenty of drag being a twin drag reel and has never had a problem.
    It cost me $750.00 back then. They are about $900.00 now.PE5n.jpg
    Reel nice reel there Reggy,, luv the handle

Col

Yes Col. Very similar to the grip on your 113h custom. I have a 113h with a Tib frame, stainless gear sleeve, modified drag.
    I wanted to get a Tiburon frame for my 2/0 also but Tiburon stopped shipping to Oz ? The 2/0 probably doesn't`t need it anyway, with its 6 screw stand and 6 posts.
    cheers
    Greg

Hi Greg, Funny you mention that actually, While my boat restorations are having a break at the minute, I have been finishing of a few project reels.
    I'm doing 1 more standard 113h and a 113h wide version, both with Tiburon frames and s/s gear and the s/s double dog set up. I've swapped the old chrome over brass spools for a couple of second hand red aluminium spools which will save a fair bit of weight, and will mean I can cast them as well. the other one I'm doing is an old Squidder, I got a narrow Tiburon frame and spool for that and I will use that for casting small lures.
    To cut a long story short, while Tiburon wont deliver direct to Aussie, I'm using a bloke in The U.S who has a business tricking up reels and has a whole heap of second hand Tiburon frames and spools, he is currently getting me a 113h wide Tiburon frame. The freight is a killer, but i load up with parts off him and get one lot shipped over. My next project will be a 114h which I'm kitting out with a narrow frame, so I always have a project or two on the go.
    I'm very interested in what they are doing at the moment, there's a bloke just finalising the internals for a .... 2 speed 113h, I had to put my name down for that, just the idea of it intrigued me.... let me know if you have a need for anything, I can always put you on to him.....

Col

Yes, you can have a lot of fun with old PENNs. I know what you mean about the freight from USA now. It hurts! I used to have a 6/0 with an aluminium frame. It was a stock PENN frame. Yes, alloy spools are a must. I think I know who you mean with the frames etc...I am a member on Alan Tani (Basto).
    I have been very involved with my DAM Quick reels recently. DAM, PENN and ABU are my main interests these days.
    Good luck with all your projects.
    Greg

Hi Greg, Yes I'm on that site too, I've been dealing with Randy, he really looks after you. For instance, I wanted two aluminium spools for my standard width 113h's, My tiburon frames are silver, so he came up with 2 aluminium, second hand red anniversary spools for $45 each, Yes, freight and conversion is on that as well, but that's why I'll add a bunch of stuff with it, like a new handle for my pimped up Squidder reel.
    But in all honesty, I think apart from putting out the internationals when after bigger stuff, 90% of the time I will only be fishing with my pimped up old Penns. But it fair peeves some of the blokes off I fish with, that have forked out a fair bit of coin on Stella's and the likes, but that makes me grin a whole lot more !! .
    All the best
    Col

A mate kept telling me to borrow his Trinidad 30 so I eventually took it to FNQ and gave it a work out on some serious critters and I've got to say I was really impressed with it's performance. Not sure if it's classed as high speed though.