Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    What is the creme del la creme of overhead reels if budget wasn’t an issue? Must be high speed, great corrosion resistance, lever drag, easy to source spares and smooth drag. My torsa might be on her last legs after 8 years....

    On the short list:
    daiwa dogfight overhead or saltiga overhead.
    Hunt down another torsa 20/16
    Any other recommendations?

  2. #2

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Which one ticklesyour fancy, must be comfy with it.

  3. #3

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    What is the creme del la creme of overhead reels if budget wasn’t an issue? Must be high speed, great corrosion resistance, lever drag, easy to source spares and smooth drag. My torsa might be on her last legs after 8 years....

    On the short list:
    daiwa dogfight overhead or saltiga overhead.
    Hunt down another torsa 20/16
    Any other recommendations?
    I own two of the Daiwa Saltiga's … a little baby 15H for micro jigging & a a 35N SJ for more serious stuff - These are magnificent reels hands down but they are star drag and give you a much better control over lever drags due to the micro adjustments …… these are jig reels though with a lock up feature . Love them both

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  4. #4
    Ausfish Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    You did say if budget wasn’t an issue
    Accurate ATD-30 ATD


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  5. #5

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    For myself I am partial to the Okuma Makaira, they do a gold version and a gunmetal SEa version. the latter has more freespool due to different bearings. Reels are a subjective thing in that what I like in a reel might be the total opposite of some else's idea of a nice reel. So probably good idea to go around a few stores, put them in your hand and have a feel, go away and do some research/reviews and then decide.

    Lots to choose from out there. I used to think that the Tiagras were something I would like to own till I did the above and ruled them out as well as the Fin-Nors and Penn's Inter's. Whilst those may be good reels they did nothing to inspire me to part with some cash, so each to his own I guess.

  6. #6

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Alutecnos gorilla 12 for me. Had mine for 4 years now and is still as smooth as the day I bought her and has taken some punishment.

  7. #7

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    just had a look at the Accurate ATD-30 ATD but was hoping for greater retrieve ratio or the same as the torsa... thanks for suggestion though

  8. #8

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Alutecnos gorilla 12 for me. Had mine for 4 years now and is still as smooth as the day I bought her and has taken some punishment.
    I have a couple of these too. Brilliant reel with heaps of smooth drag pressure.

  9. #9

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Getout View Post
    I have a couple of these too. Brilliant reel with heaps of smooth drag pressure.
    Thanks looking into them now- i wonder how easy it would be to get spares for this italian reel....

  10. #10

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Alutecnos gorilla 12 for me. Had mine for 4 years now and is still as smooth as the day I bought her and has taken some punishment.
    out if interest did you buy local or import over from US?

  11. #11

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Just curious as to why high speed and no star drag?

  12. #12

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    out if interest did you buy local or import over from US?
    Imported mate from Italy which is where they’re made. Worked out to be $100 cheaper than the US. If you jump on flea bay and search Alutecnos gorilla world wide you’ll see some reputable Italian companies with terrific feedback. PayPal solves the anxiety of purchasing from a foreign country. The Italian postage service is as good as Japans. They took about 10 days after payment to arrive with updates of tracking from start to signature on arrival. They are very easy to service yourself.

  13. #13

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Just curious as to why high speed and no star drag?
    I prefer letting the fish pick up and run with the bait, i find it easier with the lever drag to push the lever to the preset to set the hooks then bump over pre set if the fish is taking too much line or is in really rough country.

  14. #14

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    I prefer letting the fish pick up and run with the bait, i find it easier with the lever drag to push the lever to the preset to set the hooks then bump over pre set if the fish is taking too much line or is in really rough country.
    I was going to try and talk you into a star drag but your reasoning is pretty good,a star drag will not enjoy being engaged if the fish takes of hard and you wont get the cushioning effect of a cam engagement.The lever drag takes a lot out of the equation but I always liked the look of the Accurate.The problem could be parts when you need them.

  15. #15

    Re: Overhead reels if money wasn’t an issue

    A mate of mine recently sent off his Accurates to NZ to be serviced. Was a PITA with NZ customs assuming they were new imports and held them waiting for GST to be paid. He said the same crew that serviced them are setting up shop in Australia soon, so that won’t be a problem moving forward.

    i just got a Saltiga 2 speed lever drag. So far so good, with only a few big rays to test it. Can’t wait to get some XXL Wahoo on it to really try it out.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us