Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could possibly co wrong?

What could possibly co wrong?

Hello All,
    I saw this today.
    20190424.jpg

I saw that the boat was held down by two small ratchet straps with no bow rope to stop the boat sliding forwards under braking.
    Then I saw that the two green straps were attached to two pieces of red string.
    80kmh on highway, not a problem.
    What can possibly go wrong?

Re: What could possibly co wrong?

Photo really does not give enough detail.

But, those straps if rated are normally about 350kg. Not sure about the red rope, but if its like the stuff I use on sailing boats, then it will be stronger than the straps.

The boat if strapped down properly will not need anything to stop it moving forward

Of course, I am speculating like you, cause I dont know what the person in the image is using.

If they had the tinny the other way around it may have been too wide for the roof racks hence they put it that way, not a good idea with the V in the hull at 80kph providing up lift would have been sketchy

these guys have been to thailand and picked up a few tips, hahahahahahahaha

I would say that the tinny would be over the legal weight limit for the roof. First off, I wouldn't do in on a SUV. A duel cab ute, yes, as you could carry the weight with a frame bolted to and over the tray in an inverted position due to wind drag and lift. In this particular situation I would have inverted the boat though but as I said before I personally would not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I would say that the tinny would be over the legal weight limit for the roof..
    That tinny would be about 50kg, if its anything like the SUV my wife owns (a nissan) the racks are probably rated to 75kg.

The ladder racks on my dual cal navara are only rated to 75kg.

I would hate to see what you lot have to say when I carry 2 oztrail gazebos's on the ladder racks of my ute.

Yep. Years ago I used to put my tinny up there on a couple of roof racks. Upside down tho. Never had an issue.... until the roof completely rusted out from the salt water.

Not just the weight to consider, you will still have an issue with the force created with the wind drag/suction/lift. A couple of manuals for different SUV's that I have read, recommended not even putting surf boards on roof racks.

Probably the quickest way to ruin a tinny tho by ratcheting it down like that depending on how tight they went could have buckled the hull

i don't think a cop would sting them for it since the tinny would only weigh 50 55kg probably not even that as its a old model, its not protruding out the front or back, in NSW your allowed 150mm on the sides on overhang

still not ideally placed on the car they should have put it on upside down with 2 pieces of wood running across the roof as the tinny looks to be wider than the roof i think that is why they went with this method

Yep. That's what I did on my box trailer after the roof rusted out.
    Until my box trailer rusted away.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    Yep. That's what I did on my box trailer after the roof rusted out.
    Until my box trailer rusted away.
    You need a car made from titanium lol

the smartest thing he did was to put the strap over and thru the row lock, to stop forward momentum, looks like the red rope used to anchor the yellow strap is most likely that cheap plastic stuff from 2 dollar shop, however its still a dodgy look. yes officer i can tie an okay knot sort off.

Well....it's a Nissan. What more can ya say?

Should have left the outboard on in the locked position ....... that would have impeded any forward movement.
    or some duct tape that would have worked.

BigE

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    If they had the tinny the other way around it may have been too wide for the roof racks hence they put it that way, not a good idea with the V in the hull at 80kph providing up lift would have been sketchy
    Agreed, most likely too wide for racks.

But.

'if' they had put it keel up, and in that very forward position, the airflow at 80kmh up the car bonnet, windscreen and UP INTO the then upside down hull would act like a huge parachute.

That's why roof mounted set ups are usually set up with REALLY strong tie down points and straps.