Thread: Hydraulic tiller Steering kits Australia

Hydraulic tiller Steering kits Australia

Does anyone know of any steering kits for tiller steer motors (I have a 50hp E-Tec).

I found an awesome product at www.tillerassist.com but can't find them for sale in Australia (I have emailed them asking if they have an Australian dealer). I have read that Titan had one but apparently they are now only for Merc's.

I like the tiller steer for the extra room I am afforded.

Cheers

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Re: Hydraulic tiller Steering kits Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Mickywilly74 View Post
    Does anyone know of any steering kits for tiller steer motors (I have a 50hp E-Tec).

I found an awesome product at www.tillerassist.com but can't find them for sale in Australia (I have emailed them asking if they have an Australian dealer). I have read that Titan had one but apparently they are now only for Merc's.

I like the tiller steer for the extra room I am afforded.

Cheers
    My first thought is "Why? ... Do you have too much torque, so fighting to keep the motor straight when underway?

I know the thundercat boats use them, but that so the skipper can move body weight forward to balance the load in the boat. Plus, at superhigh revs and speeds, it takes pressure off the tiller arm.

Hey mate. Not really helpful to you, but you may want to check how much power the pump on this will use.
    A 50hp till only has a rectifier I think?
    You may struggle to keep the power up to any brand hydronic pump.

I think the smallest Merc you can get it in is a 135 from memory, because of this reason.

Thanks
    Rob

Not sure where you are located but it might be worth a call to Marine Care Qld. They are a Brisbane based E-Tec dealer that I think looks after a group of commercial operators running big tiller steer E-Tec's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    My first thought is "Why? ... Do you have too much torque, so fighting to keep the motor straight when underway?

I know the thundercat boats use them, but that so the skipper can move body weight forward to balance the load in the boat. Plus, at superhigh revs and speeds, it takes pressure off the tiller arm.
    Sorry was away from site for couple weeks but the boat runs fine once I'm on the plane and have it trimmed correctly. It can be a real pain in the freckle at slower speeds though, say in a 6knot zone. Seems to pull to one side

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mickywilly74 View Post
    Sorry was away from site for couple weeks but the boat runs fine once I'm on the plane and have it trimmed correctly. It can be a real pain in the freckle at slower speeds though, say in a 6knot zone. Seems to pull to one side
    Check the motor is in line with the keel of the hull. At speed, on plane, it tends to sort itself out, but at lower speed, sitting lower in the water, more hull in water, a motor off centre will feel like that.

What boat is it mounted on?

Trim the motor out.