Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Steering seized

  1. #16

    Re: Steering seized

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Looks like a 75-90 Honda.

    We remove cables regularly and ream them out with a 16mm masonry bit, you can buy a long one from bunnings

    We then only use lithium based spray grease with a small tube to spay and fill the cavity from the stbd side of the engine once you have undone the steering cable nut. Turn the engine hard to stbd allows a bigger cavity to spray the grease into.
    we also lubricate all steering cables this way when boats come in for servicing

    They key to good cable steering is correct maintenance and to keep it moving regularly
    how did you spot the model? I looked at it for 10 minutes before I even worked out what I was looking at!

  2. #17

    Re: Steering seized

    You could take a small brake hone and hone out that tilt tube to remove the harden grease and dirt in it, lucky u caught it in time some are that stuck u need to use heat and a hydraulic press even on sunk outboards u need replace the while tilt tube if its rusty

    i had one that was left in there seized up rusted to the shit house the old owner just cut the cable and left it i hooked up old pull pull SS cable steering so didn't matter

  3. #18

    Re: Steering seized

    I have a steering wheel hub if you want gratis. Whereabouts are you located.

  4. #19

    Re: Steering seized

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    how did you spot the model? I looked at it for 10 minutes before I even worked out what I was looking at!
    bf75, first line in his first post, above the pic!

  5. #20

    Re: Steering seized

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    how did you spot the model? I looked at it for 10 minutes before I even worked out what I was looking at!
    Funnily enough I have seen the odd 1 or 2... Only saw the title after I had posted

    Also there is nothing wrong with teleflex, plenty of them older than 10 years still running around
    Garry

    http://www.ssmarine.com.au Ask us for an unbelievable Price on a new Honda

  6. #21

    Re: Steering seized

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Funnily enough I have seen the odd 1 or 2... Only saw the title after I had posted

    Also there is nothing wrong with teleflex, plenty of them older than 10 years still running around
    I looked for ages, tilted the picture around to work out what the photo was, after I worked it out it was simple enough, but not enough to recognise the HP, the colour kind of gave the brand away though.

  7. #22

    Re: Steering seized

    Hello All,
    I have just had a similar but much less severe problem.
    I had a look at Dangar Stu's video ;
    My steering is much much better, see how long it lasts.

  8. #23

    Re: Steering seized

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Looks like a 75-90 Honda.

    We remove cables regularly and ream them out with a 16mm masonry bit, you can buy a long one from bunnings

    We then only use lithium based spray grease with a small tube to spay and fill the cavity from the stbd side of the engine once you have undone the steering cable nut. Turn the engine hard to stbd allows a bigger cavity to spray the grease into.
    we also lubricate all steering cables this way when boats come in for servicing

    They key to good cable steering is correct maintenance and to keep it moving regularly
    This guy here. I used to have heaps of steering issues with cable steering on my old boat till this guy started doing my services.

    As for loosening up stuck steering, the guys at the yacht club used to mix up auto transmission fluid and diesel to get things moving again. Always worked. Now all the YC boats have hydraulic steering, so no issues anymore.


  9. #24

    Re: Steering seized

    I think Teleflex is now.Seastar but no difference. Excellent gear that lasts for many years with easy steering, fast lock to lock and no feedback or unwanted helm movemeng in their NFB helms. As Gary and others have said its basic maintenance thats the key. Some outboard set ups dont have room for hydraulic and i like a good mechanical for a few reasons.

    I use hydraulic fluid (Dextron ATF) in my tilt tubes. Cheers

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

  10. #25

    Re: Steering seized

    The same thing happened to me...Stripped the helm gears.... I just had to disconnect the steering cable and turn the motor into a Tiller steer for 65kms home......the boy drove and I just sat up the front and worked the throttle..I had cleaned out the old grease and put some fresh stuff on prior to that trip but the damage was obviously already done..Hydraulic steering for the next boat...etec tiller steer.jpgtiller steer 90 hp etec.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us