Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stessl 4.3mt setup foward control

Stessl 4.3mt setup foward control

Hi guys, been wandering around gathering info for the setup on my old tinnie. Its my first boat and Im having a bit of trouble with it chine walking.
    I'll give you a quick rundown, It has a 40HP yamy enduro on it,no trim tilt. We get pretty wet in the boat, all ways mucking with the engine position.
    The more throttle you give it the more it wants to flatten out and wont plain. My question is,what is the biggest motor you can fit to this boat as I can fit a 60 merc
    to it at no coast with trim tilt. If so, would I need a jacking plate and put more weight up front. I dont want to race it and would not drive like a mad man but it still
    feels under powered with the 40. The bimini pulls it around and is slighty better when stowed away. I have added an extra 40kg just behind the front seats trying
    to make the boat feel more stable on the water and stop lumbering around(under the floor). We like the boat for the room but hate it in every other aspect.
    The prop sits at about 250mm below the stern to the centre of the shaft.
    thoughts

Re: Stessl 4.3mt setup foward control

You have something seriously wrong, 40HP should be plenty, what do you mean by "chine walking"? Sounds like the motor is too low, maybe a long shaft on a short shaft transom?

It will roll in its side and kind of hang there then you fight it and it rolls the other side and hangs there. All very reluctantly, Unfortunately.

any chance of some pics?

Try to, having trouble loading of the phone! Attachment 119050

Engine sounds a little low as a start. The extra weight forward won't be helping nor will having the "trim pin" at it's lowest setting. Not having the trim and tilt facility will mean your set up is going to have to be the best "compromise" you can find at any given time given the vessels loading. I regularly have to change mine - even over the course of a trip depending on whether I want a better ride at slow speed or the ability to run faster.

I know its an over kill but im trying to find out if the transom and boat will handle a 60 hp 2 stroke, as its set up with trim tilt at the right price! The data plate is awol in the boat..

Mate I have a tiller 40hp Tohatsu 2 stroke of my 4.5 Blue Fin and it gets and and goes well even with 3 blokes, 2 big batteries, 50l fuel, Minn Kota, false floor etc so it won't be a HP issue. Though trim in mine helps. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

60 HP might sound great, but in reality 40 HP has got you in trouble, find and fix the issue, tell us more about the boat, is it new to you? did it ever go OK? is the motor original? does it have a foil/fin? we can help you, but we can't see the boat, we can only rely on typed information.

Quote Originally Posted by chaso70 View Post
    I know its an over kill but im trying to find out if the transom and boat will handle a 60 hp 2 stroke, as its set up with trim tilt at the right price! The data plate is awol in the boat..
    Have a look around at similar sized boats and their advertised maximum horsepower ratings. At a guess the 60 will be over. Could also be worth a call to Stessl. Of course if you aren't worried about legalities so much, there is nothing stopping you apart from the possibility of hull damage. I would confirm the weight of the intended motor and once again compare it to stated transom weight maximums of similar rigs. As a last resort, you could take it to a boat builder who can inspect and then replate it for your requirements after making any necessary upgrades should they be required.

Have you guys had anything to do with after market trim tilt, like the Panther setup, starting to over capitalise on the boat. It's a 92 Stessl, forward control with a false floor with 40 litres of fuel and a battery up the back.its not liking my 115kg weight, so I usually sit down the back and the misses and two kids go up front. Didn't pay a lot for the boat but have repaied the trailer and took a 30 Tohatsu off and put the 40 on, with no electric trim. Where should all the weight be going,do trim tabs sort this thing out. I was going to clean it up and paint it and have a bit of fun but she's rough as soon as you hit a bit of wind, really needs trimming, not sure it's worth throwing money at.

Attachment 119052Attachment 119053Attachment 119054Attachment 119055
    Hi again guys, you get the general idea of what it's like, will get some pics on trailer on Tuesday.
    Thanks for the input so far.

No pictures, do you know how to post pictures?

Obviously not Noelm, fill me in my man!

Chaso are you posting your messages here from a computer or Tapatalk App?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing