Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stessl 4.3mt setup foward control

Re: Stessl 4.3mt setup foward control

Just pressing on the picture icon on the print screen directly off my mobile phone Oz.

I am not sure the picture attachments work on the mobile using the internet App mate. I recommend downloading Tapatalk (free) and searching using the App for Ausfish. Log into Ausfish using Tapatalk and then uploading photos is easy.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Got app now will sort it.

Have you tried phoning Tim at stessl marine?
    He maybe able to tell you what the problem is straight away.
    He is on the gold coast, look up his number on facebook

Smile, it confuses people
    Smile, It confuses people

I did mate, they kind of flicked me and never rang back, will try again.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Pics on the boat

Long shaft on a short shaft transom, plus a foil ploughing through the water! At best even if it's not a long shaft, it's way too low, lift the motor, take off the foil and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Long shaft on a short shaft transom, plus a foil ploughing through the water! At best even if it's not a long shaft, it's way too low, lift the motor, take off the foil and try it again.
    Spot on Noel. In the interest of simplest first and given the symptoms, I would even just pull the foil and give it a try. Lifting is going to involve redrilling the securing bolts. Doing one thing at a time will also allow a better feel for what is having the most influence in regards the problem.

As a side note, unless there is a sentimental attachment to the boat, I would put any sort of reasonable financial investment towards getting something bigger. At the end of the day, you are a big bloke in a little boat - it is never going to be real stable as you move around in it.

and without trim and tilt it would be well shit to drive
    sell the 40 and buy a 40 of the correct shaft length with ptt

No worries boys, will see if we can move it on, solid old thing that someone else can enjoy!

How high would you lift the motor, in line with foil? I know the expense of mucking with boats, like aeroplanes and cars! What are your thoughts on the bolt on trim tilt?
    The alternative of selling this motor and replacing it with the proper item out weighs what the boat is worth I think the Enduro wouldn't make much, I don't want to sell someone else trouble either, I could raise the transom.

It's never an exact science and with pressed tin boats that run extruded keels going as high as the expected norm can introduce other handling issues but as a start by the pic I would go about 25mm. You may run into issues with the clamps simply not being able to go any higher without transom modification - not uncommon. If so, just go as high as you can and give it a try before spending any money on additions IMO. Without the T&T it will never be as good as with it but only you can decide what you can live with as being acceptable.

I have never played with the aftermarket T&T's. The only drama I foresee with them is they usually introduce a further setback meaning the engine will need to go higher again. If it were mine and I was going to go that way I would be investigating second hand genuine options if they can be fitted first as I don't think the aftermarket options are necessarily cheap.

You are exactly right Scott. I can try a bigger motor with trim tilt but will have to find out if the transom can handle it first.
    I will look at moving the motor on, re placing the leg is not an option either I believe ,to expensive. So I'll stop clutching at straws and take everyone's advice.

Do the easy things first, remove the foil and give it a run, then see how it goes and if it's possible to raise it a bit, don't just rush in a buy something else yet.

can you measure the transom height. would be interested to know what it is, it looks too tall for a short shaft(15"), yet too shallow for a long shaft(20")!