Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

Smile 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

Ella said "what do you want for your birthday?"
    So in the true spirit of a surprise birthday present I decided not to tell her until after I had bought it 🥳
    One of us is really happy 😁
    For those interested in specs 80lb - 24V - 72" shaft made same place as Minn Kota in US
    Price? I'm worth it 😎
    I told her it will increase my catch rate big-time and she said yeah i have heard that before - but regardless I am starting from a very low base here so it won't take much 😜
    This thing will hold the boat on a spot and can juggle it 1.5m very easily - idea is to hold the boat over fish offshore without anchor and accurately.
    It will prevent a lot of drifts and drive back and really only have to retrieve after catching a fish not to just repeat another drift.
    I am not only thinking reef fishing but also deep-drop.
    I have bought a connector to the Lowrance depth sounder so it will be linked and able to locate on spots marked on the sounder such that you just push a button for the next spot and whilst you are getting ready this motor is taking you to the next spot then holding you on it until you push next mark and on it goes.
    I am really looking forward to getting it offshore
    Why it spins some pics I don't know
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

Trev

Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

Very nice, did you install it yourself ?
    Can you tell me what type (AGM or other) and size A/H batteries do you have set up with it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is the best sort of birthday present! And did you act surprised and thank her profusely?

Hi Trevelly
    Curious to know if you have any issues with deployment and stowage with your setup. I have considered a bow mount electric motor for my alloy boat but did not want to destroy the bow rail to fit the unit. You may have more clearance though looking at the pics. Cheers SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Very nice, did you install it yourself ?
    Can you tell me what type (AGM or other) and size A/H batteries do you have set up with it ?
    Evo,
    I can't say too much about the batteries except a mate bought some new when he did a bit of barra fishing - they are over 30kg each and hold an outrageous amount of charge - glass mat - certainly won't be lifting them in and out of the boat
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    Hi Trevelly
    Curious to know if you have any issues with deployment and stowage with your setup. I have considered a bow mount electric motor for my alloy boat but did not want to destroy the bow rail to fit the unit. You may have more clearance though looking at the pics. Cheers SS
    SS the top of the unit only sits about 1" clear and immediately underneath the rail - so yes I have to swing out the motor before lifting it to clear the rail and yes the motor will only ever be deployed at lowest setting so it will never foul the rail.
    I am deadset against modifying the rail and it was a snug fit.
    You can see on the bow a number of penned in locations I tried before finding it's present best location so there were numerous times I tried it stored or deployed to see how it fit.
    I made sure the GPS head when stored was in a good spot so I can still easily use the walk-around and not have to step over the thing - just lots of trial and adjustment before drilling - nothing genius.
    I could be wrong but I don't think there is anything magic or special with getting it fitted assuming everything is as straight-forward as mine was. I did read the instructions that came with the unit - well I did quickly and kinda rough - but it looked like no big deal anyway.
    I still have to do power-line to concealed Anderson plug and inline reset and switch - next weekend
    Cheers

Trev

I really just started looking at the easy-on/off nylon set-up for this and before you know it I had it bolted to the motor bracket mount then thought what the heck i want to see if it works without cutting the rail.
    I fully expected the rail may need to be cut and a special bracket to be fabricated for this thing to work.
    I was pleasantly surprised to find I only needed a packer to lift the mounting bracket 8mm and well if the bracket is nylon why not pack this with a nylon cutting board.
    The mount is only bolted in place with 4 x 6mm bolts and washers.
    Personally I think this is a bad idea as it wobbles too much.
    I will unbolt this unit and remove the nylon washers and bolt it down again with a healthy amount of Sika-flex underneath - similar to what I did with radar dome.
    The deck is probably 3mm plate so I will also put in place a stiffener plate underneath using 6mm plate - the unit will be rock solid then.
    Cheers

Trev

As for the head unit I have it crossing the front of the cabin so it can readily have a saddle located here to cradle the head unit and both stop it from moving and getting damaged but also I am told in rough conditions these things can accidentally release and deploy themselves - which i clearly do not want as it needs to be lowered underneath the rail not drop onto it
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    That is the best sort of birthday present! And did you act surprised and thank her profusely?
    Ed, I adopted the approach of buy now and seek forgiveness later.
    My SWMBO is an accountant and there is absolutely no way she would have gone along with this otherwise.
    Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
    BTW later this year she will spend double this amount getting her parents to visit for one month so . . . .
    I did the same 8 years ago when I bought the boat - it was not long after she got a new car . . . .
    Cheers

Trev

Obviously well thought out Trev. Now time to enjoy the technology. I have a CC design and no casting deck so positioning the shaft across the open forward section would present some problems for me. Thanks for the setup advice. I will probably need to modify the bow rail if I go ahead with an electric motor. SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Ed, I adopted the approach of buy now and seek forgiveness later.
    My SWMBO is an accountant and there is absolutely no way she would have gone along with this otherwise.
    Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
    BTW later this year she will spend double this amount getting her parents to visit for one month so . . . .
    I did the same 8 years ago when I bought the boat - it was not long after she got a new car . . . .
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂sounds like your house works like mine Trev.

least yours works, 5 weeks and waiting for a new gps module for mine which was dead out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    least yours works, 5 weeks and waiting for a new gps module for mine which was dead out of the box
    Not good Steve. Is that through your local Mercury dealer?

Thats pretty tough Steve.
    Haven't tested mine yet.
    We always hope for a good unit from US considering the local market they supply.
    Hope they do a good fix for you although 5 weeks is slow anyway
    Cheers

Trev

Geez for a minute there I thought you were talking about your SWMBO!