Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    local merc service center
    im rural so everything takes forever

    unit works manually just wont connect to gps

  2. #17

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    Probably no parts in Aus. Most big manufacturer's reps probably only place a parts order monthly thus freight times can blow out ot what seems like ridiculous figures if you just miss an order. It's bloody frustrating from a consumers point of view an certainly doesn't win any friends. Unfortunately some of the overseas parent companies are less than sympathetic when it comes to fright costs and one off packages. One company we used to import from charged a "handling fee" per order - regardless of the size. With a container load of stuff it was insignificant but for a one off item it meant costs were ridiculous.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  3. #18

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    Welcome to a whole new world of fishing mate ...... congrats on taking the plunge - mind you I reckon you'll be asking yourself how did you ever go without one . It will be interesting to see how you go with it & btw - good choice going with the 72" shaft ...... offshore length matters.
    Those batteries look pretty big - 150amp my guess based on the weight & size.

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  4. #19

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    [QUOTE=TREVELLY;1654548]
    The mount is only bolted in place with 4 x 6mm bolts and washers.
    Personally I think this is a bad idea as it wobbles too much.





    Yeah I'd strengthen it up too.....I was just reading about a fella who installed one and first time he deployed it broke/fell off and sank 300 ft to the bottom....that would take a bit of fun outta your day I'd reckon...

    Interested to hear how it goes I just put in an order for a 5.8 Centre cab..(next size down from yours I think)...and am looking at exactly the same setup apart from probably adding a welded on mount so it can be fitted on the outside of the rail so as not to interfere with the walkaround area....

  5. #20

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    ok the thing that puzzled me most about this post was... swmbo? Thank heavens for google.!

    Brings back to mind another of Rumpoles classics..... about Dodo Mckintosh a friend of SWMBO......."ahh Dodo ..she was famous for her nibbly bits."

  6. #21

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    [QUOTE=disorderly;1654596]
    Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    The mount is only bolted in place with 4 x 6mm bolts and washers.
    Personally I think this is a bad idea as it wobbles too much.
    Yeah I'd strengthen it up too.....I was just reading about a fella who installed one and first time he deployed it broke/fell off and sank 300 ft to the bottom....that would take a bit of fun outta your day I'd reckon...
    Interested to hear how it goes I just put in an order for a 5.8 Centre cab..(next size down from yours I think)...and am looking at exactly the same setup apart from probably adding a welded on mount so it can be fitted on the outside of the rail so as not to interfere with the walkaround area....
    A mate of mine has the 5.8m and he will come out and see if it lives up to the hype and no doubt will then see how he goes with his biggest hurdle SWMBO.
    I read your post elsewhere about the dropped rig and thought yep it will have a lanyard - my deepdrop electric and trolling reels all do
    I see the benefit of the welding etc - but I am least interested in removing the fuel tank again - it is under a good floor of Regupol and a full day of effort to do so. As this thing is it will suffice me nicely
    I will look closely at bigger bolts too and sikaflex
    Cheers

    Trev

  7. #22

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    Let us know how it goes when you have a chance to get out....

    2 months till my boat is built so I have a while to research further....In Minn Kota the 72" is $330-400 dearer than the 60"....both local boat places are Minn Kota dealers so I am looking at them..

    Fitting the motor so it lays on top of the cab like that would drive me bonkers so if I can figure out the best location I'll try and get a bracket welded on during the build process....

    and yeah Lanyards are worth their weight in gold...

    and happy fishing its going to be a total game changer...

  8. #23

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Welcome to a whole new world of fishing mate ...... congrats on taking the plunge - mind you I reckon you'll be asking yourself how did you ever go without one . It will be interesting to see how you go with it & btw - good choice going with the 72" shaft ...... offshore length matters.
    Those batteries look pretty big - 150amp my guess based on the weight & size.

    Chris
    So if I go a 60" on a 5.8 supervee hulI I will regret being a cheap-arse, Chris..?

  9. #24

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    I decided the 6mm bolts were just too small and replaced them with 8mm bolts and also so Sikaflex Heavy Duty Adhesive - the base also has 6mm backing plates too - can't see that going anywhere soon - although this motor will still have a lanyard added for peace of mind
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

    Trev

  10. #25

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    That sica although very good it's messy to use
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

    Trev

  11. #26

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    Not the prettiest but it will do just fine
    I will tidy it up a little bit with a blade sometime when motivated
    I need to put onto boat a bracket to secure the head when parked for rough transit as I do not want any unintended launching of this thing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

    Trev

  12. #27

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    So if I go a 60" on a 5.8 supervee hulI I will regret being a cheap-arse, Chris..?
    I saw a 60" for sale as the guy said he was going for a 72" because the shorter didn't work - too much time out of the water

    With motorguide the 60" is $2300 and the 72" is $2500 so why would you go shorter?

    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pial...295/1166056105
    Cheers

    Trev

  13. #28

    Re: 80lb 72" motor Guide on boat today

    Mate has a 60" on a 5m Bonito. Works fine on very calm seas but a little bit of sea and spends too much time out of it. Ive hot a 60" on a 4.2 WB Dory and when it's blowing 15 knots or more in the Pummistone Passage and other boats go by i need to drop it deeper. At full depth it is a pain to pull up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us