Thread: Bung Replacement

Bung Replacement

Good morning all

I have 2000 model Seafarer V-Sea.

For a while now I have been getting nearly a bucket of water from my centre bungs (from bilge area). It has been driving me made as to how it is getting in there. I’m getting nothing from outer bungs (the hull area).

I’ve replaced the actual bung plugs but no difference.

I’ve decided to remove, re-seal and replace (should I replace with new bung housing). These are the original from build and never been replaced.

When I removed the old bungs I found that the centre two (bilge) are longer and on closer inspection they appear to have a sleeve over the housing.

I’m having real trouble getting the sleeve off without damaging. Any suggestions.

1. Can you buy long bungs with or without sleeve and is so where

2. Do I need to replace long bungs with long or will short do

Comments please

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Bung Replacement

Id say your builder has made these so water cant get into the transom. Id be re sealing those in.

You might find the short metal one at an old boat shop, the long one is a made up "special" it's possible I might have a metal one in my odds and ends, if you want I can have a look and see.

Just had a look, I have two brand new metal fittings, complete with bungs, if you need them I can post them to you, but they are the short one like in your picture.

I'd be re-using the old ones providing I could find matching replacement bungs.
    I've found the threads on bungs are often slightly different and they can bind before they actually clamp the nylon washer.
    Speaking of washers many people have used rubber 0 rings instead of nylon washers with success but I wouldn't recommend it because if an 0 ring breaks you will have an instant fast leak.

Up at Whitworths in caringbah they had a big box full of odd bungs and I had to go through the whole box to find one that fitted my seafarer properly. My test was will they screw all the way in without the washer.
    I also noticed the sides of the bungs tend to want to bend where they aren't supported by the thumb grip.

One thing I can guarantee... Bungs ain't Bungs.
    I finished up sealing mine with silastic on either side of the nylon washer just to eliminate so I could find the actual leak which turned out being the splashwell drain.

Wash everything out with hot soapy water, rinse and get it completely dry (if you leave it salty it will always feel & look wet) then launch the boat and get down under there, look & feel until you find the leak.

At one point I even built little dams on both sides of my internal keel to ensure water wasn't running down from up front.

Another thing I considered was getting something like fingerprint dust to trace the tracks and although I didn't try it I still think it would have been a good way to zero in on the problem.

It was weird, sit there for half an hour watching and nothing, Ha I've fixed it, go fishing and all of a sudden it was wet.

The "long" one is most likely a short one with a bit of stainless tube stuck to it - mine were. Also check any bait tank or deckwash plumbing under speed if you have it. That's where my bilge water comes from.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'd be very suspect of using that sleeve to keep the water out of your transom. The actual penetation should be drilled oversize, and completely and thickly sealed with epoxy to prevent water intrusion into the transom material. If they have just drilled a bloody hole, then put sealant around that tube, and expected that to keep the transom dry internally, well...your lower transom is likely already stuffed. Just the way the sealant around a bung fails on a regular basis and allows the bung fitting to leak into the hull should be a clue on this. BTW, the proper name is a garboard drain, and no, I don't call them that either
    I don't think I've ever bought a s/hand boat that wasn't leaking around the bung fitting, aluminium or fibreglass. Just pull it out, clean up thoroughly, reseal. Don't be surprised if you have to redo it in five years, if the boat gets a lot of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just had a look, I have two brand new metal fittings, complete with bungs, if you need them I can post them to you, but they are the short one like in your picture.
    Sorry for the delay Noel. I’ve had a little on and not been back to bungs.

Thanks for the offer but you keep them for yourself. I have four brand new metal fitting complete with bungs.

Thank for the generous offer buddy

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The "long" one is most likely a short one with a bit of stainless tube stuck to it - mine were. Also check any bait tank or deckwash plumbing under speed if you have it. That's where my bilge water comes from.
    Scott. I’ve had a bit on and haven’t been back to bungs.

You say yours were the same. Did you replace with new and if so how did you attach the piece of tube.

I’m aware you also are a Seafarer owner - do you know the reason behind the extended length of these bungs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I'd be re-using the old ones providing I could find matching replacement bungs.
    I've found the threads on bungs are often slightly different and they can bind before they actually clamp the nylon washer.
    Speaking of washers many people have used rubber 0 rings instead of nylon washers with success but I wouldn't recommend it because if an 0 ring breaks you will have an instant fast leak.

Up at Whitworths in caringbah they had a big box full of odd bungs and I had to go through the whole box to find one that fitted my seafarer properly. My test was will they screw all the way in without the washer.
    I also noticed the sides of the bungs tend to want to bend where they aren't supported by the thumb grip.

One thing I can guarantee... Bungs ain't Bungs.
    I finished up sealing mine with silastic on either side of the nylon washer just to eliminate so I could find the actual leak which turned out being the splashwell drain.

Wash everything out with hot soapy water, rinse and get it completely dry (if you leave it salty it will always feel & look wet) then launch the boat and get down under there, look & feel until you find the leak.

At one point I even built little dams on both sides of my internal keel to ensure water wasn't running down from up front.

Another thing I considered was getting something like fingerprint dust to trace the tracks and although I didn't try it I still think it would have been a good way to zero in on the problem.

It was weird, sit there for half an hour watching and nothing, Ha I've fixed it, go fishing and all of a sudden it was wet.
    Fed. Thanks for info.

I considered reselling the old but have decided to replace with new.

And yes I agree that threads are slightly different. Not a fan of ‘O’ Rings.