Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine alarm codes

engine alarm codes

Hello all
    Hoping someone can help

I have a 1999 70 hp evinrude 4 stroke (suzuki df 70 )

Im looking to solve an alarm issue ?

On starting up the gauges go through its start up procedure, 4 lights come on and go out one at a time from left to right

but the last light of 4 on the right hand side stays on and once started the alarm comes on constant for about 10 seconds the alarm stops but the light stays on.

Can someone help me find alarm code information for the 1999 evinrude 70 hp 4 stroke or maybe even be able to tell me what the alarm in ?

king regards

Re: engine alarm codes

Oil change reminder? what light is on?

Ausfish Silver Member

Try this.Not sure when this was fitted to the df,,remove safety clip
    1 turn key on
    2 pull red button 3 times. a single long beep should sound.
    3 turn key off and replace safety clip.
    that should reset oil reminder.
    ps the last(4th) light on my suk was rev limit warning.
    Also when running try pushing the key in and see if engine fault light come on. If it does count the flashes.

thankyou Ill give that a go

I did change the spark plugs a day or so ago so I will double check them as well

thanks Noelm

Im not sure of the symbol but its the last light on the right, if I was to take a stab and being a square symbol with a drip beside it, i would say its an oil light of some sort.

Like tracker said I may have to reset something because i was changing solinodes and mucking around wiht wireing, I even recond the starter.

The Suzuki engines give an oil change reminder every 100 hours. Sounds likely that this is what yours may be doing.

It needs to be reset when the oil has been changed so you will get the next reminder when its due again.

Here is a video showing what the oil reminder looks like and how to reset it.

The reset is recorded in the engine’s ecu and can also be checked using the Suzuki disgnostic computer. But can only be reset using the button procedure.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

hello team

It dosnt appear to be a oil reset

when on start up the light stays on with an audible sound (solid beep) for 10 seconds then the sound stops but the light stays on

does anyone know how to find a chart or similar on the possible fault codes ?

Given it's an "OMC" motor, the square symbol with a drip in it for their "systemcheck" gauges was low oil in the reservoir for the two stroke engines. What it is connected to in a four stroke Suzuki is essentially anyone's guess. It hasn't always done this has it?

Link to where you can find Suzuki fault codes:

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...agnostic-codes

if you could post a photo of your gauges it might help.

The standard 4 warning lights at the bottom of the tacho on suzukis. Are

check engine - temp - oil pressure/level - over rev.

The over rev light coming in can also be due to water in the low pressure fuel filter on the engine. So try taking that filter off end empty the contents into a jar and see if there is any water in it. If there is, you need to work backwards in the fuel system to check for water.

I assume you also have a inline water separating fuel filter in the fuel line between tank and engine? If not, put one on!!! If so, also take it off and check for water there too.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Hello scottar.

No its been fine I just changed spark plugs and was mucking around changing starter solinods from one motor to the other, but it may be a dicky plug

thankyou Moonlighter for the link

and on the fuel in water topic, thats interesting because i did just change my fuel separator filters that i have in line before the motor, I have 2 filters in side the cowling one cheap plastic one then a steel one right at the common rail, Maybe i disturbed water some how and it went through ???

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Link to where you can find Suzuki fault codes:

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...agnostic-codes

if you could post a photo of your gauges it might help.

The standard 4 warning lights at the bottom of the tacho on suzukis. Are

check engine - temp - oil pressure/level - over rev.

The over rev light coming in can also be due to water in the low pressure fuel filter on the engine. So try taking that filter off end empty the contents into a jar and see if there is any water in it. If there is, you need to work backwards in the fuel system to check for water.

I assume you also have a inline water separating fuel filter in the fuel line between tank and engine? If not, put one on!!! If so, also take it off and check for water there too.
    hello mate done the water check I could not find any ? from memory that alarm is what you said (water in fuel ) can I ask now do I clear the fault some how? buzzer still going off and light stays on, Ive run the motor for some 15 mins or so and the light is still on. motor runs fine jsut sitting with the ears on, do you think it could be a dicky sensor? if so I could swap it with the the port motor if I can situate it I dont no what or where it is.

Suzuki alarm codes clear themselves when the problem is fixed. The only alarm you can clear is the oil change reminder.

It might be time to take it to a Zuke mechanic, ask them to hook it up to SDS and they will soon see what it is and how to fix it.

Last suggestion - before you do that, check all the wiring and plugs on the engine especially those near the ecu. Make sure the plugs are plugged together properly, inspect them to make sure no corrosion or loose or broken wires.

Check the same stuff behind the dash where the tacho is connected to the harness. Maybe when you changed the plugs some of that wiring may have got disturbed. Unplug, check, clean and reconnect those harness and ecu plugs.

thankyou Moon lighter , I will go ahead a check all that first, I now suspect that maybe the case ( something just not sitting right )

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Suzuki alarm codes clear themselves when the problem is fixed. The only alarm you can clear is the oil change reminder.

It might be time to take it to a Zuke mechanic, ask them to hook it up to SDS and they will soon see what it is and how to fix it.

Last suggestion - before you do that, check all the wiring and plugs on the engine especially those near the ecu. Make sure the plugs are plugged together properly, inspect them to make sure no corrosion or loose or broken wires.

Check the same stuff behind the dash where the tacho is connected to the harness. Maybe when you changed the plugs some of that wiring may have got disturbed. Unplug, check, clean and reconnect those harness and ecu plugs.