Thread: Moreton Bay fails to fire yet again................

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Moreton Bay fails to fire yet again................

Magic day on Central Moreton Bay today! Dead flat and calm winds!

With another couple of boats we headed off from Cleveland to the "they're really hot there now" whiting spots on the Moreton Is Sandhills!
    Armed with the luxury of 10 x $3.00 each, gold plated, diamond encrusted bloodworms plus squid tubes, squid and tiny prawns, we were rigged for bear!

Raided a spot amongst another dozen boats over there - as you do - and got ready for the "big stuff!!

6.00 am became 7.00 am became 8.00 am and not a nibble! No, I tell a lie! We bagged a nice toad about 3" long and 567 Grassies plus a wee Yellowtail!

With everybody else leaving (all empty handed) we navigated around the dozens of Go Slow and No Fishing zones to Fisherman's Gutter - another "hot spot!

My GPS took us all to my favourite X spots where you were assured of a nice feed of whiting! About 20 boats all around us but then 8.00 am became 9.00 am became 10.00 am. so another move to the Rous Ch where everybody had gone home. One guy said he had been there since sparrow fart and didn't have one single whiting!

The Grassies did their job and we were now down to squid! But, ahah, we had ONE (1) 6" whiting in the bag! Wow!

With the entire Bay devoid of Fishos, we packed up at midday and went home - fishless and baitless - the Grassies had a ball nonetheless!!

The Central Moreton Bay area is absolutely stuffed these days and I've fished it for over 50 years!

Re: Moreton Bay fails to fire yet again................

How many whiting would you have brought home after a morning session back in the day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say I have ever had the tings really fire on a dead flat perfect day. It happens.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But on a positive note, you were on the water when a lot of us were at work looking at the forecast wishing we were fishing. I know what you’re saying though, it’s getting harder in the bay to the point I now head to north of the cape and around the front of Moreton for a feed.

should have gone up the Caboolture River plenty of summeries there on Sunday, got these in 2 hours home and cleaned up by 9am
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cab whiting.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	119016Cheers pete
    Last edited by petelaska; 09-04-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added pic

Thanks for making the effort of a report regardless of your bag.It appears these days any report on Ausfish are rarer than the fish in the bay ?

Yes Giveitacrack seems to be very few reports lately but the top end of the bay seems to be producing good winteries and some sandies.

Went out at 3 pm. Sunday afternoon, set the pots, left them overnight, picked up at 6 am. monday, rebaited, and went after whiting.

Home again about 11 am. Finished cooking and cleaning about 2.30 pm. Monday afternoon. Big day and absolutely buggered.

Over 80 now and feeling it.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Forgot to add, quality of the whiting was much better than some recent catches. Crabs were ok too, very few jennies and limited number of small bucks.

I don't go after winter whiting in the bay but as for snapper?, well my last 5 trips to Mud island has seen not a single snapper boated, not even an undersized one..

Thanks for the report .
    fishing reports have been pretty thin on AF in recent years

bigE