Thread: Launching solo

Launching solo

Just thought I would relate what I saw yesterday at the ramp (I have seen this before) there was a guy in a 4.5m tinny launching solo, he reversed down, I asked him if he wanted me to hold the boat while he parked the car, he said, thanks, but I will be OK, he pushed it off the trailer, lower the electric on the bow, sent the boat away from the ramp by the remote control, hit "spot lock" went and parked the car, came back quite a while later (it was Sunday and parking was scarce) used the remote to bring the boat over, jumped in, lifted the electric, started the "big" motor and off he went, pretty neat hey?

Re: Launching solo

But it would have been more social on his part to let you hold the boat and he would have had a chance to get to know one of the gentlemen of the sea !
    What could go wrong.......................

Not too sure about that! I often "snoop" around the ramp on a nice Sunday (I rarely fish weekends) and will often help out a newcomer or someone on their own, some appreciate help, some decline, and some look at you like some kind of axe murderer for talking to them, just a sign of the times I guess, it can get heated if the wind blows up quickly and a dozen or so boats come in at once, add that to tourists fishing off the jetty, jet skis doing jet ski things, people who can't reverse a trailer, others jumping the queue and so on.

It would make life easy, used to shoot boat out in shore break (reverse quickly and slam breaks) at long reef then park car asap and hope a freak set doesnt come, run back swim/wade out to boat. Electric motors would surely reduce some stress!

Puts a lot of faith in minn kotas advertising 😂😂.

I'm trying to talk my old boy into buying one to make his life easier. Id guess the authorities would take a dim view as it is technically underway. Perhaps if I make him up a 'vessel not under command' day shape/flag haha.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Perhaps he just needs to take a friend for while he parks the car and maybe later too? Wonder if they make lures as well?

What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Perhaps he just needs to take a friend for while he parks the car and maybe later too? Wonder if they make lures as well?

Hahahahahaha...........and you were worried about the autopilot. Get one of them and see what happens

Obviously hasn't been around Minn Kota's long enough .

I put my boat into the local river last week to test the new transducer set up prior to my trip up north next week …….. after doing the test's I decided to test my minn kota …… left right , forward , back …. then spotlock as I did some sounder adjustments prior to heading back to the ramp .
    To my shock I looked up and see the boat heading at speed towards the bank and a bloody big sandstone bolder …… no response from the minn kota - I just managed to get the boat into reverse to avoid the collision . I pulled the plug on the Minn Kota & then tried everything to get a response ….. but kept getting an RF Error message on the remote ( basically it's stuffed) . I did a bit of research & as I have only 10 days before I head north I had to bite the bullet and go out and buy another I Pilot remote today ….. @ $425.

The moral of this story is …… do not trust I Pilot & "spotlocking"

oh & btw - I've had to pull the plug many times over the last 8 years of having Minn Kota's with spotlocking .

Oh and guess what …… I got home today - paired up the new remote & perfect ! - checked the old remote ……. & perfect .… not a problem.

On my old boat - I always carried a spare remote & a foot controller ……. and used them all because of issues. I'll probably buy a foot controller for this one too

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO