Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MARINER 15Hp Fuel Issue

MARINER 15Hp Fuel Issue

Hi guys i have a 2003 model 15hp 2 stroke been naughty. It started off where if you held it at wide open throttle it would start dieing, but squeezing the primer bulb got it going again. But has got worse and worse and wont run at all now. Its not the air bleed on fuel tank. Its 5 hrs away from me so at easter i will be able to start trying to find the issue. Is there any common fuel issues with these? Thanks in advance

Re: MARINER 15Hp Fuel Issue

Could be crap in the carbie that only initially made it's way somewhere critical under high flow conditions or a faulty fuel pump.

Also check the internal condition of the fuel hose.

Sounds like your fuel pump. pull it apart and check the diaphragm and gaskets. you will probably be able to get a kit to rebuild it. if it still won't run at wide open throttle, it may have a blocked main jet.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Hey, I have one of these on the stand at the moment with a fuel(?) problem. it was running fine last year, thought I'd sell it. Put it in the tank, not a splutter. Plenty of spark, put new plugs in anyway. Now, when you look at these from the front, operating the twist choke knob deoresses a blue button on the lright. Primer, I'm guessing. If you depress that blue button manually, pump it, should fuel spray out of the notch on the side of that housing? May be the same problem as yours.

give the carbie a bath . might unblock some gum residue inside.

Pumping the primer kind of takes the fuel pump out of the system, probably check it first for leaks or broken diaphragm, then move along the fuel lines to the carb, it might need a thorough cleaning, but as mentioned, try another tank and line first to eliminate that.

Thanks guys.
    Will suss it out over easter. Its been getting worse over a few years, i only use it in a small creek so have put up with it.

Been a few years Noelm are you still a cat owner?
    Cheers

Yeah, still got the centre console 18', thinking of selling it soon though, haven't heard from you for ages, how have you been?

All work no fish Noelm. But i will make a comeback one day when i have the time.
    Yes been a while since i logged on here!

Check the fuel line connectors at the tank and motor. Had a mate with exactly that issue. Connectors were loose and worn. 'O' rings were shot and sucking air. Replaced the connectors and all good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    Check the fuel line connectors at the tank and motor. Had a mate with exactly that issue. Connectors were loose and worn. 'O' rings were shot and sucking air. Replaced the connectors and all good.
    Ok mate will check that out first. Thanks for that info 👍

A completely blocked fuel line will be the culprit. A blow out with compressor and starts 1st pull now best its run in years 👍👍

Did you check what the blockage was Dean. Not uncommon for fuel lines to break down with age. In the interests of stopping it reoccuring, replacement might be warranted.

Consider changing the fuel line fitting at the motor end.

My 9.9 Mariner did similar but the problem was overcome when I changed the plug to a proper Mariner Merc fitting.
    They don't seem to do well sucking air I found.
    What could go wrong.......................