Thread: NMEA questions.

NMEA questions.

Just upgraded to a 2015 Suzuki. It uses NMEA 2000.
    My sounder is a NMEA 0183 Garmin.
    I would like to be able to display engine info, mostly fuel flow on my sounder.
    Is there a way to get them to talk? I don't want to upgrade my combo, as it's not that old, and still pretty good.
    This NMEA stuff is pretty confusing. I am a bit of a geek, and can sort it, if someone points me in the right direction.
    Boat rebuilt nearly done, budget strapped, and this is a low priority, so not keen to spend a shitload if possible.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Re: NMEA questions.

I think the first thing to check is what info can the Garmin get through it’s nmea 0183 bus.
    Even if you can get engine data, you’ll need an nmea starter kit, engine interface cable and nmea 2000/0183 converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what garmin unit is it?

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    what garmin unit is it?
    Echomap 95sv.
    Previous model.
    As in photo.images.jpeg-8.jpg

NMEA questions.

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Echomap 95sv.
    Previous model.
    As in photo.images.jpeg-8.jpg

Hmm from my limited research it looks like it does more 0183 output than input - not looking good :-(
    Hopefully Moose can shine some light on a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJaybird View Post
    Hmm from my limited research it looks like it does more 0183 output than input - not looking good :-(
    Hopefully Moose can shine some light on a solution.

Yeah.
    Might look at one of those digital gauges. Down the track anyway, other cash priorities to get this back in the water at the moment......
    I have seen a gizmo that hooks up to NMEA2000 and sends the data to a smartphone/tablet advertised on facebook($150-200 from memory). Anyone have experience?
    Will keep an eye out for a NMEA2000 compatible GPS, 2nd hand, that would be ideal if I can get it cheap. Only drama is the smaller ones (4-5in) don't have it,and the bigger ones that do are expensive, and too big for my purposes seeing as I already have a 9in combo. A small 4 or 5in unit would be perfect. Engine data and backup GPS.

In short....no. NMEA0183 never had engine connectivity. Some of the older garmins like the GPSmap451 had what you are after and can be had fairly cheaply at times second hand.

That sounder has full NMEA2000 capability. Get a starter kit hook it up and you should be sweet. I have the 1020XS as I understand it is just a bigger screen than yours. I managed to get it networked with My 2008 Suzuki.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.