Thread: Tinting Flowcoat

Tinting Flowcoat

So the boat came back form the painter. He missed a couple of bits and ran out of paint......
    Looks good, but still a couple bits for me to finish up.
    It was done with 2K.
    I am thinking that I will get some white 2K and finish up the anchor hatch that he missed, by roller, its only a small bit....
    the bigger job will be the pockets inside. I am keen to do them the same colour as the hull.
    I have some Flowcoat, and the painter suggested that that would be better to use as it will hide the imperfections better and be easier to apply.
    Question is, how would I tint White Flowcoat to the same colour as the hull exterior? Is it doable, and where would I get the tint?
    Photo attached for reference.....
    the lower hull, a dark charcoal.
    PSX_20190316_150415.jpg

Re: Tinting Flowcoat

I have bought tinted resin and glass from these guys who I found to be very helpful.

Perhaps give them a call and tell them what you want to do and see if they can assist. I'd be surprised if they could not.

From their website
    "Southcoast Foam & Fibreglass is one of the largest manufacturers of foam surfboard blanks in Australia, producing the highest quality foam for the leading surfboard brands for 30 years.

Call Us: +61 7 5522 1600

Southcoast Foam & Fibreglass
    15 Greg Chappell Drive
    Burleigh, 4220 QLD
    reception@southcoastfoam.com.au"

Shop Products

Subscribe for news

Stay up to date with our team riders and latest innovations and products from Southcoast Foam.

Search Products

What could go wrong.......................

You can buy tint from fibreglass supply places, my local Yacht shop keeps it, but I guess like paint, matching exactly is not easy, I was told when I was mixing some tinted tesin that you mix it with the resin first, then add the hardener, but, the hardener changes the tint colour, I don't know how true that is, because mine came out OK.

Hunt round this guys site....theres a lot of good info

Cheers. Tinting and flowcoating might be the easiest option.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

An old painters trick, if you want to see the dried finish put a drop on clear glass then view from the other side and you will have immediate result of the finished colour. Gelcoat and flowcoat tint goes a long way so use vary sparingly. Also flowcoat will darken ever so slightly from the hardener but with dark colours you won't notice it as it is so slight,Gelcoat on the other hand won't.
    Definitely tint first,get it right 5hen add hardener. I usually mix about double what I need and only add hardener to the amount I'm going to use storing the rest for later as then I already have some mixed and if needing adjustment don't need much tint.

Next silly question......
    I did actually get some seagull grey pigment as I had an idea to tint some of the flowcoat inside, Idea was shelved when I decided to lay EVA decking instead.....
    Seagull grey is lighter then I want, but would some of that, and maybe if i could get a bit of Black from a local painter? Instead of having to order a darker pigment...…

https://trojanfibreglass.com.au/prod...-grey-pigment/

Might get a little and experiment on an offcut first......

Rather than trying to match the outside you would be better off simply using the seagull instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Rather than trying to match the outside you would be better off simply using the seagull instead.
    Yeah it would be easier.
    Only thing I am thinking is it will be 3 different Greys then, Dark Grey outside, Light grey floor and a Light (but darker) grey Pockets......
    Will think about it, might look okay.
    Got some time to figure it out, while its rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Yeah it would be easier.
    Only thing I am thinking is it will be 3 different Greys then, Dark Grey outside, Light grey floor and a Light (but darker) grey Pockets......
    Will think about it, might look okay.
    Got some time to figure it out, while its rainy.
    Just like my BIL new house, the same tile throughout the house but depending where it is he has 3 different shades. The new modern look apparently so you are ahead of the pack.

Adding black is interesting as you can take white gelcoat and add just a pinch of black and you'll have a more intense white colour (to the eye), adding it to seagull could work but I would start with just a teaspoon of seagull and adding just the tip of a toothpick of black tint at a time to see what your result is. If your using some EVA flooring the light grey floor will look good as most EVA flooring is generally darker than the deck or you could go the opposite and make the deck darker with lighter EVA flooring which would really set it off.

BTW I used Ultra Dot on my floor after much debating last year and while softer on the feet than comcork it is harder to keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Just like my BIL new house, the same tile throughout the house but depending where it is he has 3 different shades. The new modern look apparently so you are ahead of the pack.

Adding black is interesting as you can take white gelcoat and add just a pinch of black and you'll have a more intense white colour (to the eye), adding it to seagull could work but I would start with just a teaspoon of seagull and adding just the tip of a toothpick of black tint at a time to see what your result is. If your using some EVA flooring the light grey floor will look good as most EVA flooring is generally darker than the deck or you could go the opposite and make the deck darker with lighter EVA flooring which would really set it off.

BTW I used Ultra Dot on my floor after much debating last year and while softer on the feet than comcork it is harder to keep clean.
    The deck will be plain white flowcoat, no fleck or anything, it was always my intention to break it up with EVA flooring.
    I have the EVA (it is a fairly light grey), just need to wait for the boat to come back with its new 140 Suzuki on it, do a bit of sanding and patching of dodgy bits, another layer of flowcoat, then apply the EVA.
    I was going to do the pockets in white, but it looked like too much white. Then the seagull grey idea, hence why I got the pigment, but when I did the outer hull darker, I wanted the pockets the same colour.
    Now....#### knows.
    Might just have a play around and see what I like, straight seagull grey? Or a bit darker with black.....
    Would normal paint pigment work? Or would I need something special?
    Grey.jpg

That's about the tone of the EVA

I don't know if paint pigment would work, but it would be better to use the right stuff. if you know any boat builders around they will usually give you a small amount as you really don't need much.

I could be wrong but I think that pigment for Flowcoat/Gelcoat is different to that used in mixing paint as they use different chemistries. It has been over 40 years since I used pigment but from what I remember, there used to be a base coat for the Gelcoat/Float and then you added the pigment to it, adding pigment to an already pigmented Gelcoat/Flowcoat would often not give the correct colour desired. I also remember that the pigment was insidious stuff and even though I was careful I would always find bits of colour in places that it shouldn't be, such as inside the car, carpets in the house etc. . Maybe I wasn't careful as I thought! As it wasn't catalyzed it would not go off and just kept spreading unless I made a really good effort of removing it with acetone everywhere I found it.

Talking myself into just using the seagull grey.
    If it's too light I'll go see the local fiberglasser and see if he can hook me up with a touch of black.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app