Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replacing stringers and transom

Re: Replacing stringers and transom

Whoever was asking about old mate with the teal green 580SLF, yes I did sell it and working on a new project. Well organising the work anyway, I’m not much on DIY !
    Ps
    580 SLF is a ripper boat!

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Whoever was asking about old mate with the teal green 580SLF, yes I did sell it and working on a new project. Well organising the work anyway, I’m not much on DIY !
    Ps
    580 SLF is a ripper boat!
    Good to hear. You did a hell of a job on the old one!

Steve who are you getting to quote?

I'm suspect on an increasing quote. A full gut and rebuild is probably the easiest thing to quote. There are no surprises cause its all coming out and getting redone. That also means that there's nothing to work around, in or through as its all out. A clean slate means an easier rebuild.

I get when you're only looking at a floor and they warn that once the old one comes up then in might become floor and stringers. Not sure this is in the same league though.

Cheers
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Steve who are you getting to quote?

I'm suspect on an increasing quote. A full gut and rebuild is probably the easiest thing to quote. There are no surprises cause its all coming out and getting redone. That also means that there's nothing to work around, in or through as its all out. A clean slate means an easier rebuild.

I get when you're only looking at a floor and they warn that once the old one comes up then in might become floor and stringers. Not sure this is in the same league though.

Cheers
    Craig
    PM'd you CT

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Smile, It confuses people

One thing to consider is when i was looking at getting stringers done in a boat around 2008 i was asked if i were staying inside or going outside and how hard i was going to run the boat i guess this depends on the laminate thickness on the stringers so maybe something for u to tell the glasser

unless they just work on size and assume your staying inside or going outside but it is different here in Sydney we have massive swell and heaps of chop so our boats cop a pounding

sydney is no different then anywhere else in the world for offshore use

sydney has it pretty easy for ocean access botany the habour broken bay

So it turns out the stringers under the deck have been done. The moisture meter showed no moisture in them at all.
    So Tim at stessl marine got the job with a price of 5800 plus 400 to remove and refit the motor.
    The transom is getting fully rebuilt with the extra height to suit the motor without the use of a jack plate, all tied in properly to the new stringers at the back. Up front they are taking out the bunks, redoing the stringers there and putting the bunks back in.
    And new paint as expected.

Then I asked for some extra stuff
    Modify transom with live bait /storage wells, and clean up/repair under hull rash and chips.
    All up 10k.
    Seems a fair price to me, but this is my first shot at restoring one, so I really have no idea.

Are you saying they are replacing stringers at the transom, and at the bow under the bunks, but not the rest, or did I misunderstand how it's written?

Stringers under bunks up front, bulkhead forward. and transom tied in properly to the new stingers down back
    As it says, stringers under floor are already done.
    Spoke to lots of fibreglass blokes, and they assure me that's fine.

Absolutely stoked the way this has turned out.
    Not finished yet but in my opinion, looking good received_1038793159648192.jpgreceived_668276910263310.jpg

Smile, it confuses people

Getting the transom flat is one ....... heck of a job, whoever done yours done a great job

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve villani View Post
    Absolutely stoked the way this has turned out.
    Not finished yet but in my opinion, looking good received_1038793159648192.jpgreceived_668276910263310.jpg

👍

Keep us updated with LOTS of progress shots!

Almost ready.

Anyone know how to plum the live bait tank. Best method?
    Thru hull pickup or transom mount ?
    Drilling a hole in the bottom is a bit daunting.Resized_IMG_1818001_6693.jpg

Through the bottom with a valve on the knside. Keep as many screws etc as possible away from your transom

I would go thru that beautiful trans only as a external bait pump looks old school and your boat now looks modern, when u drill the hole fill it with resin than drill a small hole to your desired size for the thru hull skin fitting, if u were to go external bait pump you'll have to run the hoses over the transom than some how thru the splash well than down to the bottom of your tanks it will look messy