Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replacing stringers and transom

Re: Replacing stringers and transom

I've got plenty more photos and an add written up which I can send through if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    I've got plenty more photos and an add written up which I can send through if you're interested.
    No thanks, nothing like what I am after

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Smile, It confuses people

No worries. Enjoy the hunt. Buying boats is supposed to be fun but I reckon its a pain in the ass!

No worries. Enjoy the hunt. Buying boats is supposed to be fun but I reckon its a pain in the ass!
    Fully agree.
    The one I am thinking about is getting inspected tomorrow morning, so I should know the full extent of how bad it is before I make up my mind to do a restore on it or not.

HHs are one of the few brands worth rebuilding due to the $ they get once done. But buying a cheap HH project boat is not easy these days!

Yup. Unless buying new - then its just a pain in the wallet!

OK so back on this again,
    Can anyone tell me,

Am I wrong in thinking the stringers should be one piece for strength and rigidness?

The reason I ask is, I brought that boat, now the guy tells me the stringers under the deck area were done not long ago, so they are fine, it's just the transom and front cabin area that needs doing ????

Huh?

Now,I am getting the refit done professionally, and getting the whole thing done. But hey, if I can maybe save a few bucks and NOT compromise the strength, why not?

I don't know, but I would think having two piece stingers would reduce strength.
    I may be totally wrong.

Your thoughts please.
    Cheers
    Steve

Yup full length is best. Some ppl dont but simple engineering tells you stronger in one piece.

I dont get why you would only half fix a boat. If stringers/floor is rotting in one place chances problems will be spread out. Generally rot happens from water penetration, it gets sucked up like a sponge and slowly rots and spreads. Who knows where else it will be. If someone only fixes part of the boat I would be spooked as to why and would be suss of how it was done.

Personally if I was interested in the boat I would allow to redo whole lot - just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    Yup full length is best. Some ppl dont but simple engineering tells you stronger in one piece.

I dont get why you would only half fix a boat. If stringers/floor is rotting in one place chances problems will be spread out. Generally rot happens from water penetration, it gets sucked up like a sponge and slowly rots and spreads. Who knows where else it will be. If someone only fixes part of the boat I would be spooked as to why and would be suss of how it was done.

Personally if I was interested in the boat I would allow to redo whole lot - just in case.
    That's my thinking too. I am doing the whole boat done, just makes sense too me

Hi, I have seen a boat that just had one corner down the back where the floor was saggy and he just got that area done including stringers and they were obviously joined. I just cant see how you can know the condition until the floor gets pulled up, if the P/O has had the back done, the floor would have to be removed, so why when that's all up, didn't he just do the whole lot. Seems like a patch up job to me in all honesty !... I would be wanting to get in and have a look at this, if it were my boat. The stringers are normally tied into the back transom, so while a transom can be done successfully from the outside, it would be pretty prudent, in my opinion, to start from scratch and do everything, regardless of what he has told you.
    You could expect around 10K for transom, stringers and floor to be done proffesionally, that's from my personal experience.
    I guess it depends how much you can afford to sink into the boat, , or what the boat is being used for, as to how much you want to throw at it. You wont make that investment back, unless you bought the boat for a steal, you never do, But if it's something you intend to keep for a long while and get some decent use out of it, then think of the outlay as insurance, with regard to a safety factor. It always ends up costing you down the line if there are known issues with the boats structure, by then, you've already spent copious amounts on it with extra's and you find yourself in a hole. So I would get it all done properly, and start off with the knowledge of how good the structural integrity of the boat is....... there money pits !.

just my opinion
    Col.

Thanks col,
    Yeah got the boat a little cheap, had quotes from two places for around the same amount, about 8k.
    I would be keeping the boat for a long time so I think it's worth the investment.
    Nearly all boats we have looked at around that age , style and price, all need some sort of work done to them. So my way of thinking is get one at a reasonable price, and get it fixed properly.
    I will be all in for about 13k when all finished, and I don't consider that to bad for a good solid 5.5m boat, that should outlast me.

Steve i would duck in every now and again to see the stringers pulled up and remade than glassed in some shops will cut corners if u dont over see the project there are shady charictors in every business not saying the bloke doing your boat is but in general if a buck can be saved some will take that choice

if u think about it the stringers are fully sealed off from the transom and the hull bellow it because u ideally need to glue the stringers down and glue the end to the transom than u further seal it in with the fillet all round, the glass covers the majority of the plywood or timber to completely seal the lot

you don't just butt a stringer up against the transom and fillet it this is why a lot of boats have rotted transoms and the stringers are still good because they are sealed off, holes are drilled into exterior side of transoms a place for water to leak in and stringers leak from the floor down from screw and nail holes

i watched a video on youtube of a couple aussies going at it love there work but i recall them using nails or screws to hold the floor down in one project i cringed at the idea they were bloody mad for doing that

Thanks Gazza,
    I originally had two quotes, one was about 9 and the other about 8. Both of them just going of the photos I sent them.
    I know it's hard to go of photos, but I asked then both for the same thing, a full skin up refit including transom.
    So going of those prices I figured it's not to bad and went and paid for the boat.
    Now I had a phone call last night saying he wants to see the boat and it maybe as high as 12k.
    So I am taking it down to him tomorrow and leave it there so they can have a full look over it, and see what price they come back with.

Both places came highly recommended, I was a little taken back when the price changed by 4k.

The other place is still standing firm at 9k at this stage, but he is almost an hours drive, but maybe worth it.

Hi Steve, Unless the bloke was unsure about what the scope of the work was in the first instance, I'd be super cautious of this bloke.
    A quote for transom/ floor and stringers with a photo, ( so I understand would be a ball park without seeing the boat) doesn't jump up in price by 50%. Why did the bloke quote 8 in the first instance. You need to make sure that if your dropping it down to him, for him to quote you there and then, I wouldn't leave it with him. get him to quote it up in front of you. why do they need it for the whole day, unless there going to rip something out to look ??
    So I would be staying there, asking for a quote on replacing the transom, floor and stringers. From the boat, he should know what's involved by visually seeing it. Sometimes, there can be extra's, especially if you want Mod's done, ie, live well area etc.

This is one thing that fair rips my nighty, when blokes give you a low ball, but then say it could be another 50%, or 4k on top of that.
    I rang a bloke when I was sorting mine, he said he new the boat and probably around 7ish, but he wanted me to bring it down just to check it over,,, I left there with his final quote of 13k.... These clowns no damn well they were just low balling you to get you down there.
    I would take it down there, get him to look at it there and then,, tell him your also taking it to someone else for a second quote so you cant leave the boat with him. Bet ya he comes up with a pretty accurate price for you on the spot....
    I could fair dinkum tell you about some of the crap I went thru when I was getting mine done, one place took my 5k deposit, said he would do it within 3 months, well, with the police I repossessed my boat 12 months later and spent another year thru fair trading getting my deposit back.
    Be stringent with these guys, get a written quote, ask for photo's of the progress and get it written down what the completion date will be ( within reason)
    When they ask for a deposit, give them 30% and say you will give the rest in 2 payments as the job progresses.
    I'm not saying every shop was like the ones I encountered, every business needs to make a profit, but I here so many shocking stories about this industry and you need to stay in control...............

Col

Thanks col, great advice.