Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replacing stringers and transom

Re: Replacing stringers and transom

Watching a YouTube video is a lot different to actually doing it, and that applies to lots of things.

While it is in the planning stage,and you have removed all the stringers and bearers etc. You have to workout which way you would like to install the diagonal twist. Dont level it before putting bearers & floor back in that way it can pull hard to the left or hard to the right whichever way you prefer and you can struggle to keep it straight. I know this because I used to build boats and have seen it happen from new and also after repairs. Makes them a better challenge to drive and something to look forward to.
    Hope this helps.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Photo's aren't working for me mate

Quote Originally Posted by tug_tellum View Post
    While it is in the planning stage,and you have removed all the stringers and bearers etc. You have to workout which way you would like to install the diagonal twist. Dont level it before putting bearers & floor back in that way it can pull hard to the left or hard to the right whichever way you prefer and you can struggle to keep it straight. I know this because I used to build boats and have seen it happen from new and also after repairs. Makes them a better challenge to drive and something to look forward to.
    Hope this helps.
    Mick
    Thanks Mick, going to leave it to the professionals.
    Not just the lack of experience, but not keen on the itching
    Thanks for the input

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Smile, It confuses people

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Photo's aren't working for me mate
    Sorry I will do them again

Working now. What's old mate want for it?

so enjoyed reading this.....bought an old Haines about 12 years ago and its all true..including the itch! Luckily in my case only the floor no stringers or transom....all I can say is make sure a "project" boat is actually what you want to have long term otherwise theres no point...it isnt quick cheap or easy to do a boat up properly....

Working now. What's old mate want for it?

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    so enjoyed reading this.....bought an old Haines about 12 years ago and its all true..including the itch! Luckily in my case only the floor no stringers or transom....all I can say is make sure a "project" boat is actually what you want to have long term otherwise theres no point...it isnt quick cheap or easy to do a boat up properly....
    Yep, agree, I absolutely love the boat. Not a fan of the newer style boats with the slanted slopes on the bow.
    Depending on the price to get the transom and stringers done. I think would be well worth it.

Looks like the floor has been painted in an attempt to cover something, and I see a bit of flat bar on the bolts holding the motor on, I cant see a full professional rebuild being cheap, probably cost more than the boats worth, my wild guess would be 7-10 grand, but it's a guess, I really have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Looks like the floor has been painted in an attempt to cover something, and I see a bit of flat bar on the bolts holding the motor on, I cant see a full professional rebuild being cheap, probably cost more than the boats worth, my wild guess would be 7-10 grand, but it's a guess, I really have no idea.
    Yep, hence why the thread is named replacing stringers and transom.
    The floor it's self is rock solid. But what's underneath it, that will be the surprise.
    Stringers up front of the bulkhead are wet, can see that through the inspection port.
    Transom isn't as bad as a lot that I have seen, but still needs doing.
    If it's to expensive to do all at once, I'm wondering if the stringers can be done first, then the transom at a later time.
    And more than it's worth?
    Maybe, but it will be rock solid, and what we want

I guess it depends on if you want the motor to fall off, or go through the floor first! it should be done together so it is all tied in.

I guarantee it will be overcapitalised and cost more to fix than its worth but thats not the end of the world if its a boat that you want and intend to hang on to. I'd only value it at the outboard and trailer as the hull is totally shot. All the things that Noel pointed out about the photos are 100% true. It will be every bit of 7 to 10K to fix professionally.

If you like old school looks my Cruise Craft is for sale and all the replacement glass work has been done already!

I guarantee it will be overcapitalised and cost more to fix than its worth but thats not the end of the world if its a boat that you want and intend to hang on to. I'd only value it at the outboard and trailer as the hull is totally shot. All the things that Noel pointed out about the photos are 100% true. It will be every bit of 7 to 10K to fix professionally.

If you like old school looks my Cruise Craft is for sale and all the replacement glass work has been done already!
    Photos of the cruise craft?