Thread: 3 strand to double braid??

3 strand to double braid??

Hi all, i want to run about 20 odd meters of regular 3 strand nylon on to the end of my 6mm doubel braid andchor rode (bit of a shock/wear section before the thinner braid. Is there any fancy splice for joining doble braid to conbentional 3 strand? how do people normally make the join between these different rope types?
    Scott

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: 3 strand to double braid??

No fancy way that I know of. I have 6mm Dyneema on my winch joined to 12mm silver rope as a chafer. I just spliced an eye in the 3-strand and tied the dyneema to it using this knot, the sheet bend. Can't find a better picture, but just imagine the blue rope as the spliced eye, and turn the red rope through twice instead of once.

Attachment 118950

Thanks Ranmar, thats what i fugured but thought i would check.

Attatchment dont load for me ??.

Don't know. Interesting topic. Ranmar's obviously has worked thus far but I'm always sketchy about knots in dyneema (assuming yours is dyneema) - it is exceptionally slippery. I would probably be thinking along the lines of eye splices in both and using a cats paw arrangement but it's not something I have tried. Make sure the dyneema splice is stitched if you go down this route. While having a quick look around found this interesting video - not Ranmar's knot but pretty wild watching some of them slip and come undone under load

Ausfish Platinum Member

I take your point about Dyneema being a bit "slippery", but I leave plenty of loose end and then tie a half-hitch around the dyneema above the knot anyway, doubt if it will slip. The sheet bend as described was our go-to rope joining knot as commercial fishermen--joing float rigs to eye end, adding ropes, whcih was plain end to eye end, and even attaching the pots to the rope.

That double braid climbing rope is slippery stuff, you'd want to be extra careful doing knots that you are going to be hanging off.

Scottar, nylon double braid to standard 3 strand. I also thought maybe just a tight eye splice through each other, maybe with a sleeve on the double braid.

I use it myself but just a single for sending lines up to ships - it's a good, quick, simple knot but I've never put one under real strain in dyneema. It never ceases to amaze me with that stuff - using a wrap on a set of H pattern's, it's not unusual if it gets really loaded for it to need someone hanging on to it to stop it disappearing - doesn't need much but leave it to it's own devices and your ship goes bye bye (not a great look). Polyprop done the same there is no chance it will slip in a million years - it will break first. Also amazing if it does slip how the line goes hard - literally have to peel it off the H pattern with force but then execise it and it goes limp again. Amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Scottar, nylon double braid to standard 3 strand. I also thought maybe just a tight eye splice through each other, maybe with a sleeve on the double braid.
    I would still think about the cats paw - should stop the lines working against each other and thus chafing. Might be worth a few calls to some of the rope companies to see if they have recommendations. I certainly haven't been able to find anything on any of the sites I use for splicing guides.

started off as a rock climber years ago using 3 strand nylon ropes and then the more usual nowadays..double braid.....There is a great deal of difference between a rope made for climbing..be it stranded or double braid and dyneema....although dyneema is a lot stronger diameter for diameter....it would kill you if you had a longish fall.....but not because the rope broke though.It simply doesnt stretch much at all so the shock load at the stopping point would be fatal....you would stop but all your internal organs would turn to mush....

A conventional climbing rope can stop a long fall without killing the climber because it stretches under load which cushions the deceleration ....the energy is absorbed by the rope over a longer time so the force on the climber is lessened.

I would be very conservative in how to knot two types of rope that have very different characteristics and purposes.....

ah sorry on reading back it started braid to 3 strand....was following on from the dyneema....but I will leave this up anyway..

Has anyone with a drum winch used a section of wire rope as a chafe proof part of the anchor rode.?
    Still have a short piece of 3 strand as a shock absorber.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    No fancy way that I know of. I have 6mm Dyneema on my winch joined to 12mm silver rope as a chafer. I just spliced an eye in the 3-strand and tied the dyneema to it using this knot, the sheet bend. Can't find a better picture, but just imagine the blue rope as the spliced eye, and turn the red rope through twice instead of once.

Attachment 118950
    You run dyneema anchor line?😳

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Getout View Post
    You run dyneema anchor line?
    Doesn't everybody? it's not really uncommon, so much more line capacity on a drum winch.. Certainly expensive, but if you shop around you can get 100 metres for a reasonable price. Worst part is lack of stretch, so you need something else in there with it, IMO. My winch came with 100m (supposedly, but I have my doubts)of 8mm double braid nylon, which is stretchy, so I tied the dyneema on top of that, then put the 20 metres of 12mm silver rope on the bottom for a bit of diameter . Ironically, it is by far the weakest of the three types that are tied together.

Splicing double 6mm braid is the biggest PIA, once you get up to about 20 mm it is easier. But basically I had to do a loop in the 6mm braid and the splice a loop into the nylon. I did find an alternate way to the traditional method of splicing double braid but I'd have to find it again, it's on my almost dead tablet, it was the only method that worked on thin double braid. Tying knots in double braid is both bulky and suss.