Thread: Mooring off shore

Mooring off shore

I have a pretty basic question on mooring my 5 metre run about off shore when camping or at a dam, I have always just brought the boat into shore but am always having to be very careful of where I park due to rocks, I’d like to moore say 10 metres out but want to understand what to use at the boat end to anchor, I had planned to drop an anchor on shore or tie to tree on shore run the long anchor top and tie off the back of the boat, it’s the front I wanted advice on, I was thinking of what people use to attach a foam bout to have my set spot and tie up to but what do you anchor it with so it’s sturdy enough to hold in place properly, I have seen people fill 20kg buckets with concrete and tie up but looking for a better idea I don’t think an anchor is heavy or stable enough, what do people use ?

Thanks for any advise

Re: Mooring off shore

An anchor and chain.

Yep, a decent anchor and plenty of chain.

DSCF0620 Resized Mooring Vag AF M G.jpg

Like this

Anchor and chain then pulley block with endless line with loop. Paynter off the bow to the loop and after you alight on shore just pull the the endless line to moor the boat offshore. Tie the end of the line to a second anchor or tree or bin and the boat can rotate with the current but off shore.
    This pic was at an AF meet and greet at Stradbroke Is.
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Platinum Member

I've posted about this before, can't seem to find it. But we do this every year, anchoring at a remote spot. You just need an anchor for the outer end, and a pulley on the end of the chain ( or a stainless shackle) And then something to tie the loop to at the bank end.