Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedo Trauma

Speedo Trauma

Hi Guys and Gals

I recently bought a new "old" boat and the speedo does not work.

It is the type that gets its data from the leg? instead ot the usual pitot tube that I am familiar with.

Can someone tell me how these things work and if they are not as in this case how do I fix it?

After i get the propeller sizing sorted out, well actually after Jan sorts it out, this will be my next job.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Re: Speedo Trauma

Usually water pressure still. Small hole on the leading edge of the gearcase that connects via tube.

Thanks Scott

Will check it out in daylight.

PS Don't worry I bought a 2 stroke!

Situation resolved.

Hole is discovered after drill bit gently inserted.

Fine road clay off western dirt roads removed.

Thanks again.

Test on the water next week after propeller returns from its work over.

Yep - that bloody little inlet ....... I've had to unblock mine a couple of times

What is good to use are those Sutton tools supabit 's …… makes it a bit easier

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yes its just that I got used to the plastic pitot tube on the stern of the Seafarer and when the speedo stopped working it was because it was installed right at the bottom of the v hull and when ever I beached it and forget I needed to buy a new one.

At least with the new (old) Yamaha at worst I will just have to find a 1.5mm bit to clean it out, not that it is going anywhere near dirt roads in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Yes its just that I got used to the plastic pitot tube on the stern of the Seafarer and when the speedo stopped working it was because it was installed right at the bottom of the v hull and when ever I beached it and forget I needed to buy a new one.

At least with the new (old) Yamaha at worst I will just have to find a 1.5mm bit to clean it out, not that it is going anywhere near dirt roads in the future!
    They can get blocked with shell grit ….. or my recent experiences - hitting a piece of drift wood . I hit some last year on the Clyde River & immediately the speed stopped - got home had a look & yep that's what it was.
    It' pretty common on Yammi's

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

OK, progress report.
    There appears to have been a long standing issue with the system from the hole in the lower leg to the plastic tube up from the setup above the pitot hole.
    Someone seems to have had an issue before me and they have drilled holes in the leg apparently to investigate.

In my attemps to clear the passge and line a 1.5 mm bit has been hand held and used to clear debris from the pitot hole. Success.
    Air pressure has been applied to the pitot hole to attempt to clear the obstruction. Its a 12 v compressor so limited volume but pressure up to 120 psi has been applied with no success.

A whipper snilpper line has been pushed down Negative''
    A fine wire has been used and no success it stops too a little above the the pitot hole

A feww mms of pure engine flushing gear Macs has been injected and left for hours and when force is applied to the syringe liquid emerges from the holes drilled by a previous person.

I am getting to the stage of wondering if this system is workable and can be made to operate?
    Suggestions are requested please...............

Secondly does anyone know if the Yamaha gauge would work accurately with a signal sent to it by a conventional stand alone old style hung on the transom pitot sender?
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/pitot-foot-base

Thanks

Chimo

Either use your GPS for speed or try to buy one of the old school paddel wheel sensors which connect to the Lowrance backbone

www.lowrance.com/en-au/lowrance/type/sensors-networking/speed-sensor-pk/

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

2 of the most useless gauges ever fitted, a speedo and a trim gauge! those little holes in the gearbox do get blocked all the time, especially if you tow with the motor down, or close to down, little bits of dust and bugs just get forced in there at highway speeds and can cause a very stubborn clog.

i used to like my water pressure speedo, boat went 5kn faster!

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, i just wouldn't put too much effort, and certainly no money, into getting a water pressure speedo OR paddlewheel going. I know they will give you speed through water vs speed over ground from the GPS, but they aren't particularly accurate anyway, IMHO.

I have concluded the original set up is dead and I'm done with it.

Thanks to you all for your input

PS the depitched prop (2") means it now revs to manufacturers specs so it should be fine for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    I have concluded the original set up is dead and I'm done with it.

Thanks to you all for your input

PS the depitched prop (2") means it now revs to manufacturers specs so it should be fine for years to come.
    The hole in the dash is a perfect size for an autopilot

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The hole in the dash is a perfect size for an autopilot
    You haven't lived until you've had an autopilot. I had a mate out the other day, his boating is very basic, to say the least, but after just a short while of using the AP for running out the trolling lures, keeping a heading , just plain letting go of the wheel at low speeds to do something, he was sold.
    Go on, you know you want one....