Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discoloured rub rail

Discoloured rub rail

Hi all, has anyone had this discolouration happen to their rub rail before.
    625 Cruisecraft explorer

IMG_7638.JPG.jpgIMG_7639.JPG.jpgIMG_7640.JPG.jpg

Re: Discoloured rub rail

Cleaned mine with acetone. Effectively just taking the surface off the vinyl. I found some references to it being from a bacteria.

Looks exactly like a fuel stain and it appears to be on your starboard side which is where the fuel breather is located. Can result from a full or near-full tank on a hot day/days. Happens when fuel expands. As Mr Scottar says, acetone is your answer, but just do a little section at a time or you will finish with a dirty, greyish smudge mark. Use clean rag. Look under the bowsprit and if you sea 'tea staining' on the nuts and bolts, just give a light spray with phosphoric acid (diluted to around 5 parts water to 1 part phosphoric acid, or buy pre-mixed at that ratio - Bunnings, marine dealerships etc), leave for five minutes then rinse off.

Clean white rag. Not coloured.....ask me how I know. Acid works great on rust stains just don't get it on your trailer gal.

Thanks gents. Not sure it's from fuel the breather is on the port side and there is very little of the staining on the port side.
    I tried acetone last night and it wasn't budging but will try again tonight.

Thanks again gents.

Pink stains of white plastic/vinyl is very common, I have also heard about the bacteria thing, but not sure on that.

Yeah its odd. I took another look at it this morning. The whole port side if fine, starboard is caked in it. I'll try acetone tonight its bloody ugly thats for sure.
    Brought the boat 8 years ago new and finding it's about now that she needs lots of TLC. Funny how the warranty runs out at 7 years l
    Just need to keep on top of it so it keeps it's value. Can see how quickly it can become a piece of shit though if maintenance and upgrades aren't done. Not even a case of looking after it though that helps, it's just keeping on top of maintenance.

I found I had to keep the rag wet with acetone. As soon as it gets "grippy", wet your rag again.

Google pink mold.

See how you go with the acetone, should do the trick. Another idea worth a try might be bleach. It's cheap. I use it to clean stains on my boat. Try a small spot first to see how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I found I had to keep the rag wet with acetone. As soon as it gets "grippy", wet your rag again.
    I did my also with acetone ,it works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    Thanks gents. Not sure it's from fuel the breather is on the port side and there is very little of the staining on the port side.
    I tried acetone last night and it wasn't budging but will try again tonight.

Thanks again gents.
    Sorry Almako - bit of brain fade there. Fuel vent is and always has been port side. I was wrr wrrr wwwrroo wwwrrrong!

Discoloured rub rail

Couple of years ago I saw a similar stained gunwale rubber on a boat while away and the next day I saw the owner cleaning it up.

All he did to remove that stain was a nylon scourer. Just saying what I saw.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Another thought. Does that side have any trees growing near it. I had a swamp blood gum which would do that especially to my clears.

so after you acetone it, would you follow up with a polish or sealant perhaps, havent seen this pink color before, then again all my previous boats had the older black rubber look, now their using white more today