Thread: How Much Bearing Greese

How Much Bearing Greese

Bearing Buddies Fitted and normally pump enough Greese till it JUST starts to push the inside seals , Making sure the bearings get enough through them..
    This best or just a light pump of greese??..

Re: How Much Bearing Greese

I tend to go a bit crazy with grease, but, you are supposed to do more or less what you are doing, too much grease will pop the back seal out, so just enough to move the spring "thingy" is enough.

Yep agree with Noel. A few pumps until the buddy piston moves out a few mm is all it needs.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I put enough in to move the spring seal a couple of mm each time I put the boat in at the ramp as part of my rigging of the vessel. I figure that a little on a regular basis is best, but it also helps to cool the bearings prior to being dunked. Thus helping to not suck in salt water past the rubber seals.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

The hubs need to be full of grease before Bearing Buddys start working properly.
    Check the BB website.

Pump them up & spin the wheel and you will see the BB relax, re-pump & re-spin enough times (many) and they will hold pressure once the air is out.

Marine seals won't blow out but if you have car seals don't over pressurize them.
    Remove the grease gun before very spin.
    No moving seal under pressure is 100% leak proof & when the BBs are working properly you will get a thing bead of grease forming at the moving surface.
    IMG_0364.jpgIMG_0365.jpg

so where does that grease magically disappear too seeing as you keep pumping it in ?

wont be cooling your bearings and tbh they shouldn't be hot if the hubs if packed properly anyway even after 1000km of highway driving can still hold your hand on my hubs

so where does that grease magically disappear too seeing as you keep pumping it in ?
    Filling the hub as it pushes the air out Steve.

I have a theory weather everyone agrees with it or not i think by filling the hub not completely with grease but mostly the grease is pushed outwards with centrifugal forces and feeds into the bearings as it has no where else to go

the other month i broke down and needed to get home on the cheap i only grabbed a small tube of grease it was enough to pack all 4 bearings in a single axle trailer but nothing to fill the void in the hub with anyhow i only changed one wheel bearing and just by packing the bearing and lubing the outer race it worked on the trip home 9" wheels trip back was probably 50km's

My hubs are always full once a while ( maybe every year) I pump a couple pumps enough for the BB to start rocking.
    Fed , I disagree with the Australian marine seals unless they are hard up against the square part of the axle they will ooz out. I use double lip car seals running on stainless steel sleeves. The seal spins on perfect surface that won't rust and the grease stays in .
    How often do you grease or change bearings in cars? Hardly ever and you do a lot more k's than a boat trailer. My current trailer is 7 years old many k's up and down the coast , never changed bearings, I only check the colour of the grease to make sure no water got in.

You're right about marine seals needing a shoulder to rest on hoon, the thought of someone trying to fit them incorrectly never even crossed my mind.

FWIW I've used spacers on old style axles with marine seals to prevent them moving.

Speedie sleeves are a great alternative by giving you a perfect ss running surface but they still leave the possibility for moving seals to ooze so just a little extra care needs to be taken when pumping.

Getting the hubs completely full in the first place is the challenge.

Durahub.... set and forget. Will never use a standard bearing buddy ever again.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.