Thread: New crab pot rules on the way?

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

New crab pot rules on the way?

Nasty rumour getting about that ONLY 2 hole pots will be allowed in Qld after June this year and possibly only 2 or 3 pots allowed per boat occupant!

All a rumour but from a pretty a pretty accurate source!

I think NSW is only 2 pots per person isn't it?

If true, may as well sell the boat, fishing gear and the dog as in my central part of Moreton Bay you spend more time dodging marine zones than you do fishing!

Re: New crab pot rules on the way?

2 Pots per person in NSW and you must identify them with your name and date of birth. However ... I don't think most people take much notice. I see scores of unidentified floaters and some names with a dozen of pots. Go figure.

You can get he guff from Fisheries at Pinkenba on 3330 4210. there are some changes that have been proposed (Did have a link somewhere but cant find the stupid thing on my phone), one is that lightweight pots will be banned, just walked in to Anaconda out of curiosity the other day and saw what can only be described as floaters, so light they would float away in the slightest current, more of the "oh! my pot's have been stolen" variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco1 View Post
    2 Pots per person in NSW and you must identify them with your name and date of birth. However ... I don't think most people take much notice. I see scores of unidentified floaters and some names with a dozen of pots. Go figure.
    More or less correct, you are allowed 2 "traps" plus 4 lift nets or dillies (witches hats) and they must be marked correctly, the fisheries guys are pretty active on Lake Illawarra during crab season.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPanther View Post
    Nasty rumour getting about that ONLY 2 hole pots will be allowed in Qld after June this year and possibly only 2 or 3 pots allowed per boat occupant!

All a rumour but from a pretty a pretty accurate source!

I think NSW is only 2 pots per person isn't it?

If true, may as well sell the boat, fishing gear and the dog as in my central part of Moreton Bay you spend more time dodging marine zones than you do fishing!
    What did the dog do wrong if that is the case it had better include commercial aswell! What’s the point of penalising rec crabbers if the pros are still allowed to rape and pillage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

[QUOTE=Dirtyfuzz;1653759]What did the dog do wrong if that is the case it had better include commercial aswell! What’s the point of penalising rec crabbers if the pros are still allowed to rape and pillage!

Only kidding about the dog ........ meant the wife!

Yeah Noel is right for NSW, general rules is 2 pots, 4 witches hats, but best check area first as some exceptions.
    Port Stephens has banned witches hats altogether so only 2 pots and I think(not 100%) but Lake Macquarie may be same.

Cheers
    Muz

Yes, it varies from place to place, some have special exclusions, even in Lake Illawarra you can't trap in the channel, and technically you can't have them in your boat in the channel, but the inspectors kind of accept that to get up into the lake you need to use the channel, so sanity prevails for once and they just let you go, unless you stop and use them, then you're gone.

4 pots a boat for one person. 6 pots for more than one person in boat max. Muddie bag 10 max. Sandies, say 20 odd or so. A book bigger than JCs for all the rules.

personally i think 2 hole pots hold more crab on overnight soaks, just have to be careful how you drop them with the tidal flows.. I dont think 2 or 4 hole pots make much of a difference,during the day either, i use both and i really dont see any difference if they are in the right spot but saying that I prefer 2 hole pots for overnight soaks 100% and usually use the 4 hole pots if its just a drop for the morning as i check them and not worried about the crabs not holding,, just my opinion

... what would be good would be regulating those lightweight rectangle cheapies, they need to be phased out imo
    Tangles KFC