Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advise on 950 hours on 2012 evinrude e tec

Advise on 950 hours on 2012 evinrude e tec

Hi all,
    I'm looking at a boat that has a 2012 115hp evinrude on it with 950 hours. apparently rebuilt at about 830 hours.
    Being rebuilt, should it be reasonable to think it would be OK?

Some opinions please, good bad other?

Concerns?

I'm Not after a slanging match over what motor is better or anything like that.

Cheers
    Steve

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Smile, It confuses people

Re: Advise on 950 hours on 2012 evinrude e tec

Opinion - what does "rebuilt" mean. I would want to get a look at any paperwork before even entertaining a rebuilt engine of any sort to see who did it and what was done and then research it and the builder to within an inch of their lives so to speak. If it was rebuilt using genuine parts - maybe. Aftermarket parts - not a chance. Then, if it all checks out, a full third party mechanical. Evinrude owners group can be a valuable source of information with technical questions on stuff like this.

Good points, I will ask more questions.
    Twas much at I like this boat, starting to think too much hassle.
    Thanks for your input.

I never put much faith in rebuilt, especially something like an e-tec, unless it's done properly, you are just buying trouble (possibly).

when there are so many boats available second hand why even consider something with a "issue" for a few grand
    dont buy other peoples shite, good outboards dont have the word rebuild attached to them

Technically a proper rebuild is as good as new so long as all new parts are used, if a engine failed in 120 hours than made it another 700 hours it makes u wonder is it a ticking time bomb, why would it blow up after 120 hours? that's practically a new engine still

the G1 Etec's are awesome engines but theycan be a bomb waiting to happen it may be another 10 hours or another 1000 hours just depends how often u run the diagnostics to catch problems when they start before a catastrophic failure

Why did it need a rebuild in the first place is the quetion I would ask then follow up on all the points made by the others like Scott
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Technically a proper rebuild is as good as new so long as all new parts are used, if a engine failed in 120 hours than made it another 700 hours it makes u wonder is it a ticking time bomb, why would it blow up after 120 hours? that's practically a new engine still

the G1 Etec's are awesome engines but theycan be a bomb waiting to happen it may be another 10 hours or another 1000 hours just depends how often u run the diagnostics to catch problems when they start before a catastrophic failure
    It didn't get rebuilt after 120 hours.
    It did 830 then was rebuilt, and has now done another 120 and still going.
    I will be asking more questions when I see him next.

All engines have a certain time before they need a major overhaul that could be 100 hours or it could be 1000 hours or even more its when u don't overhaul a engine on or before its designed to be is when they end catastrophically all those old vintage 2 stroke engines u think they will never die look at the ones that have thats because they are past due on there service

Modern motors shouldn't require a rebuild till well beyond 830 hours ……. certainly not a maintained motor . But then again it is an 2012 ETEC

I would want to know why

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    All engines have a certain time before they need a major overhaul that could be 100 hours or it could be 1000 hours or even more its when u don't overhaul a engine on or before its designed to be is when they end catastrophically all those old vintage 2 stroke engines u think they will never die look at the ones that have thats because they are past due on there service
    I don’t believe a rebuild is part of service requirements especially at 1k hours , some people have no idea and think at 1 k hours she’s going to die . Do some proper research into this you are making grandiose statements with no scientific backing .
    If it where me from all that I have read here I would be too scared to buy any etec as you make them sound like heaps of garbage ( which I don’t believe) but I am sure there are plenty of happy owners . For me having had motors rebuilt after catastrophic failure I would never put that motor back on any boat I want to rely on
    Oh and last Thursday I was out on a 6 mt brooker sport fishing boat that had done had done 3.5 k hours on a 150 Yamaha and traded it for a new 200 and got$ 10k for the old motor for no Major problems. This guy does a minimum of 60 travelling hours a week and laughs at 1000 hr discussion of problems . Oh nice day and caught some nice fish as well
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

yet gazza was defending them when he planned to rebuild one

a 2 stroke internals will outlast anyones boat, its ancillaries that let them down or corrosion letting water in
    with a etec add its all the "magical devices" they have added to get the emissions and weight down that kills them

look at all the old johnsons still running from the 60s 70s, a basic engine with good materials used and thousands upon thousands of hours of use.
    no one will wear a crank or bore out in recreational use

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I don’t believe a rebuild is part of service requirements especially at 1k hours , some people have no idea and think at 1 k hours she’s going to die . Do some proper research into this you are making grandiose statements with no scientific backing .
    If it where me from all that I have read here I would be too scared to buy any etec as you make them sound like heaps of garbage ( which I don’t believe) but I am sure there are plenty of happy owners . For me having had motors rebuilt after catastrophic failure I would never put that motor back on any boat I want to rely on
    Oh and last Thursday I was out on a 6 mt brooker sport fishing boat that had done had done 3.5 k hours on a 150 Yamaha and traded it for a new 200 and got$ 10k for the old motor for no Major problems. This guy does a minimum of 60 travelling hours a week and laughs at 1000 hr discussion of problems . Oh nice day and caught some nice fish as well
    A major overhaul is a service and all manufacturers require one at some point in the outboards life otherwise why would people buy a new outboard if one was not designed to be rebuilt technically they would last hundreds of years...

prove me wrong and show me an outboard that is designed to never be rebuilt? never to wear out and never need a overhaul...

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    yet gazza was defending them when he planned to rebuild one

a 2 stroke internals will outlast anyones boat, its ancillaries that let them down or corrosion letting water in
    with a etec add its all the "magical devices" they have added to get the emissions and weight down that kills them

look at all the old johnsons still running from the 60s 70s, a basic engine with good materials used and thousands upon thousands of hours of use.
    no one will wear a crank or bore out in recreational use
    Keep trolling and your dreaming... a lot of those old engines have been rebuilt. the ones that have not been rebuilt have seen fa hours in there entire life a lot have been stored away in barns and such or just left on properties unused for many many years than they come out of hibernation get a clean up and wow this engine is 40 years old and still running lol....

I'm yet to see a engine that is buy, use and throw away when it blows up!

disagreeing with the back flipping horse shit you say to people who are looking to spend their hard earned money is trolling ?

and no they havnt as its never economically viable to rebuild a engine something you havnt worked out yet
    a proper rebuild not some dodgy bore and re ring is always going to cost more then just buying one in a running condition

I wrote more but ain’t worth the effort.
    Just block me