Thread: Shading GPS and Sonar from the sun.

Shading GPS and Sonar from the sun.

Whenever I go out the GPS/Sonar units get very hot as they are mounted on top of the dash and in full sun, I was wondering that if I built a plastic shield around the back and over the top would it have to be clear, which defeats the purpose or can it be white. If that interferes with the GPS I guess the only alternative I have is to mount an external receiver. Also being on top of the dash and behind a windscreen the airflow is non existant in that area.

Re: Shading GPS and Sonar from the sun.

Needs to be pink Sam......😂😂. No mate, any colour you like is fine.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Always a problem with older style setups. I had the Elite-7mounted on top of the dash in the Dominator, just behind the windscreen,you could just about fry the proverbial on it. I'd put a towel behind it sometimes, but then it can't really dissipate the heat it already has. I've seen big shields put over them, but then you are obscuring vision even more. Stuff mounted up on the dash means you are often having to look around/over it. My flush-mounted stuff can often be in direct sunlight under the hardtop, but just doesn't seem to get as hot.
    The colour of the shield won't matter, more the material. Anything metal is probaly not a good idea, unless you want to go remote aerial, plastic probably won't bother it. Maybe cut-outs low around the bottom where the sun can't get directly on it, but will still allow some air flow.

I did think of wiring in a small fan behind them as well, PC style that doesn't draw much power.

i have fitted the berleypro visor / weather shields to all my HDS units which are mounted on the dash or on ram mounts (sitting behind the windscreen) and that helps shade them a bit and keeps some of the spray and rain off them - lot better than nothing i reckon

https://www.berleypro.com/product-category/visors/

Quote Originally Posted by patrol50 View Post
    i have fitted the berleypro visor / weather shields to all my HDS units which are mounted on the dash or on ram mounts (sitting behind the windscreen) and that helps shade them a bit and keeps some of the spray and rain off them - lot better than nothing i reckon

https://www.berleypro.com/product-category/visors/
    Interesting. Is there a gap at the back of the units as i would imagine if they were hard up and also black it wouldn't achieve any reduction in heat.

yea they are a pretty close fit around the unit although obviously with the necessary large opening left for the various power , sonar , ethernet ,nema connections and as well i drilled a few 10 mm holes to allow in some additional air flow as they do already sit reasonably well protected behind the windscreen - they were initially designed for use / shading / viewing ease / protection from spray, rain etc on kayaks i believe

cheers

i doubt if they increase the heat impact to any extent as the rear of the unit is not really covered much as they fit around it and the shading they provide would negate much of any heat increase i expect and there is a small set back off the side units to allow some airflow also helped by holes i drilled - i mainly bought them to protect from salt spray and rain and to help to be able to see in awkward sunlight

You could always paint it, that combined with extra holes would have to be better than what you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    You could always paint it, that combined with extra holes would have to be better than what you have now.
    yea couple coats of white paint probably would not hurt and probably help any cooling effect although they are in really more a shade / splash device that fit around the unit rather than all over it leaving much of the rear section of the unit uncovered - in fact i am a bit surprised the guy who makes them does'nt perhaps offer them in a white

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    The thought had crossed my mind. I looked at the site and they appear to have more side protection than from above and no rear view offered. It is hard to see what is offered as they are black and fitted to black sounders.

Might buy one and see how it goes.

For a cost effective trial Sam, if it will fit, I have used rectangular mop buckets as spray guards previously.

My new Axioms run hot in the shade. You could fry an egg on them. Don’t think sun makes much difference

If it doesn't kill the visibility, try turning your backlight down a bit. A lot of the power consumed and thus heat generated goes toward running the backlighting for the screens. Airflow across the heatsinks will help - if you can put up with the fan noise.