Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closing fuel tank vent when not in use?

Re: Closing fuel tank vent when not in use?

Do you have a fuel gauge sender - leaking perhaps? The two vents coming in at the back to me would indicate the tank could very easily trap an air pocket in the front. You could try storing bow down once the bilges are dry. Possibly also look at better hose clamps. Is the smell stronger in the cockpit of the boat or outside of the boat. Fuel vapour is heavier than air so it tends to sink. I quite often leave tote tanks in an under floor storage area on my rig that is certainly not air tight but when I pop the floor panel I will be able to smell fuel - even though there was nothing evident standing in the boat. Might give some indication as to whether the leak is internally in the boat or definitely coming from the breather.

Sounds like I need to lift the floor and check hose clamps etc. occasionally I have noticed a fuel smell when opening the storage hatch under the bunks in the cabin.
    Needs further investigation.
    Thanks

Closing fuel tank vent when not in use?

Sounds to me like a small leak from somewhere. You need to investigate.

Pull those breather hoses off. A mate pulled his of several years ago as having a similar problem. Both hoses clogged up with small spiders and bugs in their webs.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Thanks shakey55 will look at lifting the floor above the tank and check it all over.

Mine turned out to be the sender unit, leaking through the central bolt hole. There is a seal and a large ribbed plastic washer on top but the 5/16" nut and small washer eventually bowed it inwards after tightening it, I replaced the small washer with a large diameter one similar in size to the plastic one and replaced the seal, doesn't leak there anymore. I replaced the hose between the tank and filler tube but it was oversize and now it leaks from there, I cant seem to find a supplier of 2" fuel proof hose, the last one I got from Pirtek as I said is larger and near impossible to clamp down tight due to the armour wires in it.

If you can get your tank out you can pressure test it but still may not show where it's coming from. I sprayed detergent all over including the sender unit and no leaks eveident, fuel vapopur seems to need the tiniest hole or crack to be smelt. When you do get your floor up you might find spots of purple on your tank, these are where the fuel vapour has condensed and in 99% of cases has no bearing on where the leak is if it is relatively small.

B & B industrial carry fuel proof 50-60mm fuel hose and has no wire internals
    i had to get some for the filler neck on my mid 60s ford

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I cant seem to find a supplier of 2" fuel proof hose, the last one I got from Pirtek as I said is larger and near impossible to clamp down tight due to the armour wires in it.
    Is this the size your looking for mate?
    https://www.santmarine.com.au/index....product_id=116
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I have had similar sort of issues with a replacement tank,breather at the aft end top of tank...on a hot day in the drive it can burp out an "alarming" amount of fuel....I did a couple of simple things to confirm it was pressure related....cracked the filler cap, bow end of tank.and felt the pressure release.... and wound the trailer wheel at the coupling end so the bow was down and the stern up.....Made me think that you probably need a vent at both end of the tanks to cover both situations.I cant think that the stabilizer has anything to do with it...

stabliser also has to go in when the fuel is fresh

expensive exercise adding in weeks later for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Is this the size your looking for mate?
    https://www.santmarine.com.au/index....product_id=116
    I got my fuel filler hose from Clarke Rubber, they had a few different sizes and reasonably cheap.

Noel. Clark rubber here don't carry anything that Size here,35mm I think is the biggest.

Ozynorts. Buying a meter without being able to put the vernier across is a hit and miss, I measured a 50 mm pipe (not fuel resistant) today and it measured 54 mm ID.

Steve, I'll have a look at them. I also got a suggestion of another mobile supplier on the Sunshine Coast so I'll give them a go.

Noel. Clark rubber here don't carry anything that Size here,35mm I think is the biggest.

Ozynorts. Buying a meter without being able to put the vernier across is a hit and miss, I measured a 50 mm pipe (not fuel resistant) today and it measured 54 mm ID.

Steve, I'll have a look at them. I also got a suggestion of another mobile supplier on the Sunshine Coast so I'll give them a go.
    Fishing international on Parkyn parade stock it mate, just replaced mine recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

If you get stuck with the local's Sam, Try these guys. Great service at the Hemmant branch. We get a lot of gear for work through them.

https://www.hosesuppliers.com.au/contact-us

Darren,sorry to hijack your thread,it was unintentional. Hope you find your leak as they are a PIA and also a hazard.what sort of boat is the tank in and where are you located.