Thread: Caloundra offshore 13.03.2019

Caloundra offshore 13.03.2019

Gday guys, just a pretty disappointing report from today. Left home at 4.30am to hit a dead flat but shallow bar at 5.00am. Headed straight out about 35km on a pretty flat seato some 65m country. Pulled 1 nice snapper and 1 nice pearly on the first drop. This looked promising. Then nothing, wind was about 10kt and everything looked good. We continued out to the 100m line for nil. Out to the trusty old barcod ground in 210m. Never really let us down yet. Sounding, sounding , sounding, bang, here they are!!!!! Baits deployed and baits returned untouched. What’s going on???Baits deployed again, baits returned untouched!!! This is not good. That was fresh Yakka which always works, good quality mullet, which also always works. Let’s try frozen squid and fresh whiting frames. ZZZZZZZZZZ, there goes 130m of line on a heavy drag in under 30 seconds. Crikey wind the drag to max because that is not really something we would want and I don’t want to lose all the line. Snap!!!!!! I thought it had let go at the trace however the line let go with 50m of braid still out???? Not sure what happened there. I am thinking way to fast for a shark but??? Rerig and back on with the squid. Game on, first cod in the box. Let’s try that again. #2 in the box then the offsides put one in also.
    That was it, as quickly as it heated up it died off. Not another fish. Wind was a solid 20+ knots by now so we tried a couple of spots on the way in for nil.

Total 3 barcod, 1 pearly and 1 snapper. All quality fish but no trophies so no pics. Pretty hard going for the few fish we got. Still good to be out but.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Caloundra offshore 13.03.2019

Took the dog for a swim along Moffat beach this morning and thought it would have been a nice morning out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I went out on a charter on Sat 9/3/19 from Mooloolaba we had a great day and caught heaps of fish , kingfish, trevally, spangled emperor, big mother in laws,sweetlip, tuskies and hooked a couple of sharks. On the way out we set some crab traps and on the way back in we were rewarded with a good haul of spanner crabs. I never have much faith in charter trips but Saturdays outing was one of the best I've been on.

How was the current Lee?

we are going to have a crack at a few bar cod tomorrow.

Thanks
    rob

RTP, mate the current was virtually nil. 1.5kg was going straight down until the wind got up and the drift became quickerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9691.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	118860

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bugsytwoshoes View Post
    I went out on a charter on Sat 9/3/19 from Mooloolaba we had a great day and caught heaps of fish , kingfish, trevally, spangled emperor, big mother in laws,sweetlip, tuskies and hooked a couple of sharks. On the way out we set some crab traps and on the way back in we were rewarded with a good haul of spanner crabs. I never have much faith in charter trips but Saturdays outing was one of the best I've been on.
    Who did you go with mate?

Good to hear Lee.
    This will be our first serious crack in the deep, will let you know how we go.

RTP, there were plenty of fish showing on the sounder but just not biting. It was only a very brief bite time. The current on the BOM site out there now is nil. I’ll try and post a link to the current time current monitor Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9692.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	118861.
    https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/c...sites/brisbane

Sunday was similar, although finding shows of fish was even harder. No current, it wasn't till we tried a spot I'd found a couple of years ago that we thought might produce at some time. We pulled 3 snapper and a pearlie from it before it shut down. We picked up 3 tuskies throughout the day to round off our catch. Certainly hard work. Drove past a black marlin within 5 metres of the boat and it wasn't spooked at all. Mat3 caught a remora, the shark it came off came up for a look but wasn't remotely interested in the undersized coral cod and coronation trout we caught and sent back to the briny.

Hi Funchy, Top Catch charters.