Thread: Combo for casting metal lures

Combo for casting metal lures

What type of rod and reel would you consider suitable for casting metal lures around 28-55g at the beach for salmon and tailor in victoria?

Budget options are best as it wont get a heap of use, just a bit of fun now and then.

Re: Combo for casting metal lures

Let’s hope slider sees this post.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

No one casts metals off the beach?

I have a couple of basic 12" surf rods for casting baits.

A couple of rods i have come across that seem ok are;

Shimano catana 9" 6-8kg $107
    Rovex revenge 10" 6-15kg $69

Or possibly an 8" 5-8kg composite rod would suffice?

Hi Ben,
    I take two, for the smaller lures 5gm to 30gm I use a Rovex squid wrangler which is 8'6", with 15lb braid on a 3000 size egg beater. I use this outfit more then the heavier option.
    For heavier lures I have a 10' homemade rod with 25lb braid which can throw lures up to 80 grams or so.
    For a while I used a 7' Catana which was fine until you see your mates throw the same lure further.
    I like using the Rovex which I have had for 5 or so years, so I would happily give the Revenge a go.
    Good luck

Thanks chappie.

I was pretty temped to go with the 10' rovex revenge. I have a smaller one and its a nice little rod, only paid $29 for it.

I wast sure if 10" might be a bit long, havent seen one in the flesh so i decided to go with the 9' catana.
    Quote Originally Posted by chappie View Post
    Hi Ben,
    I take two, for the smaller lures 5gm to 30gm I use a Rovex squid wrangler which is 8'6", with 15lb braid on a 3000 size egg beater. I use this outfit more then the heavier option.
    For heavier lures I have a 10' homemade rod with 25lb braid which can throw lures up to 80 grams or so.
    For a while I used a 7' Catana which was fine until you see your mates throw the same lure further.
    I like using the Rovex which I have had for 5 or so years, so I would happily give the Revenge a go.
    Good luck