Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on towing a Cruisecraft to Cairns from Brisbane

Re: Thoughts on towing a Cruisecraft to Cairns from Brisbane

Oh almost forgot

Holden Colorado (2014) and a Yalta 2200 fisherman.

BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Towing the boat to Cairns is no big deal if you are set up for the tow. Lived there most of my life and if you want to go out to the reef forget the charter boats. Towed 19 ft boats to the cape with no problems. Can give you some marks if you want for the Cairns area. Have boat will travel is the approach to take and don't understand what the issue is. Yep you may get there and the conditions may not be perfect but that's life.

Yep, agree the actual tow is not earth stopping, IF you were towing for a couple of weeks fishing holiday, but (in my opinion) this is different because he wants to tow the boat to possibly use on the way to the cape, so time spent towing, using and storing comes out of the original planned trip, if you get what I mean.

I towed my 625 Cruisey to Dingo Beach at Xmas as we were up north for 3 weeks. Boat 2.7T towed very nicely and ranged between 18.9 to 23.9L/100km for the total trip. Unfortunately our boys developed chicken pox on day 2 when the weather was variable to 10 leading up to xmas day, then it was 25-50kn for the next 7 days. Even in the 25kn we were able to skirt the islands for a feed of trout, fingermark and crays. I did a trip up the Gregory chasing barra...err jacks for a day. I thought I had a big boat until the B.I.L's mate turned up in a 760 Haines.

The tow isn’t a big deal. 625 cruisecraft isn’t an enormous boat,

But from my experience I’d not try and do two types of trips in one. Takes away from the fun.do cape trip on its own or a fishing trip on it own and enjoy them separately.

If your after pure fishing, tow your cruisecraft to Cooktown and fish out of there for 3 weeks. You’ll catch more fish than you ever have.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    I towed my 625 Cruisey to Dingo Beach at Xmas as we were up north for 3 weeks. Boat 2.7T towed very nicely and ranged between 18.9 to 23.9L/100km for the total trip. Unfortunately our boys developed chicken pox on day 2 when the weather was variable to 10 leading up to xmas day, then it was 25-50kn for the next 7 days. Even in the 25kn we were able to skirt the islands for a feed of trout, fingermark and crays. I did a trip up the Gregory chasing barra...err jacks for a day. I thought I had a big boat until the B.I.L's mate turned up in a 760 Haines.
    Hi WAGS
    what was your tow vehicle ? just looking at our fuel burns and yours was a bit more than mine.

BigE

Almako we are heading to Lucinda for 10 days in august with 3 boats all over 6 metres .Will take our time over 2 days .from brisbane. Lucinda is only 250 ks from cairns.Like the idea of cooktown though for a few days up and back if you could. I’m sureyou would find somewhere secure to leave your rig . There would be people leaving there caravans etc there for cape trips .....It’s our first time to lucinda as we normally go to 1770 . Lucinda looks like a good option if weather goes both ways....BTW any basic gps marks in the channel and reefs would be appreciated if any one reading this feels generous Cheers Paul .

No different than the thousands of caravans that get towed both ways, we tow our Kevlacat 2400 from Tassie to 1770 most winters for a couple months, big tow but set up for it, and worth it for sure!

Iv just towed a 2.6 ton caravan up here to Cooktown no probs mate , roads are great and the dmax handled it easily. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

No big deal towing your Cruisecraft , we will be towing up to Cooktown from the GC this September , just follow some good towing advise already given in theis thread

Attachment 119167BOAT.jpg

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Towed my 19c Haines Hunter from Brisbane to Cairns stopping at shute Lucinda for 4 or 5 days ea did this trip 8 or9 times loved every trip did some magic fishing to camped on the water in the boat,this was the 1980s to bloody old now haha i would go again tomorrow if i was young enough but i recon the secret is a good trailer tyres new and my darling Land Cruiser factory turbo magic never had a puncture ever good luck cheers GrHilly.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Hi WAGS
    what was your tow vehicle ? just looking at our fuel burns and yours was a bit more than mine.

BigE
    I was experimenting with the lock up torque converter (LOTC) on the 200 - Cruise control versus right-foot. 18-20L/100km using right foot, 22-24L/100km using cruise control. All towing in S5 as opposed to D.

Make sure u get your wheel bearing checked

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    Make sure u get your wheel bearing checked
    Car or boat? and why?

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Car or boat? and why?
    Boat. If they are corroded or weak, a long trip could heat them up and they could go pop. Relatively cheap to get them replaced before the trip for peace of mind.