Thread: Caribbean offshore or Savage Tasman

Caribbean offshore or Savage Tasman

Hi all
    I'm in the process of replacing my boat and looking at 16 and 17 footers. I've found a Caribbean offshore 2003 that reads well but I can't find any reviews on them, I believe they are made to order. Does anyone have any knowledge of them and if not any thoughts on the Savage Tasman from 2004?
    Thanks
    Rob

Re: Caribbean offshore or Savage Tasman

G'day Rob
    We had a Savage Tasman 5.2SP I think 2001 model. The company still built their own boats but was owned by mercury marine I think, before they contracted to Whittley. We had it for about 7 years, it was a good boat, no issues, never scared us and we did get into some rough water at times. I really liked the transom setup and how it maximised the fishing space with the middle cushion folding down when the motor was tilted up. Simple but effective. The only annoyance I just recall was the cover for the dash wiring (on the cabin side), it wasn't done well and let go. I had to do put in some extra support fasteners which made it strong but a pain to take off and access. This may have been improved later? Overall though, good safe boat and build quality seemed very good. Oh one more thing, there is an area on the bow to mount a gypsy style winch but as is often the case in boats this size there isn't enough space below for the rope and chain to fall, someone had to push it away as it came in. A drum winch would be the way to go, not sure about mounting, probably in the cabin?
    Cheers
    Rod

Thanks Rod. I have read they are a soft riding boat but what are your thoughts on stability, particularly at anchor? In regard to anchoring we usually have the anchor and rope for the depth of water on the deck (sometimes 30 fathoms) but as we are getting older I will look into a winch
    Cheers
    Rob

For a boat that size I would say it's pretty good, tis a deep V by definition at 18 deg. Any boat in that class is going to lean over if you get the weight on one side. I remember that I would always give a heads up if I was moving to the other side of the boat, but it's par for the course I'd say. High sides and good toe under helps along with awareness.
    Cheers
    Rod

both sporty looking hulls for their size. pocket rockets hard decision for ya . id be checking out the caribbean first . is that the one with 220 hrs . looks good but there is a permatrim on the 75 HP outboard. could be a touch under powered .

That's the boat, really struggling to get any sort of review for it though. Had the same thought about the permatrim. Starting to lean towards the Savage as its a little larger and reviews are good. Need a comfortable boat for a couple of old guys to potter around Coffs Harbour's reefs and one that's easy to launch and retrieve

yeah should do the job , they look deep inside the cockpit , and transom layup looks functional..17 ft boats are perfect size i reckon, good luck

Think the Savage will be it but now I've found a Haines Hunter 520sf for another four and a half grand. One of those things where you think 'only a bit more' and end up spending way over budget. Enjoying the chase though

Also a trap that can catch people out is when you jump to another price range you can buy the much better ................. boat or whatever without checking out what else is available in that range. It really requires starting again, kinda.
    Cheers
    Rod