Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help on New boat with 150 Etec, 800 Hours +

Help on New boat with 150 Etec, 800 Hours +

Hi Guys, looking to buy a 2006 Fishing Boat with an Evinrude 150 Etec with 800 hours on it.

Are these motors any good and what should I be looking before I buy it ? I am going to get someone to look at it. But the 800 hours seems alot to me. How long can they last

Cheers

Leeroy

Re: Help on New boat with 150 Etec, 800 Hours +

There are reports of commercially run E-Tec's doing in the 3-4 thousand sort of hour range. IMO the hours themselves are a lot less important than how they were done and how the engine has been looked after. Like any second hand new tech engine, I would be getting it looked at by a reputable dealer in your area and getting a ECU download to look at usage patterns and historical faults etc prior to committing. Things of note to check on with the earlier E-Tecs as well - engine mounts and bolts - both upper and lower, making sure the vessel has a good filtration system for the fuel, WOT RPM is at or near the models optimum or higher ( computer report will have a graph and numerical values) and that there are no extreme overheats.

It's impossible to say how long any motor will last, it may go for 3,000 hours, it might blow up tomorrow, 800 hours would not put me off if everything checks out OK, the age is probably more of a concern than the hours.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Motors are better being run regularly and serviced on schedule. A motor with very few hours for its age is a real concern. 12 or 13 years,and 800 hours? I'd say that actually tends to reflect light use. Might be OK, should'nt be an automatic turn off. As others said, get a print out from a BRP dealer.

Etec's are built tough but lack of sensors is there downfall make sure u replace the thermostats and impeller with genuine parts before u use her

I just sold a etec in parts so have an idea of what parts fail and what people want, i had a few people want the flywheel, a few people also wanted the trim unit, they had problems with the exhaust valves sticking open but other than using a little extra fuel it wasnt a problem however to replace the exhaust valve u need to buy a whole middle section

A huge amount of people wanted the icommamd gauges i was asked almost on a daily basis so if yours comes with this guage thats a bonus

The fuel injectors are a let down they can fail without warning at any rpm and there are no sensors this usually takes out a piston but doesnt effect the crankshaft rod journal because the crankshaft has been hardened

Thanks.

I just spoke to the service centre and it was serviced 12 months ago.

Is it advisable to service them every 12 months then anyway?

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Etec's are built tough but lack of sensors is there downfall make sure u replace the thermostats and impeller with genuine parts before u use her

I just sold a etec in parts so have an idea of what parts fail and what people want, i had a few people want the flywheel, a few people also wanted the trim unit, they had problems with the exhaust valves sticking open but other than using a little extra fuel it wasnt a problem however to replace the exhaust valve u need to buy a whole middle section

A huge amount of people wanted the icommamd gauges i was asked almost on a daily basis so if yours comes with this guage thats a bonus

The fuel injectors are a let down they can fail without warning at any rpm and there are no sensors this usually takes out a piston but doesnt effect the crankshaft rod journal because the crankshaft has been hardened
    No exhaust actuator in the V6 engines Gazza and they can take a piston if they run lean in an injector failure but not every failure does - depends on the failure. I know blokes that have run considerable distance on 5 out of 6 cylinders without drama - not that it is something I would recommend. I think the one's that do take a piston are probably like the one you bought - no indication there was anything wrong. Some failures present as an obvious loss of power - ie no ignition on one cylinder hence no lean running or excess temps. The I-Commands will be in demand because Navico (the manufacturer for BRP) has discontinued the product so no new ones available. If you have a failure you have to change all your gauges if you have multiple displays and wish to retain a uniform look. The replacement series - Icon, returns to using an analogue tach display with a digital LCD under it and separate analogue 2 inch gauges for secondary displays if required. They do have new colour LCD panels but their functionality is squarely aimed at G2 engines.

Quote Originally Posted by leeroybee View Post
    Thanks.

I just spoke to the service centre and it was serviced 12 months ago.

Is it advisable to service them every 12 months then anyway?

Lee
    It's probably not a bad idea Lee if you aren't the sort of person to do periodical stuff yourself. I don't - but every so often I change the gearbox oil, drop the bolts out of the leg and lubricate them (one at a time) and lift the lid and have a general poke around and lubricate various linkages etc. Plenty of guys do self service - not ridiculously difficult with a service manual. The Evinrude Owners Group website is an E-Tec specific website that is a wealth of information on these motors. Like all mechanical forums though, most people only visit if they have issues so at first glance it can seem off putting.

like you say 800 hrs is a lot , must be a good price to get you interested , whats your goal as in fuel consumption, torque, reliability. or is it the boat that is the hero in this selection think about. go carbie old school, least you can pull out the carbies your self for a clean. injectors hmmm call the professionals with the huge bill comin in..ohh my head hurts why did i buy this thing that explodes at 900 hrs ha ha .

I just spoke to a guy that inspects boats for a living and he said I should avoid the ETEC like a plague and 800 hours is a lot for a 2 stroke. Hmm he also said the motor is basically worth nothing and Im buying on boat alone.

Brief comment on the info your received BS
    What could go wrong.......................

Lol and I bet he said that Mercurys are nothing but black anchors and that Yamaha are the only brand to buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Well Yamaha’s are

But in all seriousness 800 hours of maintained is not a lot of hours

Avoid any outboard that hasn’t had regular servicing

Even though etec have the 300 hour thing or what ever it is now
    Pivot tubes need lubing or can flog out
    Water pumps pick up sand and many other things need to be checked

A 800 hour outboard serviced regularly in my mind is better then a 8 year old outboard with ten hours and no service

I just spoke to a guy that inspects boats for a living and he said I should avoid the ETEC like a plague and 800 hours is a lot for a 2 stroke. Hmm he also said the motor is basically worth nothing and Im buying on boat alone.
    I would be avoiding that mechanic like the plague, and I wouldn't like to rely on his inspection either, unless he tells the seller and they drop the price according to his bad knowledge.

I call rubbish on that statement ,my 60 hp 2 stroke mariner had 950 hrs on it and still had 125 lb in all 3 cylinders . All it’s life it was regularly serviced and premium quicksilver run in it , the guy I sold it too has had 200 trouble free hours on it in 8 months no problems . I believe 3000 hrs is not unrealistic. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......