Thread: Costs for Garmin Updates

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Costs for Garmin Updates

Yikes!

I've got an 18 month old Garmin Chart Plotter combo Echo Map Chirp 75 sv (already discontinued) and went to update it via Garmin Express ........ TWO HUNDRED BUCKS!!

Are Navionics (bought out by Garmin) or C-Map any cheaper, not that I can use them anyway!

I've found that in my patch of water i.e. Moreton Bay Brisbane, even the updates are woefully out of date!

We have some marine zones buoys here that are still not on the electronic charts yet even though they are 5+ years old!

Ta

Re: Costs for Garmin Updates

G'day
    Garmin created a great feature called "boundaries" You can enter the coordinates to create the marine zones on your display, then there are options to have alarms activate when entering or leaving if you wish
    Cheers
    Rod

Thanks for that, I've actually used it plus you can also use the cursor to draw lines but it's as tedious as milking a mouse! I used about 150 waypoints drawing in a bunch of zones and hard going around corners.

Trouble is Garmin uses those tiny, impossible to see little purply dotted lines around the zones, big thick red ones would be great!

I can't find a decent chart editing bit of software to let me do it on my PC that would be Soooooo much easier!

Home Port seems useless to me!

G'day
    Wow, I see your based in Moreton Bay so I googled the zones, so many. I have 3 in my area in SA the most convoluted has 8 waypoints to define it. I get a sense of your dilemma. From memory I don't think the boundary feature is on Homeport. If you give Garmin support a ring they are pretty helpful, they implemented some changes after I called, including the creation of the boundary feature
    Cheers
    Rod

I have a Navman that has the chip for Victoria. Now in NSW need a new chip ... you got it $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Crusader View Post
    G'day
    Wow, I see your based in Moreton Bay so I googled the zones, so many. I have 3 in my area in SA the most convoluted has 8 waypoints to define it. I get a sense of your dilemma. From memory I don't think the boundary feature is on Homeport. If you give Garmin support a ring they are pretty helpful, they implemented some changes after I called, including the creation of the boundary feature
    Cheers
    Rod
    Yep, need traffic lights to negotiate the zones up here, bloody nightmare!

I did ask Garmin to make the zone boundaries more prominent but not interested!

Never mind, the Greenies want all of the Bay shut down asap so once Shifty Shorten gets in, may as well sell the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPanther View Post
    Yikes!

I've got an 18 month old Garmin Chart Plotter combo Echo Map Chirp 75 sv (already discontinued) and went to update it via Garmin Express ........ TWO HUNDRED BUCKS!!

Are Navionics (bought out by Garmin) or C-Map any cheaper, not that I can use them anyway!

I've found that in my patch of water i.e. Moreton Bay Brisbane, even the updates are woefully out of date!

We have some marine zones buoys here that are still not on the electronic charts yet even though they are 5+ years old!

Ta
    I’m actually about to update my Garmin 75dv due there being GPS date changeover coming up - April I think.

Are you saying it cost $200 to update my unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Shakey the device software updates are free if you choose the 'download' option(rather than have them sent you a copy). It's the chart updates that cost.
    Pinkpanther, yeah, I know where you are coming from
    Cheers
    Rod

PinkPanther, I don't have the "boundaries" option but for marine parks I just grabbed hold of maps from Fisheries for the areas I was interested and created a route punching in the coordinates as they are all listed and set the track to Red or if you want green.

yes Homeport is not that intuitive but I do a lot in it as it is my backup for WP's, I create "boundaries" quickly and easily and work out distances etc. You do need to download the map from your unit to an SD card and insert it into your PC then all your contour lines will show up. Not sure about your unit but mine saves all the depth and COG data and it is interesting to double click on the track and review the depths where you've been.

Thks for that info!

I tried creating lines to mark the no fish zones but that created a squillion waypoints.

The "Boundaries" option is certainly a lot easier!

Using the co-ords is one way but here in Moreton Bay the are up to 60+ of them in just one zone and typing them is like milking a mouse, tedious!

Anyway, the Greenies have just about had the best parts of the Bay shut down nowadays so trying to navigate around them is like a kitten with a ball of wool!

PP I understand where you're coming from.There are places up NQ where it took us a couple of days to get to and we could fish off the beach,first day only as the crocs were around, but there were some nice reefs within 15 mins but became a green zone. Why,probably because so few people went there.