Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Garmin GPSmap 1020xs no sonar - help?

    G'day
    Fired up the 2 1020xs units just to check the boat batteries voltage, but found there is no sonar, not in the home menu, can't be added, pressing the power button to enable sonar doesn't work as it seems the transducer is not being detected. Perhaps a broken wire or something. Though the last time I used them I put in a heap of waypoints and disabled sonar, pretty sure I enabled sonar at the end of the process. Now, I think I've tried everything and left only with plugging in another transducer, which I have but located 100km away :-(

    I've tried everything I can think of, including swapping units around, unplugging the transducer and reconnecting, with and without them on, downloaded and reinstalled the latest updates, ran in demo mode which frustratingly showed all the sonar options and the disable/enable sonar option on the power button, unfortunately made no difference outside of demo mode.
    Seems I'm stuffed til I get the other transducer to try but wonder if any other thoughts?
    Cheers
    Rod

  2. #2

    Re: Garmin GPSmap 1020xs no sonar - help?

    I had the same problem when I first bought the same unit but it was fixed as soon as I did the update.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  3. #3

    Re: Garmin GPSmap 1020xs no sonar - help?

    Garmin used to use the thermistor as a way of determining whether there was a transducer connected - if it didn't detect the temperature sensor it assumed nothing was there. These days there is also transducer ID in a lot of transducers. Do you have access to any set up menus that have sounder options - if so may be able to manually tell it what transducer you have.

  4. #4

    Re: Garmin GPSmap 1020xs no sonar - help?

    Thanks for replies
    G'day Scottar. The unit does detect and identify connected transducers, but that isn't happening, the result is that there are no menus available that relate to the transducer. Well that seems to be the issue, but quite a coincidence to me turning off and back on last time. I see my 2 options as try other trannie and/or system reset. both a bit inconvenient now. But I'll get to it. It does make me think about the routing of the wiring as it is a little tight and may be a factor. Might also ring garmin support during the week. It was too late when I realised yesterday.
    Cheers
    Rod

  5. #5

    Re: Garmin GPSmap 1020xs no sonar - help?

    Yep so garmin units wont show any sonar options unless it detects a transducer, if you swapped it out with the other head unit and the same occured, it can be that the transducer is faulty having a bad connection. that said is it a new transducer? newer GT transducers wont work on the 1020s unless updated.. so worth checking the software if that is the case

    Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

  6. #6

    Re: Garmin GPSmap 1020xs no sonar - help?

    G'day Moose
    Thanks. The trannie is the GT20 that came with the units, spare the same. Yes same happened whichever unit the trannie plugged in to. I wish I had the other here to try but for some dopey reason I have stored it at home. Oh well a bit of patience required.
    Cheers
    Rod

  7. #7

    Re: Garmin GPSmap 1020xs no sonar - help?

    Yeah it was the transducer. Plugged in the replacement and all good.
    Now to install it
    Cheers
    Rod

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us