Thread: Garmin 8 Pin NMEA Cable

Garmin 8 Pin NMEA Cable

I am about to swap out my older style Lowrance combo that is networked to my Suzuki 4st via a 5 pin network cable. I’m replacing it with a Garmin 1080Sx that has an 8 pin network port.

What cable do I need to buy to make the NMEA run on my Garmin so I have all my engine data on screen? Is there any other bits that need buying with the new cable to get it to work?

Where is the best place on the sunny coast to acquire?

All help is greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: Garmin 8 Pin NMEA Cable

Disregard I was being a muppet. Looking at the wrong port. The Garmin is 5 pin also.

lol laughing at yourself is a sign of high intelligence

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Ok so I got the Garmin wired in today. My first confusion was the old Lowrance had 3 cables on the power wire, one had been cut short and two separate ones were wired into two separate fuses (positive) with two earths. The fuses were 3amp and the Garmin already has an in-line 6amp so I got rid of the two 3amp fuses. The Garmin has only a single positive and negative lead. All wired up and everthy booted up just fine.

One thing though, even though I had the NMEA cable plugged in, when I turned the ignition on I have no engine data coming into the Garmin. Engine hours etc are blank. What do I have to do to get the data coming through to the Garmin? Is it a settings thing on the unit or does the second power lead on the Lowrance have something to do with it?

The early Lowrance units used to power the NMEA2000 bus through the second power cable. You may need to add another tee and a power lead.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The early Lowrance units used to power the NMEA2000 bus through the second power cable. You may need to add another tee and a power lead.
    Thanks Scott. What stores sell just the power cable?

What engine are you running? Are there any other devices on the NMEA2000 ?

Disregard engine question....I should read properly from time to time. Any good marine electronics store should be able to get one if they don't carry stock. If you need another tee as well to provide somewhere to plug the power lead in, make sure you get the same brand as while garmin and lowrance tees will connect and function electrically, the mounting alignment is different. If the cost of the individual parts is getting up there also look at the cost of a lowrace starter kit - last one I bought was about $80. I assume the old lowrance had the red NMEA2000 connection and not the blue ones.

This is what I have. Top cable goes to the unit. Bottom cable goes to the engine. Can I plug into one of these grey fittings on either end?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No. They are terminators and have to stay. You need a lowrance tee and a power lead and you are all good.

Ended up having to buy the Lowrance starter kit.

It will have everything you need plus spares which can be very useful for fault finding or if you add another device

Thanks for the heads up Scott. Got it all working and then I found the ally cracking around the helm so now it’s a weld job to do before I’m back on the water.

It is a B.O.A.T I guess. One of these days I'm going to wet mine again. at this stage I'm not entirely convinced it won't dissolve in shock .