Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reel Maintenance

Reel Maintenance

Went for a Fish the other day and one of my baitcasters sounded a tad dry and noisy!! , gave me a heads up "About Time for some maintenance " . Well glad i did too, although i always give my Reels a good freshwater hosedfown after each trip most were a tad on the dirty oily side when pulled apart .
    Water ingress from hosedown i guess and dont seem to make em as they used to!!??..
    More regular cleandown and oil from the looks of it ey..

Re: Reel Maintenance

A more motivated, younger and less time poor version of me used to service his reels every 6 months but I was on the water nearly every weekend.vthese days they do tend to get attention either before a big trip or if they get vocal. A bit of regular love goes a long way

Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I do lots of reel repairs for friends and I find doing them is almost kind of therapeutic, I get all setup on the balcony table, tools all laid out on a towel (an old towel if you want to stay alive) and some grease an WD40 type spray and some containers to put parts in, most reels are pretty simple, biggest issue is when someone has had a go at fixing one and bring it to me in a plastic bag in a thousand bits.

I don't think that would be my method to fix anything, he mentions how salt water got in at 30mph on his JetSki, I suspect it might get in a bit easier now it's a great hole drilled in it.

Any particular grease noel?

what do you ro with the drag washers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I do lots of reel repairs for friends and I find doing them is almost kind of therapeutic, I get all setup on the balcony table, tools all laid out on a towel (an old towel if you want to stay alive) and some grease an WD40 type spray and some containers to put parts in, most reels are pretty simple, biggest issue is when someone has had a go at fixing one and bring it to me in a plastic bag in a thousand bits.

Yes, while this looks all good and easy i have trouble thinking about the drill shavings when drilling said hole!!.
    If i were to follow the idea i would prefer next time i serviced my reel to take sideplate apart, drill and clean hole attatching a rubber bung ti fit.
    That way no shavings left behind within reel internals.
    Next question is?? , what has this fogging oil in it??.

Would just be easier to buy reels that have an oil port I would have thought but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ben475 View Post
    Any particular grease noel?

what do you ro with the drag washers?
    I use outboard marine grease on spinning reels, and most game reels, but some baitcasters I use oil or brand name grease, most drags are dry unless some sort of upgrade has been done. I posted this once before I think, but I have a nice set of Dental tools, little picker things, hook things and my best thing is a pair or artery tweezers, they hold stuff really tight, they kind of work in reverse, you push them open and they are sprung loaded closed, add to that a small quality shifter, various sized philips and Flathead screwdrivers and some decent long nose pliers and you can just about fix any reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I don't think that would be my method to fix anything, he mentions how salt water got in at 30mph on his JetSki, I suspect it might get in a bit easier now it's a great hole drilled in it.
    A screw goes in the hole.. and some of the comments are people using rubber grommets etc instead.

It's usually plastic so going slow keeps the "shaving" in one piece and they used a vacuum as well.

The "Hot Sauce" product from Quantum seems to be a pretty good "purpose built" product. Same sort of colour as ATF..........hmmmmmm. Stains the same too if you aren't careful. Do not use it near your wifes best white table cloth.......no brownie points there at all.

I have been guilty of some rather serious working in the house disasters, that's why I work out on the balcony now, I have spilled acetone on Lino tiles in the kitchen years ago, dissolved them in a second, used the best measuring jug for outboard oil back in my premix days, got some petrol in my eye and while fumbling blindly for something to wipe them with, I picked up a white sheet in the laundry with greasy hands, dripped some rod varnish on the kitchen table, got some rather icy moments after some of those, funnily enough, still married!

Same here Noel. All sorts of misadventure. I never did locate the spring from a shimano baitcaster in Mum's living room carpet. I don't dare work outdoors for the same reason - or in the shed for that matter. Way too many nooks and crannies for small "jumpy" parts to hide themselves - at least until I've bought the replacement.

My balcony is a dream work space, lots of light, comfy chairs and white table which is perfect for doing repairs, plus a fantastic view of the beach to keep me entertained. I find if you get everything ready before hand, most things go well, it's when you have to search around for a special tool or something that things get lost.