Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reel Maintenance

Re: Reel Maintenance

Little Lake which is at the end of the beach, just near my place is very popular with families, nice and safe for kids to swim, we often walk down the road and picnic or BBQ there with the grandkids.

With a trip coming up in a few weeks time, i pulled out an old jarvis walker spin reel that hasnt been used in 17 years, was last used fishing the surf but pretty much fresh water trolling only besides that.

The reels been stored in its box inside the house and pretty much looks like new.

I have a quick look over it and give it a wind, it could be a touch smoother but it feels ok.
    But i notice the spool is not moving up and down, strange...
    So i pull it apart and notice a heap of the gears have been stripped, bit surprising as i remember it working last time it was used.

Anyway apart from that all the bearings were in good condition, there was plenty of grease inside the reel and it was clean inside.

I dont think it would have needed anything doing to it had the gears not been stripped.

Aluminium gears I presume ??. Ive had a couple of older threadline reels and like yours , sitting in their box and strangely enough after some years upon stripping for maint clean some of the cogs on the gears were missing presumadly stripped ??.
    Eroded was I think what happened older alloy compound.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Aluminium gears I presume ??. Ive had a couple of older threadline reels and like yours , sitting in their box and strangely enough after some years upon stripping for maint clean some of the cogs on the gears were missing presumadly stripped ??.
    Eroded was I think what happened older alloy compound.
    I didnt think about what they were made of, but yeah now thinking of it, it did look like that cast type alloy? The broken parts look a bit like its made from compressed powder.

Interesting you have experienced the same problem.

Yep have some older threadies ive kept in their original box they came in in hope of handing down to the Grandchildren !! , but at days end buy them quallity to last and always look into what the gears/gearing are made of .
    Guess that may happen here n there with reels that may be a tad cheaper in price ??....
    Mind you i have some more exy priced reels that have shyte themselves second trip out too...