Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reel Maintenance

Re: Reel Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Same here Noel. All sorts of misadventure. I never did locate the spring from a shimano baitcaster in Mum's living room carpet. I don't dare work outdoors for the same reason - or in the shed for that matter. Way too many nooks and crannies for small "jumpy" parts to hide themselves - at least until I've bought the replacement.
    Yep. Those little nylon pieces inside the bail arm mechanism of spinning reels just love to go about 10 metres into my white rock garden. Must be dozens of them there, even tried using one of those fly nets you put on the table at a bbq but they still get out somehow.

The view from my "workshop"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice view. The weathers a bit warmer up here - never get anything done too many distractions in a location like that and can never guarantee something will go back together properly .

Yeah it is distracting at times, there is a roof and I sit in the shade, plus the sea breeze keeps things nice and cool, it's distracting when the surfs good and there's a lot of surfers out, it's not always flat like that of course, I get a few Crays straight across the road which is good
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oops I forgot, that's a day when it's not so flat

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I do lots of reel repairs for friends and I find doing them is almost kind of therapeutic............
    Funny that,lol,I've been 'retired' eighteen months after fifteen years of service and repair of reels and rods.......If I never see the inside of another reel it will be to soon.

......and for those losing springs etc,take the part off in a plastic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Funny that,lol,I've been 'retired' eighteen months after fifteen years of service and repair of reels and rods.......If I never see the inside of another reel it will be to soon.
    Yeah, I guess it's like lots of things, if you have to do it is a lot different to want to do it, I only do it because it's something I like, I don't charge and only do reels for friends, it's certainly not a business or time consuming, it just kind of happened decades ago, I started mucking around modifying reels that had a few bugs in their day and it just continued on.

The view from my "workshop"

Is that Barrack Point?

Yes, sure is, I have lived there all my life, my grandparents moved there sometime in the 1930s, and I have lived in Headland Parade since I was born.

Bit closer n you could cast a bait ..
    Nice view

I do fish just over the road, get some nice Bream.

Surf Whiting ??.

Yes, Whiting are very slow this year, but I get beach worms on the beach pictured, not that I am very good at catching them, but it's good fun, then fish for Whiting, usually get a decent feed, no idea what's happened to them this year, but right down the coast it's the same, Lake Illawarra usually has plenty, but Whiting and Crabs are hard work this year, too hot, too cold? Too much rain, not enough rain? who knows?

Yes, sure is, I have lived there all my life, my grandparents moved there sometime in the 1930s, and I have lived in Headland Parade since I was born.
    Beautiful spot.I can remember lots of days on that beach as a little kid.