Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Back to trimming the little Ventura.

You may recall in last rebuild, the 1600 SO Haines, that I was a quite taken with the colour combination of white and orange, but I have never been able to find Orange outdoor carpet.

Well, I found some today, ripped up the newly fitted carpet in the Ventura, and did it again:

IMG_4030.jpg IMG_4032.jpg

Ok, maybe it's a bit more red than orange, but I reckon it looks great.

This has made the rest of the upholstery colours fall into place, (in my mind at least).

I won't say much more now, in case I change my mind...

Little steps...

Thanks Giddy, That makes it a bit clearer. I new that the stiffness of carpet just wouldn't work, but I think I know the stuff your talking about.
    I've been slack with mine, as far as documenting it, had a couple of disasters with outsourcing the structural fibre glass work, but getting back
    on track now. In fact, there is copious amounts of work being done on it at the moment, which I will put a thread up on soon.
    There's a lot of things now I see in your re build thread, that I'm quietly saying to myself "why didn't I do that" But, never mind, we learn as we go as the saying goes. Thanks giddy, probably 2-3 weeks away from starting my cuddy carpeting, so you have given me a few clues to go on.

Cheers
    Col

An old motor trimmer told my the spray contact adhesive was like having sex in a canoe - fxcking near water. I know u can thin and spray the real thing. But all good if its working. I bought a 4 box of selleys four litre tins for my floor. Farking expensive. Guess i should have thinned that a bit. Used nearly 3 cans.

I think that old motor trimmer had some wild fantasies

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    Back to trimming the little Ventura.

You may recall in last rebuild, the 1600 SO Haines, that I was a quite taken with the colour combination of white and orange, but I have never been able to find Orange outdoor carpet.

Well, I found some today, ripped up the newly fitted carpet in the Ventura, and did it again:

IMG_4030.jpg IMG_4032.jpg

Ok, maybe it's a bit more red than orange, but I reckon it looks great.

This has made the rest of the upholstery colours fall into place, (in my mind at least).

I won't say much more now, in case I change my mind...

Little steps...
    That red would be a safety colour! All you gotta do is craft the black carpet into a "V" for Ventura and you've got a permanently installed V-sheet!

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I had a good think about the cabin lining and decided to give it a serious go, rather than 1/2 assed mucking about.

Bought a new load of backless carpet, bought a cheap 2mm suction spray (glue) gun and I got a couple litres of spraying glue from an upholsterer friend.
    The method was to carefully pull down the patchwork that was my 1st attempt and cut out one piece and glue it up properly.

Here's the original removed with all the pieces firmly glued together used as a template for the 1 piece:
    IMG_4046.jpg IMG_4047.jpg

Before the new piece could go up, I had to flowcoat and fleck all the areas that were not going to be covered. I saw from the 1st attempt that the 40yr old flowcoat was spoiling the whole effect, so it needed doing again.

The good glue was a revelation. Easily held the carpet in place and let me move it about a bit before final fixing.
    IMG_4048.jpg IMG_4069.jpg

I don't think I could have done it without the template. I'm sure the pro's know how, but I don't.
    All that was left to do was to cut in the edges, which went pretty well. Not perfect, but pretty good.
    I had an epiphany regarding the back rest covers, so I used some left over carpet as a sample - red on st'b'd side, grey/black fleck on port. I'll let the son make his choice when he gets back from holidays...
    IMG_4065.jpg IMG_4066.jpg

I've made up new bunk boards and I'll get them to the upholsterer next week. That brown disaster can't stay...

I finished the helm seats and repainted them. Here they are in highbuild just before final sanding and paint:
    IMG_4035.jpg

And here, set up with original upholstery and the other fitted with new marine ply backing boards with 3x coats of everdure...
    IMG_4073.jpg IMG_4074.jpg

I was pretty lucky in that all of the original timbers were good enough to use as templates, with only minor fettling necessary to make them perfect:

While I had the black 2 pac out to fleck the flowcoat, I painted the front cover of the outboard {which had somehow managed to slip through the cracks for the past few weeks), and added the decals and soundproofing.
    IMG_4037.jpg IMG_4036.jpg IMG_4038.jpg

Pretty happy with those decals...

I got the gearbox back today and it is now in highbuild waiting for a break in the weather so I can spray it black and fit it up. That will be all the mechanicals complete.

This coming week, I hope to get the rear jump seats, the helm seats and the bunks and backrests to the upholsterer to work his magic.
    I'd also like to get the bow rail looked at. May go for a more modern design... Maybe not...

The joys of fit-out...

Hey Giddyup, Luv your work.
    As previously mentioned, following your re lining with interest. I guess I have to try and do it once, so I'll be trying to make templates or the like.
    I guess, if you can get it looking half decent, I don't think it matters how many joins there are, but your second effort with less joins is ideal.
    This spraying glue you got, does it have a name ??? from memory the first effort you did you used the spray can, how was that to pull off ?, do you recon
    it would have held it up there over the journey ?????

Col

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hey Giddyup, Luv your work.
    This spraying glue you got, does it have a name ??? from memory the first effort you did you used the spray can, how was that to pull off ?, do you recon it would have held it up there over the journey ?????
    Col
    Hey Col.
    I can get the name for you tomorrow, but I know that Daley's at Archerfield sell it by the litre and by the 20litre drum.
    I think the 20 is under $200, so just pop into any suburban upholsterer and see if he'll part with a couple litres for 20 or 30 bucks.
    It is infinitely better than the spray stuff.
    It was very easy to pull down, as I had decided to use it sparingly because it is so expensive - 1 small can cost $20 and does not go very far when used correctly. Having said that, when used correctly, the adhesion was very good, just the coverage was terrible.
    All the lining in the Ventura took 1.5 litres of glue from the gun, and will Not come off easily.
    Shop around for a 2mm gun. I got mine NEW from the Paint Place for $25 off gumtree...
    Good luck.

Ausfish Silver Member

Had a play with the little Ventura today. The gearbox had turned up, so hit it with some 2 pack black yesterday afternoon and left it to dry overnight.

I found all the nuts, washers and the bolt to secure the box to the trunk, then turned the place inside out to find the flotorque hub for the Laser 2 propeller. Eventually found it and after spending a disproportionate amount of time fitting the water tube into the trunk, I finally got the leg on.

Quick trip to the servo for 20 litres of 95 octane, add a bit of oil, decant into rear tank, prime the carbs, choke for 8 seconds - Oh Joy! Instant noise!

Adjusted the idle, checked for leaks, checked gear selection - Job done.

IMG_4083.jpg

Continuing problem with portrait shots...

Anyhoo, getting closer every day. Not much left to do now...

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I got the boat and trailer registered, which was a bigger job than anticipated.
    Not the boat - that was easy.
    The trailer...
    I decided to put it over the weigh bridge, "just to be sure' about the weight.
    I thought a 1300kg rated trailer would be more than adequate, however the weigh bridge didn't agree:

That's with no fuel, no gear, no seats or upholstery...

OK - solution - New 1500kg gal springs and new 13" tyres rated to 800kg each. The bearings were Ford, rated to 1500kg and the axle was 45mm round rated to 1500kg, so all good for a 1500kg rating. Which should do.

Tell you, I was surprised to see 1220kg on the scales...

So the son got back from his O/S holiday and we put the boat in for a test run.

IMG_4197.jpg

Unfortunately, it shat a power pack within a few minutes, so we limped back to the ramp and went home.

New power packs and tried again last weekend.

Good Grief.
    The darn thing is quick.
    4,000 rpm cruise - 30 knots verified by 3 GPS
    5,300 rpm WOT - 40 knots
    Spinning a 19" Laser II, which I reckon can come up a hole or 2 (maybe).
    May be able to squeeze a bit more out of it.

No exciting pic's, but the son has a Navic drone, so maybe we can get some good footage next time...

With as much tact as he could muster, he asked that I lose the orange carpet.
    What would he know! - He's colour blind!!!
    But it is his boat, so I have changed the carpets over...

The upholsterer has done a great job for us, and the helm seats are done and fitted, as are the rear quarter seats and fold up table. The bunks and back rests have been promised for next week, so it looks like it's just about done...

I'll get some photos up when the upholstery is all fitted.

Then maybe I'll be able to get back into the Mustang so I can finish that too...

Ausfish Platinum Member

Tell you, I was surprised to see 1220kg on the scales...
    weighbridges have a knack of doing that--they ALWAYS weigh more "than you think". Every single boat I've ever weighed came in at least 200kg more than I thought it would. As for vehicles--I put my fully loaded ute over a weighbridge before I left for my recent holiday. Even without the weight of the trailer on the drawbar, it was, well, lets just say it would be an amazing testimonial to Nissan Patrol toughness. It's been carting this same load long distances over shocking roads and tracks for a very long time, and you just can't get a GVM upgrade on anything which would cover that weight. So the camper will have to live on a 2 tonne trailer from now on.

BTW, great job on the boat.

Haha Giddy i thought that carpet was a throw back to the 70's wall paper i see your son has taste lol

40 knots on this old girl would have your skin peeling off haha suprized she weighs 1.2 ton i think i will be in for a huge shock with my boat hopefully trailer passes as 2ton

Giddy, awesome work, your son now has a beautiful boat. Retro is all the fashion now, somehow the grey backrest is a bit of a let down, maybe black would have lifted it. I'm sure you both will get years of enjoyment from her.

Was the 1220 Kg the stand alone weight of the rig or the weight on the trailer wheels with the car still connected and taking the ball weight off?

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Was the 1220 Kg the stand alone weight of the rig or the weight on the trailer wheels with the car still connected and taking the ball weight off?
    Disconnected from tow vehicle, jockey wheel down, tow vehicle well clear of weigh pad.