Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Re: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

How'd u go with the last run?

Ausfish Silver Member

Took the boat out on show day.
    Very calm on the bay, so put in at Fisherman Island and went for a run to Peel and back, to check motor height and fuel consumption.

On the way to the ramp, we stopped at the Port of Brisbane weigh-bridge at the Pritchard Road turn off on the Port of Brisbane Highway, with a full load of fuel (175 litres) and safety gear, but no fishing gear and no front upholstery (est.10kg).
    Good thing we uprated the trailer to 1500kg.
    It came in at 1420kg on its own,
    1320kg connected to the car.
    OK. No need to worry any more about the trailer, which incidentally, tows beautifully and is super easy for launch and retrieve. Simply drive off/on.

Launched at Fishermans, (which was no problem but for the muck that the idiot boat-less fishermen and net casters leave on the pontoon), then flattened it for the run to Darcy, Hyubers, Hanlon, Douglas, Horseshoe Bay (stop for a look see) and off again via SW Rocks and Hope banks to the ramp.

Total of 63km. We travelled at 4,000rpm (31kts) for 1 hour with the occasional WOT burst and 10 minutes at just above idle.
    We went through only 31 litres of fuel, which works out to about 2km /litre. With tank capacities of around 175litres, that gives a theoretical range of 340kms. Work on 250kms and there's a huge safety margin I'd expect.

So that means it can safely cruise from Manly boat Harbour and return, to Tipplers (132k), Sanctuary Cove (152k or even Southport boat ramp (172k) without refueling.

The Mustang with its 300hp Suzuki is more economical, but the old Merc didn't cost anything like the Suzuki did, and the reliability seems to be ok.

I replaced both control boxes earlier with some cheap-shit Chinese gear, and to my surprise, they worked perfectly. Go figure... $71 delivered for TWO ! And they work! Mercury originals are hundreds each...
    But just in case, I have the 2 x 40 odd year old originals (which both worked, but for how long?) that will be kept aboard as spares, together with the correct tools, and I had the son do the changeover before we went, so daddy doesn't get a call to fix it if they need replacing while he's on the bay.

The upholstery turned up today.

Here's the before:

IMG_3467.jpg

And here's the after:

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

Before:

IMG_3465.jpg

After:

IMG_4182.jpg

Before:

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

After:

It has transformed into a great little boat and with everything renewed, it should give lasting fun and reliability for years to come.

It has been a joy to work on. So I suppose NOW I can get back into the Mustang...

2km's a litre thats is really good fuel economy for a Vsix 2 stroke 150hp!!! guys are seeing this kind of fuel economy from 4 strokes

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    2km's a litre thats is really good fuel economy for a Vsix 2 stroke 150hp!!! guys are seeing this kind of fuel economy from 4 strokes
    Yeah my Ventura with a DF140A is only slightly better...... that's a 15 model modern 4-stroke.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

Checked that economy again last weekend, and 2km/litre is accurate.
    I am really surprised by the economy...
    I honestly thought it would go through twice as much juice.
    I think these old 2 strokes can be a bit freaky with fuel use.
    A mate had a 1650 bullet for like 25 years, and used to rave about the economy of the 2.5 litre 200 carbie Mercury.
    My 200 2.5 on the Haines ski boat is nowhere near as economical as his, yet they are essentially the same motor.
    Luck of the draw???
    Having said that, my son is now completely happy with his little Seafarer.