Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Hi all.

A bit of progress..

The under floor alloy 110 litre tank turned up, so I got stuck into making the hatches fit.
    Bunnings sell a beaut 20mm x 20mm alloy section, 3mm thick, which was perfect to carry the hatches.
    To set the level, I used 20mm x 12mm x 1.4mm alloy to "frame" the aperture, with the 20mm on the vertical. This is the exact thickness of the deck hatches/floors - 18mm ply glassed both sides.
    So the method was to fit the frame then offer up the 20x20 to the bottom of the frame and firmly fix it to the sides of the stringer. Worked a treat:
    IMG_3922.jpg IMG_3923.jpg

here it is with the floors in place... I was a touch short on the finishing alloy...
    IMG_3924.jpg

Next, it was time to get serious about fitting all the systems.

I started with the bilge pump as it is situated under the plastic tank and cannot be reached later without a bit of trouble. After fitting the pump and the hose and connecting to the skin fitting, I had to extend the length of the 3 wires from the pump - it has a built in float switch - to the dashboard.
    Seeing I was playing with wires, I decided to fit the battery and fabricate some new battery cables and fit and wire in the new kill switch.
    Next was the stern/running/anchor light - 12v LED, then mounting of the fuel filter/water separator and the tank selection valve:
    IMG_3928.jpg

I then fitted the fuel system, which entailed fitting the centre tank and the rear tank, and running filler, breathers and fuel lines. I'm not totally happy with the position of the rear tank, as to get it out is a bit of a headache, but I do like the extra 70 litres of fuel the boat can carry...
    IMG_3935.jpg IMG_3943.jpg

The steering hoses were then fabricated and I hooked up the fuel, battery cables, shift and throttle cables and wiring harness to the motor.
    It now starts on the boats key.
    IMG_3936.jpg

I wanted a bit of a change and decided to play upholsterers:
    IMG_3934.jpg

I got the side panels covered and I'm pretty happy with the result.
    We decided to carpet the cockpit and that is coming up a treat:
    IMG_3938.jpg

And that brings us upto date.

I have been promised the gearbox for this coming week, so maybe a sea trial next weekend. Fingers crossed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Giddy i thought those sides wrre part of the hull and glassed on do u think u will loose some integrity without those being structual?

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Giddy i thought those sides wrre part of the hull and glassed on do u think u will loose some integrity without those being structual?
    Not at all. The boat lasted 40 years with a 150 on the back and no signs of any stress fractures.

I see you snuck a steering wheel in without telling us, where did you get it $$?
    No transom 'knees' although I don't think it needs them the 150 is a lot of motor and Seafarer must have thought otherwise.
    With a 150 this will be a missile.
    FWIW I put foam tape on my floor infill supports to help with nvh.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Originally they're just a piece of ply, screwed on. Nothing structural.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I
    No transom 'knees' although I don't think it needs them the 150 is a lot of motor and Seafarer must have thought otherwise.
    FWIW I put foam tape on my floor infill supports to help with nvh.
    The transom is now 50% heavier than Seafarer made them - (mine is full thickness to the keel), and the inner skin had been properly and heavily hand laminated, the inner stringers are twice as high at the transom than standard and glassed on with knitted fabrics and not just heavily attacked with a chopper gun and poorly consolidated (rollered).
    The original transom knees were not as close to the floor of the engine well as my stringers are and the engine well has 4 layers of mat-back 200/450D/B attaching it to the boat, whereas the original had it bogged on.
    I'm pretty sure the 150 is safe. ;-\

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Had a little play with the boat today.

Hardly any room behind the dash for bus bars or fuse holders, so I decided to beef up the very flimsy cover, widen it a bit and hinge it. It was originally held in place by 4 PK screws, which is so unbelievably agricultural. I glassed in some 1/2" ply so if needed, I can screw into it. Probably hang the VHF under there. There is just no room in these little 1/2 cabs. And what's with that vacant space behind the hand control? Must have a think about that and do something with it...
    IMG_3964.jpg

So with that hinged, I started installing the new instruments.The water pressure gauge needed the hose run back to the motor where there is a problem because the fitting kit doesn't cater for V6's the age of the poor old 150, so I will need to get a couple of adapters to tap into the correct water circuit. The temp gauge will work once I find the temp sender unit which has curiously gone missing after stripping the heads...

But, all in all, pretty happy with progress.
    IMG_3963.jpg IMG_3966.jpg

We didn't get a new speedo, as this boat will have GPS. There are dash mounted compasses available that are supposed to fit straight into instrument holes, so that is a sensible option. No on ever uses a compass these days, but it is still a legal requirement, so I'll see what we can find.

Another option is to hard mount the Lowrance 5" screen Hook 2 over the speedo hole and find another place for a compass. But that will necessitate a substantial modification of the already rebuilt hinged cover. I guess it only needs to be done once, and it should look pretty good when done...

There is still a bit to go with the wiring.
    I have to find a place to mount a 6 gang switch board - probably the end of the hinged cover, and we also need a place for the bilge pump control and an hour meter.

Still no gearbox. Deja vu with the little Haines SO...

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I managed to finish off the wiring to the point where the boat can be used.
    The switch panel has been fitted as have the +ve and -ve bus bars.
    Power has been brought up from the battery switch and the running and anchor lights have been wired in, as have all the engine instruments.

I found a correctly sized compass to fill the speedo hole, but it is unlit (no provision for internal illumination) and looks a bit out of place.
    It will probably look less so if I paint the square mounting flange the same colour as the boat
    IMG_3971.jpg IMG_3969.jpg

Behind the dash was very tight, but it all fitted without having to utilise the cover panel:
    IMG_3972.jpg IMG_3973.jpg

The nav light wiring is held in place by double sided tape for the moment.
    When I have finished fitting cabin lights, GPS sounder and VHF radio, I'll have a shot at lining the cabin, and the glued in carpet should hold the wires in place.

I still need to get the bilge switch in and an hour meter.

Unfortunately, the gearbox wasn't ready so no water test yet. Hopefully, soon...

Ausfish Platinum Member

Are you leaving those aluminium sections around the tank hatch unfinished and exposed? Tend to be slippery when wet.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Are you leaving those aluminium sections around the tank hatch unfinished and exposed? Tend to be slippery when wet.
    They're only 12mm wide. Doubt they could cause a slip. If they do, easy enough to paint with nonskid.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Couple of weeks since my last post, but not all that much appears to have happened even though I have spent a lot of time on it...

The sounder/plotter is now in, but that wasn't a big job...
    IMG_4003.jpg

The bilge pump control is wired in as is the engine hour meter, but I didn't get a photo...

Put down the rest of the cockpit carpet and finished the cover strips;
    Flowcoated and flecked the cabin bunks:
    IMG_4008.jpg

Started lining the cabin:
    IMG_4014.jpg IMG_4009.jpg

Now that's not as easy as it looks.
    You will notice that the front piece of carpet appears to be a different colour, but it is off the same roll. The bias of the weave is 90 degrees out, giving a totally different colour.

Rip it off, do it again, learn as you go...
    IMG_4021.jpg
    The original upholstery looks horrid and will obviously be changed, but the cushions make the cabin a lot easier to work in.

I got onto the cabin sides and ceiling, and the result is by no means professional. But I am getting more proficient with the whole procedure and I reckon I'm close to getting it right. Also, the photographs put the job in the worst possible light. It doesn't actually look as bad in the flesh, but I'm still not 100% satisfied with it.
    But notice that the unsightly wires have all disappeared?
    IMG_4025.jpg IMG_4028.jpg

I was quoted over $1,000 to get the job done, but $120 worth of carpet and $40 for a couple cans of spray adhesive, and I reckon I can do it. And if it ends up crap after the next attempt I'll rip it all out again and get the pro's in and only have wasted a couple hundred.

It's like the windscreen refurbishment. Never done one before, learn as you go, surprisingly good result, saved a heap of cash. Worth a try, but it is very time consuming.

I was all happy with the colour selections, until I found a really trick, good quality, ORANGE outdoor carpet...

Now that's got me thinking...

Gearbox should be here soon, so I'm champing at the bit to take it for a run.
    Consequentially, I had to put a bit of time into the trailer.
    The boat was sitting too high at the back and the rollers were not engaging, so I had to modify the rear roller group mounts to get them lower and adjust those in front to balance it all out. Worked a treat.
    I also had to fabricate taillight mounts and mount the new LED tail lights.
    This shot is before treating with rust preventative and cold gal and setting the rest of the rollers:
    IMG_4017.jpg

So the whole boat came down a couple of inches, the keel rollers are engaging and the wobble rollers are about 75% loaded. Hopefully, this trailer will work (unlike the Mustang's, which I still haven't had a chance to look at).
    IMG_4020.jpg

I went to fit the original bow rail, but found it has a couple defects that need attention. No, I can't straighten bent stainless tube, so I will be taking it to an expert. I'm not proposing to modernise the look of the bow rail or to add a bowsprit, as the anchor will be a little 6kg Rocna, which can be easily manhandled and will not need to be carried on a bowsprit.

Has anyone had experience with those cheap eBay bimini tops?
    My guy wants $1,000 for a bimini.
    eBay traders want about $150. I suspect they are rubbish...

While you are sorting out the bowsprit I suspect you are at the right place to get some stainless bows and ss cable for a good bimini.
    Might also be worth checking out RTM for one and use their sunbrella on your ss bows as their stock is not bad quality and frequently a fair bit less than witw000xxxs
    Boat is looking excellent.

C
    C
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    Hi all.

I found a correctly sized compass to fill the speedo hole, but it is unlit (no provision for internal illumination) ..
    Check at ya local Jaycar... They have retro fit small led illumination type kits etc.

Saw them used on a car forum, when customising old Speedos etc so night illumination matches new modern sound systems etc.

Hey Giddyup, Your doing a great job, loving your update posts.
    I'm near to doing my cuddy cabin soon as well. Is that stuff you used actually carpet, or that lining stuff ???.
    I see you use adhesive from a can, how did that go ?
    And still more questions, My Cuddy area has a lot of curves and angles, what was your end method to do yours ? have you actually put in a lot of joins,
    or did you mainly just shape and glue ???.
    Sorry for all the questions, but it may help me make less mistakes LOL.

Col

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hey Giddyup, Your doing a great job, loving your update posts.
    I'm near to doing my cuddy cabin soon as well. Is that stuff you used actually carpet, or that lining stuff ???.
    I see you use adhesive from a can, how did that go ?
    And still more questions, My Cuddy area has a lot of curves and angles, what was your end method to do yours ? have you actually put in a lot of joins,
    or did you mainly just shape and glue ???.
    Sorry for all the questions, but it may help me make less mistakes LOL.

Col
    Hey Col.
    The material is not a carpet, but is like a latter day front-runner, if you know what that is (was).
    All the Chandlers carry some. It's as tough as nails, and I've found the best way to cut it is with a very good set of dressmaker scissors and a box cutter with break off blades. Got to keep the them sharp, or else you start tearing the "carpet".

I'm by no means an expert in lining the insides of cabins and you guessed correctly - I do have a lot of joins.
    But I did discover that the material can be tortured to take compound curves and if stuck down well, doesn't seem to pop off.
    I will have another go at it, I think, and try for fewer joins and try to get larger pieces on in one go.
    I think each plane needs to be a separate piece - Ie cabin side separate from bulkhead, separate from ceiling.
    Try and use one piece to go around the cabin windows. Joins in highly visible areas can't be hidden...
    I did inside all the cupboards on a big cat I built years ago, and that worked out really well. But I do admit, this little 16'er is getting the better of me.
    I'm using Selleys spray adhesive - about $20 a can at Bunnings and it holds pretty well if the instructions are followed.
    I tried the Sikaflex spray glue thinking it would be worlds best, but it was very average.
    I did get a can from Daley's (trim supplier) and it was beaut, but it would want to be for $44 per can!

Good luck with the refurb.

Do a build thread with lots of pictures!