Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Bit of an update.

Fitted a 50 litre alloy fuel tank that came with the boat. There is a 100 litre under floor tank currently under construction, giving a total of 150 litres. The old 150hp Black Max's are thirsty by today's standards, so 150 litres should be safe...

Flow-coated the area under the engine well, flow-coated the rear deck before reattachment, then epoxied the deck back where it belonged:
    IMG_3673.jpg

Double 450db in vinyl-ester to attach to transom from the inside:
    IMG_3676.jpg

And the same again on the outside:
    IMG_3675.jpg

Then onto spot repairs of all preexisting damage, old fitting mounting holes and stress fractures in the gel coat:
    IMG_3711.jpg IMG_3712.jpg IMG_3713.jpg

Bog up the nasty bits - epoxy and micro balloons.
    You will notice the Mustang in the background is getting the bogging business as well to it's outboard pod:
    IMG_3720.jpg

Lots of sanding, and get it ready for highbuild:
    IMG_3722.jpg

Bogging usually take 2 goes for something complicated like a transom well, but this one with all the modifications, proved to be a bit more problematic, so I had a 3rd go at it and chose to highbuild everything else, so as not to get too held up:
    IMG_3723.jpg IMG_3724.jpg

Then jump in the car for a 7 hour round trip to buy a trailer for the little beastie:
    IMG_3710.jpg

Next job is to final sand the bog and high-build the well and transom.
    Jotun Penguard HB usually sands better if left to cure for a couple of days, so I'll raise the boat a bit and pay a bit of attention to the hull (chine to chine, underwater) and topsides (chine to gunnel) and get them into high build.

May have a look at the trailer too, which needs 3 new cross members. But the rest looks OK...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do they still sell Tinka Seafarer Classic or is that really good second hand?
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Do they still sell Tinka Seafarer Classic or is that really good second hand?
    I’ve got a Tinka Seafarer Classic that is 20 years old and still like new.

I’m pretty sure Tinka still make a Classic but not sure if marketed as a Seafarer Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Great find!!!!

It looks like my 2000 one but smaller..........
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Silver Member

It’s a 2001 model. I particularly like it because it has keel rollers as well as the wobble rollers.
    All 3 crossbraces are shot, but they are an easy fix.
    I’ll drop the subframe off and check for rust on the main rails (also easy replacement if necessary), change the old tail lights for new LED’s, service brakes and bearings, fit bearing buddies, possibly fit new plastic guards, then it should go a few years more.
    I was very lucky. It’s a beaut little trailer.

Ausfish Silver Member

When we left off, the deck and cabin were in 1st coat of high build, the transom and engine well were getting lots of attention with epoxy bog and the hull had been ignored.

The next step was to get the boat a bit higher and get stuck into preparation of the hull. It was a bit of a mess, but eventually got it sanded and repairs under way. Major problems were damage to the lifting strakes and deep gouges, caused by the absolutely wrong trailer.

IMG_3725.jpg IMG_3726.jpg IMG_3728.jpg IMG_3729.jpg IMG_3730.jpg

Once that was done, I got back into the transom and well and the results looks pretty good once high build was applied:
    IMG_3732.jpg

I put it back on the ground and sanded the deck and cabin and considering the amount of repairs done, it has come up pretty good. I will most likely get away with spot filler and careful sanding rather than re- high building the entire top half. I'll see.
    IMG_3760.jpg

So back up in the air and high-build the hull and topsides. Took a bit to get it right, but finally managed to get the gloss on. I used Oyster White Jotun Imperite top coat, which I'm really happy with. Same paint and colour I used on the 1600SO Haines:
    IMG_3761.jpg IMG_3762.jpg IMG_3763.jpg

Had a little paint still mixed, so I painted the fiberglass seat shells and the front hatches. (This picture is before painting):
    IMG_3759.jpg

I've ordered another kit of paint, so hopefully I can get the deck and cabin painted and the non-skid as well over the Easter long weekend.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Haven't been able to get any painting done over the weekend so far, but I did spend a day on the road collecting "Gumtree" parts and another repairing the trailer. I got 'ol mate Cyril over to give me a hand so we could get it done in the 1 day. Unfortunately, we couldn't run both welders at the same time, but we did get it all done.

1st, we stripped all the rollers, winch post, jockey wheel, spare wheel, lights and trailer coupling, then we dropped the sub-frame and flipped the frame to check under the main rails. Thankfully, they were still solid - saved a lot of work...
    IMG_3766.jpg IMG_3765.jpg

The rear brace was still solid, but I added a stiffener, just in case.

The next 2 were rotten, so they were replaced:
    IMG_3768.jpg

I then grinder-wire brushed the entire trailer and X-tolled everything, so it should keep the rust monster at bay for while yet.

IMG_3770.jpg
    (Tried 4 times to get this photo to sit the right way, but it wont, sorry).

I fitted most of it back together, so it can be moved and support itself. The winch post and spare can go on any time. But I still want to replace a couple U bolts that had to be destroyed to remove, replace the keel rollers, and refurbish the multi roller brackets and frames. I've found the easiest way is to strip them, replace whatever steel (if any) needs replacing, then drop the lot to the galvanisers.
    I've ordered a new set of LED trailer lights and wiring and all the fixing and adjustment bolts and existing U bolts have been treated with Tef Gel, which is a hideously expensive lubricant/anti-galling/anti-rust treatment specifically for nuts and bolts.
    A new set of bearing buddies and new gal. wire for the brakes and she'll be like a bought one!

The 3rd day, I spent sanding the deck, cabin and cockpit. Even had the weather been perfect, I still would have done it.

Hopefully, the weather Gods will be kind tomorrow and I can get it done.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.
    And the saga continues...

So the Easter break was a washout, but that didn't stop me from painting. Genius. The whole lot blushed and had to come off due to the contamination from trees and insects and the blushing...
    IMG_3787.jpg IMG_3793.jpg

Impossible to tell from the photos, but it was awful. The hull and topsides look great - no contamination and plenty of gloss and little peel - just what you want. But the decks were barely passable and the cabin top and the engine-well were disasters. Lots of little 5mm leaves, bat poo, large insects and blushing. Silly me. Should have waited or painted it in Arnie's booth.

Anyway, I put it on the newly repaired trailer and pulled it onto the driveway (which is devoid of trees) and resolved to start painting no later than 10am;
    IMG_3796.jpg

I spent days sanding, but eventually it was ready, but I was held up with a week of solid showers, so I turned my attention to the engine and the cowls which were original 1979 items that needed lots of attention. The motor had a major birthday. We decided to pull the exhaust cover and were pleasantly surprised to find no nasties, so we confidently pulled the heads expecting the same, but were disappointed to find that the heads had rotted from the inside out:
    IMG_3748.jpg

Also, there were 3 new pistons in the port side, but the head had been peppered with shrapnel and not replaced:
    IMG_3741.jpg

I got onto Glen at Allparts Outboard who came to the rescue yet again with a beaut set of later model (compatible) heads. So the motor is now restored, but looking a bit crap, so I gave it a quick hit with black 2 pac, and it now looks like new:
    IMG_3817.jpg

(Don't know why it keeps listing the photos as landscape only. It's portrait in my computer...)

The cowls were awful too and I couldn't believe how long they took to get right:
    IMG_3826.jpg IMG_3830.jpg

I had earlier painted the seats, but was unhappy with the stress fractures. Ruined an otherwise nice pair of seats...
    So I got the grinder out, prepped and glassed:
    IMG_3825.jpg

Yesterday the 1st good sunny day we have had in a while, so I finished prepping the engine cowls and gave them a hit with the black 2 pac.

I spent the rest of the day preparing the deck, cabin and engine well for a repaint, and today, managed to get the painting started by 10am.
    It went really well and I'm happy with the result:
    IMG_3833.jpg IMG_3834.jpg IMG_3835.jpg

Next will be the stripes and non skid, but need to let the paint harden for a couple of days.

In the meantime, I'll drop some bits to Ravi for chrome plating (which I should have done weeks ago!) and go to AlFab, who reputedly made the widows for the boat back in the day, to see if I can get some bailey channel and rubber to restore the side windows.

Giddy u seem to have more stamina than a 21 year old bloke where do u find this energy? Is it some herbal tea or something

Can u let.me know how u went about getting your transom perfectly flat? Did u use a fairing board or a pnumatic straight line sander?

Ausfish Silver Member

Can u let.me know how u went about getting your transom perfectly flat? Did u use a fairing board or a pnumatic straight line sander?[/QUOTE]

PM'd

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Great write up and project info!

I'm envious of your practical skills. But, no doubt my Mrs is glad I don't have them otherwise I'd have a yard full of projects... Half finished.

Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Keep the updates rolling...

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I had a chance to get the engine cowls done:
    IMG_3842.jpg

The decals were amazing. Very happy with the end result. The textured vinyl is very effective and has given the motor that "new from factory" look.
    IMG_3853.jpg IMG_3854.jpg

I wasn't sure on what colour to do the stripes, so my son (who owns this boat), chose black. We did a similar paint job on an 1850 Bullet some years ago which he liked. But not my 1st choice.
    IMG_3840.jpg

I was getting a bit over sanding masking and painting, so I had a play with the front hatch window. I went to AlFab and bought some of their rubber sealing bead, window felt (for the side sliders) and and a piece of perspex and a quick stop at Bunnings for a perspex specific jigsaw blade. The old frame pulled apart and cleaned up easily enough, the old perspex templated the new and after a few minutes, an as new front hatch window:
    IMG_3843.jpg

I really have no idea why this site has now decided to lay over portrait photos. It never used to...

Anyhoo, the seat mouldings were next in line, so I rough faired the repair, added epoxy bog and faired it in, a good layer of high-build and ready for a final sand and colour:
    IMG_3844.jpg IMG_3857.jpg

After the stripe colour was decided, the rest was easy. I had paint for non-skid left over from the Mustang build which just happened to be the right shade of gray, so mask and prep and that's now done:
    IMG_3846.jpg IMG_3847.jpg

It was getting a bit late when I applied the non-skid, so I reused the skirt masking and formed a tent over the new paint to protect it from overnight dew. Worked a treat:
    IMG_3848.jpg

Last painting job was the cabin stripes. I'm still not totally convinced that black is the right colour, but with a black bimini, chine tape and white gunnel rubber with a black insert, it may just look right...
    IMG_3852.jpg

Which brigs us to yesterday, when the project took another big leap forward.
    The motor was finally done (except for gearbox - sound familiar), and it was married to the hull. A little bit of fettling to fit up the hydraulic steering ram and there it is:
    IMG_3851.jpg

What's next?

In the short term, I'd like to get the gunnel rubber and the chine tape on and have a go at rebuilding the side windows and fitting them. Then probably concentrate on getting the motor fired up, which means wiring.
    Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike wiring?

You do some A class work Giddy

great work master craftsman, they could be the best decals i have ever seen, absolutely bang on.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I picked up some Gunnel rubber from a guy on Gumtree. He was apologetic that he only had a full roll measuring 11.2m (what an odd size), but luckily for me, the Ventura just happens to be exactly 11.2m on the gunnel!

I decided to block the topsides down with 800, 1200, 2000 then 3000 wet and dry and then give it a good machine cut prior to fitting the gunnel. It's really easy to burn the rubber when machine polishing the boat.

Absolutely worth the effort.

While i was at it, I coiled the gunnel rubber into a 44 gallon drum and added quite a bit of hot water to soften it up a bit. Managed to get it on where it should be, but without glue as I want it to cycle a few days and nights to take the bumps out.

But it is sitting there nicely and gave me a much better idea about the colour scheme.
    It is definitely growing on me, but more importantly, the lad loves it.

IMG_3864.jpg IMG_3860.jpg

Last on the list was to recondition the side windows. What I thought would take an hour stretched into 3, but the end result made it worthwhile.

Broke out the Sikaflex and final fitted both side windows and front hatch glass (perspex).
    IMG_3861.jpg IMG_3863.jpg IMG_3862.jpg

I'd like to have a look at the windscreen in the next couple of days to see if it can be salvaged.
    The perspex will be easy enough to swap out, but I have a suspicion that the frame has been "interfered with " too many times to be able to be brought up to an acceptable standard.